HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 1:45 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Man, considering how massive Philadelphia is, its subway system BLOWS! The Broad and Market lines are token at best. Southwest Philly, Northeast Philly, Germantown, and a dozen other neighborhoods not already connected via the Broad, MFL, or PATCO lines would have been well-connected if these lines were all built and running.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:32 AM

DVRPC is doing a feasibility study on the cost of transit (most likely BRT) in the old City Branch.

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/phil...e-use-park-brt

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:57 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
SEPTA extends weekend Overnight Subway service indefinitely

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-indefinitely/
Glad to see it continues to be successful. Philly showing some leadership! I wish DC/LA/SF etc would start a trial run of 24/7 service.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 7:41 PM

This is too good to be true lol.

Korean Company Will Pitch Platform Screen Doors to SEPTA

Basically, TIS, Inc., based in Korea is proposing this idea to SEPTA to install basically glass sliding doors with advertisements on them to improve safety on the platforms. TIS will PAY for the installations, and should all go well, they will keep ownership of the doors/advertisements until they make back their investments from the advertisements (and I assume a nice little profit as well) after which they will turn over the advertisements to SEPTA who can then profit from the advertisements. On top of that, if all goes well, TIS, Inc. would like to headquarter their United States business operations in Philadelphia.

I like it. Sounds like a win win all the way around.

Here is the article on it:
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...s-to-septa.php

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 8:59 PM

That's encouraging news, and I hope that they work out a deal to get some platform doors on SEPTA. The safety benefits are pretty obvious, and in many cases allow for faster trips, since it becomes safer for trains to enter crowded stations at higher speeds.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
This is too good to be true lol.

Korean Company Will Pitch Platform Screen Doors to SEPTA

Basically, TIS, Inc., based in Korea is proposing this idea to SEPTA to install basically glass sliding doors with advertisements on them to improve safety on the platforms. TIS will PAY for the installations, and should all go well, they will keep ownership of the doors/advertisements until they make back their investments from the advertisements (and I assume a nice little profit as well) after which they will turn over the advertisements to SEPTA who can then profit from the advertisements. On top of that, if all goes well, TIS, Inc. would like to headquarter their United States business operations in Philadelphia.

I like it. Sounds like a win win all the way around.

Here is the article on it:
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...s-to-septa.php
Any way they can tack PATCO onto that? At least at 8th & Market. I've seen some crappy things on the tracks there (and pretty much only there).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Any way they can tack PATCO onto that? At least at 8th & Market. I've seen some crappy things on the tracks there (and pretty much only there).
Truth. Well if it proves successful on SEPTA lines, I would see no reason why it would not then be expanded to PATCO.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:01 PM

I saw my first Nova bendy bus and 40' when I was out today, wish I had the presence of mind to snap a picture. Does anyone know how long they have been in revenue service?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I saw my first Nova bendy bus and 40' when I was out today, wish I had the presence of mind to snap a picture. Does anyone know how long they have been in revenue service?
I SAW THAT TOO. Heh. Transit nerrrrddddssss.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 8:35 PM

It seems like all the 60' busses are concentrated on the 48, too bad considering I used to be a regular rider of the 33 and 55. Man those Neapolitans look like hammered s**t.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 2:56 PM

Rail planners outline various remedies for Northeast Corridor

From philly.com:

Quote:
Some of the alternatives envision new stations in Center City and at Philadelphia International Airport, with continuing use of 30th Street Station for regional traffic.

Although the FRA has not made any cost estimates yet, Amtrak has said it would require more than $10 billion to simply restore the rail corridor to a state of good repair. And Amtrak has said $151 billion would be needed to develop a separate high-speed corridor between Washington and Boston to accommodate trains traveling at 220 m.p.h. and cut the travel time between Philadelphia and New York to 37 minutes.

Last edited by Phil_North; Nov 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM. Reason: corrected title

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_North View Post
Something someone really has to do is fix/replace the 100-year old infrastructure in North Jersey that serves as choke points for the whole mega-region. This includes the Portal Bridge, which, when is doesn't open and close properly, delays Amtrak and NJ Transit trains. It's insane and sad that no one has dedicated money to fix that all these years.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 11:25 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Man, considering how massive Philadelphia is, its subway system BLOWS! The Broad and Market lines are token at best. Southwest Philly, Northeast Philly, Germantown, and a dozen other neighborhoods not already connected via the Broad, MFL, or PATCO lines would have been well-connected if these lines were all built and running.
There's a long sad history behind the small system Philadelphia ended up with. Surely you've seen maps of old proposals like this, from a Hidden City article:

The Broad Street Subway was built as a trunk for multiple branches to exactly the areas of the city that you mentioned and some of the infrastructure for those unbuilt routes exists now.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
There's a long sad history behind the small system Philadelphia ended up with. Surely you've seen maps of old proposals like this, from a Hidden City article:
The Broad Street Subway was built as a trunk for multiple branches to exactly the areas of the city that you mentioned and some of the infrastructure for those unbuilt routes exists now.
Every time I see this map or any of the other plans/proposals from nearly a century ago, it makes me want to cry a little bit. Oh, what could have been!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 3:49 PM

Sayyy whatttt???

SEPTA and PATCO fare integration

http://www.metro.us/philadelphia/pat...aFKnv9xmtqZVI/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Every time I see this map or any of the other plans/proposals from nearly a century ago, it makes me want to cry a little bit. Oh, what could have been!
Agree. For a city that invented America, we seem to have stopped being bold shortly thereafter. >:| Gr.

Quote:
Sayyy whatttt???

yyyyeeeessssssss

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Sayyy whatttt???

It's about time! Hopefully Patco reciprocates this and accepts the Septa card on their end.

Last edited by Phil_North; Nov 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM. Reason: removed broken link

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 4:25 PM

60 Minutes did a thing about crumbling infrastructure in the US, and Pennsylvania was well-represented. They start talking about Pittsburgh first, the move on to Philadelphia at around 4:00.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-...nfrastructure/

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
60 Minutes did a thing about crumbling infrastructure in the US, and Pennsylvania was well-represented. They start talking about Pittsburgh first, the move on to Philadelphia at around 4:00.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falling-...nfrastructure/
Great post! I had heard about the 60 minutes report. I'm glad I can read it online. And they speak about that 104 year old bridge used by NE Corridor trains. Unbelievable!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Great post! I had heard about the 60 minutes report. I'm glad I can read it online. And they speak about that 104 year old bridge used by NE Corridor trains. Unbelievable!
Great story.

Philly was well represented sadly ... the sausage sandwich story. We need $7 billion for the I-95 stretch in Philly alone... wow.
I had a feeling Ed Rendell would be in this story (at least he didn't call Steve Kroft a "simpleton" like he did Leslie Stahl ).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation