HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted May 12, 2006, 12:55 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Amazing.. was just asking about this the other day:

From the Spokesman Review:

Park Board approves plan for science center downtown
Mike Prager
Staff writer
May 11, 2006

Proposed locationMap data ©2006 Tele Atlas - Terms of Use

The Spokane Park Board today unanimously approved a business and fund-raising plan for a proposed science center on the north side of Riverfront Park, but set new timelines and other performance requirements to ensure the project moves ahead as proposed.

Leaders of the non-profit Mobius civic organization want to build a 45,000-square-foot science center, a new 7,825-square-foot IMAX theater and a 348-car parking garage at an estimated cost of $33 million.

The Park Board is requiring Mobius to raise $4 million in the next year, another $10 million by May 2008 and another $12 million by May 2009, at which point construction could begin. The remaining 20 percent of the money would have to be raised by May 2010. Deadline for opening the facility was set for Nov. 11, 2010.

Failure to meet the timelines would invalidate a Mobius lease to use 5.7 acres of publicly owned park land, according to a resolution approved by the Park Board today. The land was purchased with $3.5 million from a 1999 voter-approved bond issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

The strict timelines were imposed after Mobius took three years to develop its business plan, or two more years than originally anticipated when the science center lease was initially approved in 2003 with the Inland Northwest Science and Technology Center, which later became Mobius in a merger with the Children’s Museum of Spokane.

Cost concerns raised during development of the plan led to a downsizing of the proposed center by a combined 22,000 square feet.

Jim Karel, president of the Mobius board, told Park Board members, “We have heard your issues and concerns and we have listened.”

He said, “You have held our heels to the fire. We have accepted that.”

Park Board member Ron Rector said, “I sincerely hope it happens.”

Dave Remington, a member of the Mobius board and a retired chief financial officer for Itron Inc., told Park Board members, “We thank you all for the opportunity to contribute something truly of value to the community.”

In the Mobius business plan, Remington estimated that annual attendance at a science center would be about 147,000, and that admissions and concessions would produce more than $1.3 million in the fifth year of operation. He studied financial and attendance data for science centers in 20 cities of similar size to Spokane and visited four of the centers.

Earlier this month, he said he was using conservative financial data in coming up with a plan that shows the center would in all likelihood be financially successful, earning a net profit of $150,000 by its fifth year.

The project calls for constructing a new three-dimensional IMAX theater at the science center, which would become an important moneymaker and a draw for visitors. The science center would also take advantage of ongoing sponsorships and grants to improve its cash flow, Remington said.

Park Board President Frank Knott said the aging IMAX in Riverfront Park, which has maintenance problems, should be replaced since it cannot handle a new generation of 3-D films, and that the Mobius project would avoid asking taxpayers to finance a new theater.

The only opposition at today’s meeting came from local resident Rusty Vlahovich, who told the Park Board she believed the proposal was too costly, and that it would emphasize entertainment over science education. She also raised concerns about a plan to develop and sublease five commercial buildings over the next decade to produce income for the center.

“I’m frightened we’ll get 10 years into this and regret it,” Vlahovich said.

Among the restrictions on the Mobius lease, any subleases granted for areas adjacent to Riverfront Park can only be for publicly oriented businesses or programs.

Park Board President Knott said the plan all along was to develop the science center without the use of tax-funded subsidies, and that another restriction on the lease prohibits a parking garage from having frontage facing Howard Street or Riverfront Park to the south.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by oilcan; May 12, 2006 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2006, 2:16 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Wonder what plans they have for the Pavilion? It would be nice if they update the use and maybe spray the wiring/loop on top to give a updated look! The Pavilion needs to be used more than now. Maybe an amphitheater? ...but then they didn't keep up with the Boeing Amphithater either! Looks like they plan to have a new Carousel Building next to the Skyride area in the future.

Old Posted May 12, 2006, 3:39 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^^ This is where planners/Spokane really needs to be carefull IMO... The N. Bank idea posted earlier has been scailed down tremendesly.. few ideas where thrown out from what I read.. Shifting the IMAX, new Carousel etc could be very devistating to the existing park if the "void" is not delt with properly IMO. One idea was to:

Open up the north end of the pavilion exposing a view to the river.
Taking out and relocating the ice rink outside.
Creating an open pavillion auditorium for concerts
Using the existing Imax for regular movies.

I do like this idea, as I always thought the pavilion was used far to less to it's potiential.. Let's face it during the summer a beat down minature golf course, some pathetic carney rides and a roller coaster I could probably erect with a garbage can and a few 2X4's does not do any justice for a building that was the spotlight for the world in it's day. Following the past and structure with the "canopy" I would like to see that added again of course with something that can bare the eliments vs having the canopy tearing and flaping around as it did in the 80's. Add a nice area for concerts/theater/public events etc with nice seating flowing around angling up almost in a bowl ..stretched around flowing with the shape of it.... added along the upper top with with a museum/center honoring Expo 74 with momentos from the fair shops/restaurantant something maybe touristy? This one maybe on my odd vision list but I also thought maybe a huge permanant ferris wheel outside Something real tall to compliment it.. Not quite the scale as London's or Yokohama's wheel but you can imagine the idea.

Spokane does not need to turn it's Worlds Fair pavillion into a blah hangout for thugs and let go to hell.. shifting complete movment to the North Banks.. Expo 74 was a gift and while I did attend as a young todler I often hear from many that too many structures were torn down erasing the past. The North banks is a good idea but if used as a "balance" not distracting but adding to the park.

I just hopped off my soap box

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 1:49 AM
Hub for an Empire

The reason, as I recall, as a Category 3 World's Fair (under Bureau of International Expositions requirements), the permanent structures are limited, after the exhibition. That is why only a few structures remain from the fair. On top of that, the future use was for a public park...after Expo. The U.S. Pavilion for Expo '82, in Knoxville, was imploded in the early 90's after disrepair according to Emporis, so Spokane should be thankful for what remains after 32 years!

I agree there needs to be additional uses for the current buildings. I would think with the population of downtown increasing on all sides around Riverfront Park, that these structures will have more value in future years!

Wish I was only a toddler during the Expo years, but then again, I won't remember Spokane preparing for the Fair! It was a good thing for the INW Region and too bad it took the area, up to now to move to the next phase!

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 4:56 AM
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Ok, I'll admit, my last post did NOT, I repeat, did NOT add anything to this conversation. Now, perhaps many of my posts have not added much to the Spokane talk, but you all have to remember, I used to live in Spokane, and my entire family pretty much lives in Spokane (indeed, the same Spokane that you are all talking about).

To be honest, I have not been back much, except for last christmas. I saw the Convention Center, as well as some new things that I don't ever recall being shown on the forum (they were probably too small to really be of concern, but I did notice some changes, which was nice).

I wish I could have took some pictures, but sadly, the trip was not very long, and most of it was spent either WAY out in the boondocks at my inlaws place, or in the valley at my grandparents. I didn't get much of a chance to go anywhere else, except for Coeur d'Alene to almost be murdered by my brother in laws HORRIBLE driving. I may be going back to Spokane for Thanksgiving though, but once again, doubt I'll be able to take much pictures.

As for the Convention Center, it adds A LOT to the city. I saw the hole in the ground for the new Davenport, which was good to see, as it means they are at least building it.

I didn't get to see the World's Fair in Spokane, as I don't think I had excaped my mothers womb yet. However, I think that they should change the area under the big twirly white thing and make it more people oriented, maybe like a square for people to hang out. No Druggies or Evil People Allowed! Just kidding, druggies are ok, just as long as they are not doing their drugs there! Evil people suck though!

So, yeah, I'm running out of things to say, but as you can see, this post did bring a little to the subject. As for my comment about not dissing Cal Poly, I was just being humourous.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 2:51 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

ChildMetro.. ^ Based on your consistant trash talk (mindfull of an 8 year old) and "poorly hidden" feeble attempt to once again slam Spokane that has been going on for years (especially when a Spokane thread gets going).. I would say that this particular post that you "actually" spent time at 9:56pm on a Friday night shows that you might want to actually invest in a life and focus what little energy you displayed in something worth while..

Comments you made such as (the following quoted below) justifies your great lack of knowledge about the region, and makes people question your intelligence to say the least....

"they should change the area under the big twirly white thing and make it more people oriented, maybe like a square for people to hang out"

Keep this garbage off the post unless that is really you? and you are just that plain stupid, ignorant, and nieve.. then I deeply apologize to anyone reading this thread....

Last edited by oilcan; May 13, 2006 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 2:57 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

I know he has plans for one up from Riverside as well and west (Sunset Hill pictured after story not sure of fate?) or are they the same?... maybe a consolidation would be nice to fill a void.. ohhh.. just E. of the B.O.A building..

From the Review: Take if as it is...

Condo tower plan struck down
'Negative effects' of building on Peaceful Valley cited
Alison Boggs
Staff writer
May 13, 2006

Spokane's hearing examiner shot down a proposed 196-foot condominium tower rising from Peaceful Valley, saying Riverview on Riverside's height would unfairly harm the neighborhood and could open the door to similar projects.

"The design appears to turn its back on Peaceful Valley and does not mitigate the negative effects of the increased height on adjacent properties," Hearing Examiner Greg Smith wrote in his decision. "If this tower is approved then it sets precedent for future similar projects. In that case, the height restrictions found in the (building) code essentially go away and the reasons for enacting them in the first place will not be realized."

Advertisement

Developer Mick McDowell said he will appeal the decision to Spokane County Superior Court and is considering suing the city. McDowell said the land-use change preventing him from building the 52-unit condominium tower was enacted in 2003 without property owners' knowledge. On part of his property, McDowell would be allowed to build 150 feet above Riverside Avenue. But another portion of the property, which stretches down into Peaceful Valley, restricts structures to 35 feet high. McDowell sought a variance to build the tower.

"I'm obviously terribly disappointed that the process didn't allow me to bring to fruition a condo project that I've had in front of the city since 1999," McDowell said. "The city planning department saw fit to take away my development rights and force me to petition the hearing examiner for a variance to build something I've been planning for seven years. They did so without any public notice or public hearing."

The city's planning department has convened a stakeholder group, including property owners, to examine those development regulations and make adjustments if necessary, said Ken Pelton, a city planner. Any recommended changes would be sent to the planning commission, and then to the city council, Pelton said.

Peaceful Valley residents, however, applauded the hearing examiner's decision, saying the proposed development does not benefit their neighborhood. The first three stories would provide parking for the tower with the garage entrance in Peaceful Valley.

"A 200-foot tower, I think anybody in any neighborhood would be fighting that," said Gary Jewell, a Peaceful Valley property owner. "My hope would be they would go back to the drawing board and start thinking outside the box, literally, and try to do something that provides a more human scale and more pedestrian interaction with the neighborhood."

McDowell, who said he is weighing his legal and architectural options, also has proposed building a 150-foot-high tower straight up from Riverside, which would be allowed with current zoning. It would cast a greater shadow on the neighborhood because more of it would rise above Riverside, he said. Some 86 feet of the 196-foot tower denied by the hearing examiner would stretch up from Peaceful Valley to Riverside, leaving 110 feet of the tower above Riverside.

Sunset Hll: Anyone have any info on this?

Last edited by oilcan; May 13, 2006 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 3:47 PM

not sure at to the fate of the sunset hill project. I notice that the sign is still up on the site, but I have not noticed a "notice of application" sign. that would be a nice project. I would really like to see some activity on and around sunset hill. As for the riverview project, I am not sure why the people of peaceful valley do not work with Mr. McDowell. He has attempted to work with the people of peaceful valley and make the building aestheticly pleasing. The building will be built if he wants!!! Under his second plan it will cast a larger shadow on peaceful valley. Sheesh people......it will be worse for you if you don't work will him as the article stated.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 4:04 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Actually I think I would like it up there (Riverside) it would add more height (150ft) to w. downtown.. vs sunken and only 110ft above Riverside.... I liked the design of this tower.. I hope it stays the same if he pushes it up the hill some...

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 4:53 PM
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan
ChildMetro.. ^ Based on your consistant trash talk (mindfull of an 8 year old) and "poorly hidden" feeble attempt to once again slam Spokane that has been going on for years (especially when a Spokane thread gets going).. I would say that this particular post that you "actually" spent time at 9:56pm on a Friday night shows that you might want to actually invest in a life and focus what little energy you displayed in something worth while..

Comments you made such as (the following quoted below) justifies your great lack of knowledge about the region, and makes people question your intelligence to say the least....

"they should change the area under the big twirly white thing and make it more people oriented, maybe like a square for people to hang out"

Keep this garbage off the post unless that is really you? and you are just that plain stupid, ignorant, and nieve.. then I deeply apologize to anyone reading this thread....
To be honest, some of what I wrote was a joke, not meant to be taken seriously. I wouldn't say that I don't know much about the region, as I follow what is posted here and actually read the stuff. To be honest, I'm glad you guys post about Spokane because it's one of the reasons I come to the forum. I want to know what is going on there, as I do go to Spokane and lived there for 3 years.

I would, however, not say that I am ignorant. I have been through a great deal in life, FAR more than most people my age. The twirly white thing was a joke, but to be honest, I don't know the actual name for it.

As for the reason I trash talk Spokane, it's not really the city I dislike, but how many of the projects that would help the city thrive never happen. I can't say Spokane is the only city like this, but in other cities I have lived there is so much going on that you kind of forget the projects that didn't happen or just knew certain projects wouldn't right away as they were just "too good to be true". Personally, I would not live in Spokane, but I think some of the areas, such as the South Hill are beautiful, especially for a city of its size. I also am impressed with many of the older homes in Spokane that you just don't see being built like that anymore. Spokane also has some great parks and the park at the base of the falls that is planned sounds great.

Last edited by MrMetropolitan; May 13, 2006 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:13 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^ Now that post actually can be valued some with opinions..with a few positives and is a far cry from that rubbish "mockery" piece you posted earlier. In no way am I trying to play "police man" on this thread but based on your past and the fact that you have really diverted some good Spokane threads you needed to be called out.

You said some key things I answered them:

"As for the reason I trash talk Spokane, it's not really the city I dislike, but how many of the projects that would help the city thrive never happen" Constant negativity hinders forward momentum.... dissapointment is one thing but constant trash talking is really not the answer however, valued opinion...

"The twirly white thing was a joke, but to be honest, I don't know the actual name for it".

The U.S. Pavillion/Spokane Pavillion the main center stage for the 1974 Worlds Fair

http://www.expomuseum.com/ little history lesson when you get time

"I'm glad you guys post about Spokane because it's one of the reasons I come to the forum"
I am glad you like that we post.. I live a thousand or so miles away and still/always will appriciate the city...try to contribute to it as much as I can and encourage/promote/support growth.. but I can even remember a few years ago when I was Shonan1 here it was a constant "Spokane Bashing" with you... gets old my freind... especially when so many contribute to get good info out about the Lilac City.... "It's not Seattle/SF" we all know but it is where many of us called/call home/and has history to many of us so support it we will.. I would encourage you to do the same or keep you shots to your self..

"I think some of the areas, such as the South Hill are beautiful, I also am impressed with many of the older homes in Spokane that you just don't see being built like that anymore"

Spokane is lucky to have it's past and architecture around the turn of the century Spokane was the envy of many cites west of the Mississippi with it's unique architcture and sudden growth.....Part of what is/has gone on in Spokane is a revitalization of that realizing that it's history just might be the answer to "kickstarting" it's future... One example is what the Davenport hotel did for that section of downtown...The new residential/hotel tower being built by the owner of the Davenport (Worthy) next to it will be a nice addition and is itself a direct effect from the growth in that particular area/district..

"but how many of the projects that would help the city thrive never happen".

But how many have happend? or are in development that you were just not aware of? or you did not stop to reallze the ones that did occur that you missed smaller in scale are stepping stones/foundations that will create a huge impact for a city of it's size? Kendall Yards/The comming about of districts/New Convention Center/Davenport Tower/Gonzaga's New Arena and the national exposure that has brought/Revitalization of the Fox Theater and preserving other older historic buildings all around downtown/resurgance of the Eastern downtown area and a new tallest that is funded.... there are many more that I am missing.... Two steps forward one step back at times.. and I think you pay particular attention to the one step back without realizing progress..

"especially for a city of its size"

You answered this one yourself Mr. Metro..we are not talking about your San Fran or my beloved Tokyo.. but Spokane and it's 210,000 people... just something to keep in mind and perspective...

As someone like myself who has foundation ties to Spokane but has spent the last 15 years living in several cities internationally and in the United States I realize Spokane is not as "developed" or as large as many.. and it has had it's fair share of "not going to happens" however, I would not/don't let that cast a "negative" shadow on the city or "trash talk it" especially on a post full of people supporting it's development..

Last edited by oilcan; May 13, 2006 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 5:38 PM
Curiosity Killed the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan
Goo
that's all you have to say?!?!?

Oh, and I thought this might be interesting to some of you (had to add something).

I want to be selfish with this article and write specifically about the Little Spokane River Natural Area. This part of the park, for those of you who don’t know is located along the Little Spokane River and Rutter Pkwy. The Natural Area is made up of over 2,000 acres of pristine wetlands, lush forests, and amazing views from the ridges and uplands which overlook the corridor.

The LSRNA was established in 1989 in cooperation with Spokane County parks. The general theme for the area is “low impact” recreation. Although it is fine to paddle your canoe, kayak, or raft down the almost 8 miles of water trail, and hike, cross-country ski, and view wildlife in the area, we ask that you leave your tubes, air mattresses, and swimming gear at home. It is actually against the law to partake in these activities in the river. We also ask that you leave your pets (dogs, horses, giraffes, etc…) at home as well. Alcohol, camping, campfires, hunting, hiking off trails, or commercial activity are also all prohibited in the LSRNA. Thank you for your cooperation.

All right, enough with the rules. There are some really neat things on the horizon for the LSRNA. One of the most exciting opportunities for the park is the possibility of transforming the “Clark Barns” into an Environmental Learning Center. The state Audubon Society has placed the old barns near the top of their list for the future site of an Audubon Learning Center. The center would offer and enhance the opportunity for hundreds of schools groups, elder hostels, scout groups, and other visitors to get top quality environmental education programs, adding to the ones we already offer. Committees are being formed and steps are being taken to get this incredible idea moving.

Secondly, there are plans in the making to officially open and connect the trail system near the Indian Painted Rocks. Currently, a visitor can hike the interpretive trail along the Little Spokane River from the Indian Painted Rocks west to the trail head off of Hwy 291. There is also the Valley Trail which leaves from the Painted Rocks and goes north up the valley within the Edburg/Bass Conservation Futures Property (sec 33) then back to the Painted Rocks. The plan is to officially connect these trails from the Painted Rocks, go up the Valley Trail, make a loop over and along the ridge and down to the trail head near Hwy 291 then back to the Painted Rocks. We will install informative signs with mile markers to assist the visitor and enhance their experience. There will also be a map with educational information posted on the bulletin boards at all of the trail heads in the area. I’m hoping to have this project completed by June or July 2005.

Story time… I could write forever about the experiences I’ve had in the 6 years of working in the area, but one of neatest things that I’d say I get from this job and any of our visitors can experience is seeing the wildlife that call the LSRNA home. These include deer (mule and white tailed), great blue heron, cougar, bobcat, various waterfowl, and moose just to name a few. It was just the other day when I saw a beautiful bull and cow moose wandering through the fields near the Indian Painted Rocks. The bull was probably about 4 or 5 years old. He had just begun to grow back his antlers after shedding them for the winter. They (the antlers) looked like two fuzzy microphone covers, but longer and a little bit softer. By the time I see him again they will probably have begun to palmate and grow out into the traditional “Bullwinkle” look. The cow was a little smaller (probably going about 700-800lb). She was somewhat mottled with white/light gray patches on her dark liver coat. They were doing a little browsing and enjoying the afternoon when I saw them. I thought to myself, what a great place to be… not only for me, but for them as well. There I stood, only 10 minutes from the 2nd or 3rd largest city in the State of Washington and not one of us knew it at the time. Anyhow, after what only seemed like a few seconds, they both gave me look of non-interest and then slowly trotted off as to say “we’ll be back here (in the woods), see ya later man.” Once I thought about it, I might say they were the highlight of my day.

I know you have many stories like mine, and no matter how many times I’ve seen moose or had similar experiences, I still find it very fascinating. I try to tell my kids how lucky or fortunate we are to live in or around a place like the Little Spokane River Natural Area, just like my parents tried to tell me. I’m realizing the importance of these places more and more everyday. Let’s work together to protect them.

Finally, I’d like to say that if anyone witnesses a violation in the park, observe from a safe distance and record what you see [license number, description of person(s), type of violation, time, and location] then please contact the park office at 465-5064. Emergencies call 911.

I am always up for comments and/or criticism, so let me have it… macmikkelsen02@hotmail.com

Thanks for reading. Be safe and have fun. Parks are forever.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 6:11 PM

^^ Oilcan I agreee.....I would also like to see him move up the hill and not even worry about what the people of peaceful valley think. I think he as tried hard enough to work with them as well as the city. He should just get on with the project!!! You can't please everyone. By the way...what part of Tokyo did you live in when you were over there? I will be going there for the 3rd time this summer. I usually stay in Yokohama when I go, but I spend plenty of time in Tokyo as well.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 7:06 PM
Curiosity Killed the Cat

oilcan?

日本語をわかりますか。

スポカンが好きです。

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 7:14 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrw
^^ Oilcan I agreee.....I would also like to see him move up the hill and not even worry about what the people of peaceful valley think. I think he as tried hard enough to work with them as well as the city. He should just get on with the project!!! You can't please everyone. By the way...what part of Tokyo did you live in when you were over there? I will be going there for the 3rd time this summer. I usually stay in Yokohama when I go, but I spend plenty of time in Tokyo as well.
Yes he should move on with it.. sounds determined I am sure he will.. obviously the base fo the tower will be different but I hope he sticks with the original design.. He did try to work with the people of Peacefull Valley that shows the respect... not sure if it was just the shadow or the fact it was toweing over some of those homes directly infront of it?? I actually did 11 years in the military much of it was in Japan.. Fussa-Shi preficture.. basically straight shot on the Chuo expressway/JR Ome Line to the west of Tokyo.. Tachikawa/Yokota AB..

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 7:18 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMetropolitan
日本語をわかりますか。

スポカンが好きです。

If your useless irrelevant threads did not say enough about you..... your lack of maturity is sure a shining beacon with this post my friend....

God man you are actually making me feel sorry for you a bit.

Last edited by oilcan; May 13, 2006 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 7:35 PM
Hub for an Empire

The rendering of the Condo on Riverside you have above looks great! Nothing like the computer generated image I saw earlier.....since it had a feeling of early 1960's Public housing projects ....and looked ugly! (Especially from the north elevation!)

I liked the West Terrace Condo Tower from the first time I saw it. Hopefully, he can work both projects out to the satisfaction of most people!

I hope someone develops more Condo's in the $150,000 to $200,000 range, even if they are on the fringe area of downtown (North bank, near South hill or East/West of CBD). They have to be a bit bigger than the 600 sq.ft. offered to make them big enough for an ongoing home and affordable to the middle class!

Old Posted May 13, 2006, 8:38 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^One would think the market would allow cheaper housing with the amount predicted/going in at this time depends on vacancy needs/desires and how people will react.. What did we figure 5000 people at Kendall Yards?, Downtown with the Vox (fingers crossed) Davenport Tower/New Condos by the Flour Mill/JC Penny Condo's City Place Condos, and this troubled monster overlooking Peacefull Valley up on Riverside hopefully and I know there is others.... That's got to bring the total to around 6000+ new residences for the downtown/just surrounding area?

6000+ new people residing directly or just around downtown area within a few years... Think about it.. that's a pretty good jump especially for Spokane..

Last edited by oilcan; May 13, 2006 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hub for an Empire

I think earlier this week they stated on the News that currently about 3,000 people lived downtown. Not sure where they consider the boundary and it's easy to say most are on the lower income side at this point. I'm sure it will be a different story in 5 to 10 years!

I can see the lower Southhill property updating as the next step to near downtown housing!

Old Posted May 14, 2006, 12:48 AM

The Kendall yards project will be drawn out a little longer than expected. The first phase will be completed in about 18-20 months if the permits are granted and certian traffic revisions are made, which I don't really see being a problem. But the time frame on the second phase will largely depend upon demand. Still this is great. Also there are about 6-10 smaller condo projects going on around downtown, such as Carnegie Square, Jefferson Lofts, Railside ( they also want to expand this project and add more units), the Joel building, and a few others. With all this renovation of older structures, hopefully the next 4-5 years we will see the elimination of many of the ugly surface parking lots and new construction on some more modern and contemporary structures!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West