HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 11:55 PM

Hate to say it, but I think we should take what we can get right there. A five story building is better than another decade spent with a block-sized hole in the ground in what is supposed to be our city center. No one's about to sweep in and build a skyscraper there. We should consider how the neighborhood will look to future investors.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 11:55 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Has anyone seen the recent pic of the Kings "midrise" apartments on 8th and K? Isnt a project that size entirely inappropriate at that site? We already have taller buildings in Midtown and if 19th and J and 25th and J start construction this year we will have much more taller housing in midtown.

Also, isnt even the next door apartments at 7th and K taller? I could see if they just rehabbed an existing building, but they are starting from a hole in the ground and its still just the standard 5 story building that is already poping up all over midtown. We don't need another one downtown.
Agreed. It seems extremely underwhelming and would be a big missed opportunity if constructed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Has anyone seen the recent pic of the Kings "midrise" apartments on 8th and K? Isnt a project that size entirely inappropriate at that site? We already have taller buildings in Midtown and if 19th and J and 25th and J start construction this year we will have much more taller housing in midtown.

Also, isnt even the next door apartments at 7th and K taller? I could see if they just rehabbed an existing building, but they are starting from a hole in the ground and its still just the standard 5 story building that is already poping up all over midtown. We don't need another one downtown.
Totally agree on all accounts. When I heard mid-rise a few months ago I was already disappointed, thinking it would be 8 stories or something. This is even more disappointing than I expected.

This design is perfect in midtown as you mentioned, but they should have added more height here. Is it possible they could still revise, or do you think they're too far along?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:09 PM

The "towers" in midtown are not a foregone conclusion - especially if a certain comm(ie)unity activist has his way.

We've had debates about appropriate locations for structures before. I'm confused, because some of the people who are complaining right now have said that it's perfectly appropriate to build towers in midtown. Additionally, they have noted how unwieldy Sacramento's height restrictions and view corridor are. As we've discussed, developers can only build on properties they own or control. They can't magically relocate a proposal simply because YOU don't like the number of floors it has. So if a 15-story tower can be build on 25th street, why can't a 5-story midrise get built on 8th street?

I think it has been proven (to a satisfactory degree) that highrises are hard to deliver; and they are even harder to deliver in the Sacramento market. 5-ish story concrete podium and stick frame structures seem to be the rule, while highrises are the exception.

The site in question has been a blighted hole in the ground for a decade. Sacramento has many other holes in the ground and rundown buildings; and they're just waiting for the Tower Fairy to sprinkle her magic dust on them... Well, the bitch has only got so much dust!

History shows that Kings ownership is only willing to build big when the city gives them a quarter of a billion dollars. So unless some big subsidy satisfies their greed, this 5-story disappointment is what we get. At this point, I'll be happy to see that block get developed, highrise or not.

Last edited by snfenoc; Feb 2, 2017 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
The "towers" in midtown are not a foregone conclusion - especially if a certain comm(ie)unity activist has his way.
I agree until dirt is moving we don't know for sure what will happen, but I seriously doubt wburg and his cronies will be the undoing of these towers. I'm actually pretty optimistic both will get built.

Quote:
We've had debates about appropriate locations for structures before. I'm confused, because some of the people who are complaining right now have said that it's perfectly appropriate to build towers in midtown. Additionally, they have noted how unwieldy Sacramento's height restrictions and view corridor are. As we've discussed, developers can only build on properties they own or control. They can't magically relocate a proposal simply because YOU don't like the number of floors it has. So if a 15-story tower can be build on 25th street, why can't a 5-story midrise get built on 8th street?
I'm not asking anyone to relocate anything and I do thing the highrise buildings should get built in midtown. I just think 8th and K is too central/important of a location to get the standard 5 story building that is already sprouting up all over midtown. Every downtown hole in the ground should get a tower. At least 15 stories, with some 30+ story towers sprinkled in.

Quote:
I think it has been proven (to a satisfactory degree) that highrises are hard to deliver; and they are even harder to deliver in the Sacramento market. 5-ish story concrete podium and stick frame structures seem to be the rule, while highrises are the exception.
Without any legitimate reasoning in my opinion. All of the data supports Sacramento can easily fill up a few residential towers. Markets will smaller populations, lower housing prices, and lower income have them.

Quote:
The site in question has been a blighted hole in the ground for a decade. Sacramento has many other holes in the ground and rundown buildings; and they're just waiting for the Tower Fairy to sprinkle her magic dust on them... Well, the bitch has only got so much dust!

History shows that Kings ownership is only willing to build big when the city gives them a quarter of a billion dollars. So unless some big subsidy satisfies their greed, this 5-story disappointment is what we get. At this point, I'll be happy to see that block get developed, highrise or not.
History shows? You only have data points of 2 projects.

Either way, yes a 5 story building is better than a hole in the ground, however I still say this is a big missed opportunities. Thankfully there are more opportunities right next door to the arena such as L street where the greyhound station was.

And here is my big issue with development in the grid. After this next wave of midrise projects including 19th and J and 25th and J if built, 2 years from now lenders should have sufficient data of a large portfolio of urban midrise projects being successful in the grid with high rent/housing prices. What other data point would they need to start opening up lending for 20+ story towers?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 1:14 AM

Hmmmm. I didn't think that sports franchises like taking money from their host cities is a notion that requires multiple data points and scientific evidence. Need more evidence? Take a look at almost every other public-private "partnership" that exists.

In regard to the effectiveness of a certain busy body (who blocked me on Twitter...go figure?), I agree that economics is a much bigger influence. However, according to the Business Journal, the profit margin for Yamanee is thin. (At least, that's the developer's excuse for wanting to build upward.) I am not sure what the profit margin is like for Moe's 19 J project, but I doubt the economics are deeply in its favor. Face it, big projects are suicidal. They find any and every way they can to kill themselves. If the slightest problem crops up, investor money can evaporate. All the activist crew has to do is delay things just long enough for these taller projects to die on the vine.

I agree that 8th and K is a great, central location for a 30+ story tower. I mean, how great would it look on the skyline? However, the Kings want to build a cheap, stick frame structure. As we've discussed, it isn't easy to simply trade properties. Why is the proposal so short? Well first, 5-story, stick frame midrises are simply cheaper to build! They require cheaper materials, less labor, smaller cranes, and they receive less opposition from comm(ie)unity activists. There are many other factors too: The Kings biggest interest is turning K Street into a money-generating, urban hipster mall, anchored by the arena, and supported by hotels, retail and restaurants. I doubt that reasonably-priced housing, in mass quantities, is a big concern for them. However, the city wants housing. Also, it's just time for something....ANYTHING....to get built on that site. It has been a blighted, neglected hole in the ground for a decade, which is far too long. Taking all this into account, it looks like the Kings are willing to provide SOME housing, but they'll be doing so in the easiest, cheapest way that still fits into their business model.

Highrises are difficult to build, especially in Sacramento....this conclusion is made without legitimate reasoning? Do you know something I don't? Sure, there is plenty of demand for housing, but demand isn't the only variable in the highrise equation. The hurdles that residential towers face were not just pulled out of my ass. I identified them by reading multiple expert reports . Look around...the nation is in the midst of a construction boom and housing demand is through the roof (mind the pun). Heck, even demand for office is looking better than it has in years. YET only a single, subsidized (mostly hotel and retail) tower is under construction right now in Sacramento. What does that tell you?

Highrises are expensive to build: materials are really expensive, and labor is really, REALLY expensive. Large construction projects require financing, and banks aren't just giving out money. Equity partners are required, but they are risk averse. I think my reasoning and that of the experts is pretty sound.

Towers in Sacramento are NOT impossible. Frankly, I think if Sacramento can string together a few good projects, especially if either Yamanee or 19J can get built, that may be enough to tip the scales. I just hope the market doesn't fall apart beforehand.

Last edited by snfenoc; Feb 9, 2017 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 10:58 PM

Imagine looking for a place to build your $300 million luxury condo tower and arriving in downtown Sacramento right now -

"So how long has that enormous hole in the ground been there?"
"The one with the hobos fighting in it?"
"Yes."
"Eleven years."
"Seriously?! This is THE location to invest all of our money."

It would be better for our city to pave it over and build a skatepark there than to leave it how it is another five, ten years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 5:22 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Hmmmm. I didn't think that sports franchises like taking money from their host cities is a notion that requires multiple data points and scientific evidence. Need more evidence? Take a look at almost every other public-private "partnership" that exists.

In regard to the effectiveness of a certain busy body (who blocked me on Twitter...go figure?), I agree that economics is a much bigger influence. However, according to the Business Journal, the profit margin for Yamanee is thin. (At least, that's the developer's excuse for wanting to build upward.) I am not sure what the profit margin is like for Moe's 19 J project, but I doubt the economics are deeply in its favor. Face it, big projects are suicidal. They find any and every way they can to kill themselves. If the slightest problem crops up, investor money can evaporate. All the activist crew has to do is delay things just long enough for these taller projects to die on the vine.

I agree that 8th and K is a great, central location for a 30+ story tower. I mean, how great would it look on the skyline? However, the Kings want to build a cheap, stick frame structure. As we've discussed, it isn't easy to simply trade properties. Why is the proposal so short? Well first, 5-story, stick frame midrises are simply cheaper to build! They require cheaper materials, less labor, smaller cranes, and they receive less opposition from comm(ie)unity activists. There are many other factors too: The Kings biggest interest is turning K Street into a money-generating, urban hipster mall, anchored by the arena, and supported by hotels, retail and restaurants. I doubt that reasonably-priced housing, in mass quantities, is a big concern for them. However, the city wants housing. Also, it's just time for something....ANYTHING....to get built on that site. It has been a blighted, neglected hole in the ground for a decade, which is far too long. Taking all this into account, it looks like the Kings are willing to provide SOME housing, but they'll be doing so in the easiest, cheapest way that still fits into their business model.

Highrises are difficult to build, especially in Sacramento....this conclusion is made without legitimate reasoning? Do you know something I don't? Sure, there is plenty of demand for housing, but demand isn't the only variable in the highrise equation. The hurdles that residential towers face were not just pulled out of my ass. I identified them by reading multiple expert reports . Look around...the nation is in the midst of a construction boom and housing demand is through the roof (mind the pun). Heck, even demand for office is looking better than it has in years. YET only a single, subsidized (mostly hotel and retail) tower is under construction right now in Sacramento. What does that tell you?

Highrises are expensive to build: materials are really expensive, and labor is really, REALLY expensive. Large construction projects require financing, and banks aren't just giving out money. Equity partners are required, but they are risk averse. I think my reasoning and that of the experts is pretty sound.

Towers in Sacramento are NOT impossible. Frankly, I think if Sacramento can string together a few good projects, especially if either Yamanee or 19J can get built, that may be enough to tip the scales. I just hope the market doesn't fall apart beforehand.
Your right snfenoc, and you have outlined Sacramento’s short coming plainly.

Developers have also come to expect subsidies when doing business in the
grid, few big project happen here unless the city or state offer finical aid.
It’s disappointing not seeing any new high-rises, but in reality, the
Sacramento market is not expensive enough for developers to take the risk.
That goes for office high-rises too. The rental rate per square foot needs to
rise another 13% or 40 cents so that a high-rise office building pencils out.
The Sacramento Business Journal has mentioned several time in the last few
years. If the market is so hot, why has taken nearly seven years for the
L Street Lofts to finally sell its 70th unit of the 92 available? Midtown is much
more desirable to big spenders than anywhere downtown.

Remember Vanir Tower? 27 months ago, they made headlines about their
proposed tower, a year later they even teased that it could get taller
because of all the interest. To this day, the developer still has not filed
any paperwork or paid any entitlements/permits to begin the development
process with the city. Any bets on when they might put some money on the table?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 9:33 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Unfortunately I suspect that Sacramento's skyline will forever be an under performer. There just isn't enough financial capital, development experience or interest in building high rise residential projects in Sacramento. There isn't any demand for high rise office development either. During the most recent financial upswing cities across the country have watched their downtowns transformed with new high rise residential towers with few exceptions; Sacramento being one of those exceptions.

The only possibility on the horizon is the state of California. If the state can put together a proposal, Sacramento may see a new high rise in the next five years. However, given their miserable track record when it comes to design, Sacramento shouldn't hold its breath for a quality project. In fact I think it's more likely the state will opt for lowrise development given the problems they've had with the BOE building and the need for large floor plates.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 11:49 PM

PEI Cobb Architects released newer renderings of Vanir Tower. Nothing to get too excited about since it doesn't state when the project will start construction. It also looks like it has been shorten to 25-stories from 26. But the newer pictures do offer a cleaner look to the tower, which is pretty much the same design.

https://pcf-p.com/projects/vanir-tower/

Last edited by Pistola916; Mar 1, 2017 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:37 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
PEI Cobb Architects released newer renderings of Vanir Tower. Nothing to get too excited about since it doesn't state when the project will start construction. It also looks like it has been shorten to 25-stories from 26. But the newer pictures do offer a cleaner look to the tower, which is pretty much the same design.
News is better than silence. I was worried when the sign blew over in one of the first big storms of the season and nobody bothered to replace it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 1:32 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post

https://pcf-p.com/projects/vanir-tower/
Too bad it was reduced, thought there was a chance to make it bigger since vacancies are low in Downtown. Still a nice tower though and would like to see it built

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 4:56 PM

This being Sac I'm sure we'll all believe it only when steel starts rising.

Looks like CADA got 4 proposals for their site at 14 & N, hope they can move forward with a nice design. Such a killer location.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 6:17 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

I think Vanir is still a long shot to get built whether it's 26 stories, 25 or 18. There just isn't a market for high rise office space in Sacramento. It's not a bad looking design but it's nothing spectacular. It looks like it could be dropped in a suburban Houston office park and fit right in.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:45 PM
Kodachrome

You guys crack me up. This is not news. Seeing a rendering on an architectural website
does not mean its one-step closer to anything. At least John Saca had the balls to
spend big money on entitlements/permits with the city to move both The Metropolitan
and The Towers forward before they both fizzled out unlike the people behind
The Vanir Tower proposal. Those renderings of the tower will be on that architectural
website for years after the proposal fades away from our memory just like Aura, Epic,
Capitol Grand Tower, 700i, etc., etc., etc…

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:39 AM
Here we stAy

Well damn, if the mood in here hasn't gone from mild optimism to depressing.

Yes, the Vanir Tower project is taking a long time. The DOCO tower is also taking longer to construct than other similar-sized projects. We've also gone 'round on why all these are they way they are in Sacramento. I'm also fairly certain we'll see a lot of positive progress in both new projects and construction this years.

There's still a lot of people who want to live and work in the central city, and a lot of room in the market to accommodate. Stay positive people!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:08 PM

Eh innov8 is just a grumpy old bastard anyways. The pressure from the demand for central city living will eventually get good things built here. We just have to be patient. Sigh.

I do wish the Metropolitan got off the ground, glad Saca still has the land and hopeful he pulls it off sometime. Any news from the hole in the ground? There was some noise from PERS and bleh renderings a while back but seems to have been just a tease like Vanir.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
Eh innov8 is just a grumpy old bastard anyways. The pressure from the demand for central city living will eventually get good things built here. We just have to be patient. Sigh.

I do wish the Metropolitan got off the ground, glad Saca still has the land and hopeful he pulls it off sometime. Any news from the hole in the ground? There was some noise from PERS and bleh renderings a while back but seems to have been just a tease like Vanir.
No need to call names. I think many of us "old timers" just got sick and tired of talking about pretty drawings and endless planning meetings without receiving much satisfaction. Having said that, I am disappointed with the lack of discussion, pictures, rumors, and argument on this forum. You'd think Sacramento fell off the map...it didn't - there's lots going on.

Of course, Sacramento cannot carve itself out of California's ridiculousness. Buildings are expensive to get off the ground, and while there are plenty of people who want to live in an urban utopia, they just don't have enough coin. Give it time. Things move slow in Sacramento. I was back in town a few months ago and had a great time. Great city that will get even greater.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 7:34 PM

Even as someone who is living in the core and doesn't have the benefit of lengthy time away for perspective the acceleration these past few years has been noticeable.

I go back and forth on us being ignored. I do like the ability to grow as a city relatively anonymously. I don't want the hype train to catch us like Portland but at the same time some recognition would be nice to provide some sort of tailwind for developers.

I will be interested in how well Nikki Mohanna's project at 19th and J works out. The addition of some (relatively) cheap small sqft urban units might spur more developers to build some non large floorplan luxury rentals. I think a lot of folks are ok with a 400sqft studio if the tradeoff is new construction, walkable location, and non-insane rents.

Our little dying subform...yes it's sad but I'll keep trying to do my part and resist my lurker tendencies. I see more urban/planning discussion on r/sacramento at this point. But hey, at least people somewhere are talking about these things.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Well damn, if the mood in here hasn't gone from mild optimism to depressing.

Yes, the Vanir Tower project is taking a long time. The DOCO tower is also taking longer to construct than other similar-sized projects. We've also gone 'round on why all these are they way they are in Sacramento. I'm also fairly certain we'll see a lot of positive progress in both new projects and construction this years.

There's still a lot of people who want to live and work in the central city, and a lot of room in the market to accommodate. Stay positive people!
I'm actually wondering why DOCO has taken so long. It has an ownership group that has been significantly subsidized. Was it lazy, greedy contractors and construction workers, lack of additional investment? What gives?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area