HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 1:07 AM

Tuscaloosa is on a pretty good roll, considering the national economy.
The amphitheater and downtown revitalization are going up, Mercedes will add the C class, Bryce is staying in town, a football national championship is a real possibility, and the university continues to expand.

I heard that there will be planning meetings about the "Shelby 4" building
in January, and that tentatively, the plan will be to eliminate part or all of HM Comer Hall to make room.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 3:21 AM
Cat Enthusiast

The new construction at Partlow, then the jobs that are being shifted over there should really help out the Alberta area. It's about time some quality work was placed in that part of town.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 7:40 PM

Bryce deal reached

Quote:
To keep Bryce in Tuscaloosa, the state had to get involved in raising the difference between UA's offer, which included preserving the historic main building on the Bryce campus, and the cost of a new facility.

“If we were ever going to do something now was the time to do it,” Riley said at the board meeting Wednesday.

The gap will be filled by lowering the price about $2 million and floating a $22 million state bond paid back with royalties from oil and gas reserves.

Last week, the Amendment 666 Bond Commission gave the state Finance Department the authority to start the bond process with a financial adviser and bond counsel.

The Amendment 666 Bond Commission is named after the state constitutional amendment that authorizes bonds for economic development.

“Economic development comes in all different shapes and sizes, and we absolutely believe that our universities drive economic development,” Riley said about using the bond commission's authority.

The bond issue could occur in February, said state Sen. Roger Bedford, D-Russellville, a member of the bond commission and part of what Riley called a coalition of leaders, led by state Sen. Phil Poole, D-Tuscaloosa, who helped broker a deal.

“It's more complicated than we could explain today,” Poole said at the news conference. “This is no snap decision. We, after long study, think this is the best deal.”

Riley said building a new, state-of-the-art hospital for mental health patients was the driving force behind the deal.

“When we started looking at this one year ago, we had one priority: Can you build a world-class, state-of-the-art facility and at the same time allow this to be preserved because it is a part of our history? There has never been a discussion that has ever looked at anything else other than that,” Riley said.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
Tuscaloosa is on a pretty good roll, considering the national economy.
The amphitheater and downtown revitalization are going up, Mercedes will add the C class, Bryce is staying in town, a football national championship is a real possibility, and the university continues to expand.

in January, and that tentatively, the plan will be to eliminate part or all of HM Comer Hall to make room.
Has the school released any renderings of the 3rd phase of the Shelby buildings?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
Haven't heard anything about Shelby IV, but I can't see them eliminating HM Comer, at least not this soon. There are several research and teaching facilities there, such as the metallurgical engineering department's foundry and the chemical engineering department's chemical processes high bay.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 11:24 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Haven't heard anything about Shelby IV, but I can't see them eliminating HM Comer, at least not this soon. There are several research and teaching facilities there, such as the metallurgical engineering department's foundry and the chemical engineering department's chemical processes high bay.
Well, that's why they're not building the entire complex at once. If they did, there would be quite a few departments without a lot of space. I imagine that they'll move what's in HM into one of the new buildings then tear down HM.

I'm quite sure it's part of the master plan, to do that. But of course, I've been wrong before.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 3:54 AM

$35 million regional school to be proposed

Quote:
TUSCALOOSA | The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama plans to present its vision of a new regional high school to the Tuscaloosa County Board of Education on Monday.

The West Alabama Regional Collegiate High School that the chamber hopes to create would be a career preparatory high school for West Alabama residents. The school would focus on technical, leadership and work force skills in additional to offering the academics necessary for students to receive a high school diploma.

Johnnie Aycock, president of the Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama, said the chamber put together a regional high school task force to determine how to create the school.

Looks like a great, forward-thinking idea on the part of the Chamber of Commerice!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:27 PM

McFarland Mall struggles to keep stores

Quote:
In recent years, McFarland Mall has struggled, losing first its movie theater, then some of its key anchor stores and most recently many of the smaller retailers that depend on the big stores to attract shoppers.

Today, empty storefronts outnumber ongoing businesses. Only one fast-food shop remains in the food court. And at least two of the remaining merchants have signs proclaiming they are going out of business.

Outside, potholes dot the mall’s parking lot, and spray-painted graffiti marks the walls in the merchandise delivery area at the rear of the mall.

At lunchtime one day last week, McFarland Mall was virtually deserted inside, save the long line of people at the Tuscaloosa County courthouse satellite office.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 4:17 AM

Link to Renderings of Third Phase of Science and Engineering Complex at UA

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 7:05 AM

UA, Bryce sale agreement to be completed this week

Nothing substantial in the story, honestly. No timetable has been set for when the property will actually change hands, or when the new hospital will be constructed.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 6:46 PM

EDITORIAL: It's time for repairs to Lake Lurleen park

Quote:
When it comes to parks, highways and state funding for other projects, Tuscaloosa and the rest of West Alabama never seem to make it very high on the list of priorities. Why is that? That's a good question in this election year.
Maybe a Tuscaloosa native in the governor's office will rectify that.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:57 PM

Tuscaloosa governor could bring opportunities, prestige

Quote:
If Bentley becomes governor, he would join Republican U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby as a Tuscaloosan in a prominent elected office, which he said would be “wonderful” in his victory speech to supporters at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Tuesday night.

“We know it's been good to have a United States senator, but we don't have a lot of experience with governors,” said William Stewart, retired chairman of the University of Alabama political science department. “Now all we need to get is a resident congressman.”

Shelby has brought millions upon millions of federal dollars to Tuscaloosa and the university over the years, but the governor's office isn't set up for a politician to bring home the bacon, so to speak. Besides, there likely will not be a lot of money to throw around in the next few years, given strained state budgets, Stewart said.

The main benefit Bentley could offer Tuscaloosa is an entree for local people, he said.

“Obviously, you couldn't quantify what benefit it would be to Tuscaloosa, but it's only natural to help your own people to the extent you can,” Stewart said.

Maddox said Bentley would put the state ahead of local interests but would give the city a fair shake.

“The biggest plus for the region is that we know him, and when you know someone, you establish a working relationship that gives you a better opportunity to be successful,” Maddox said. “I don't think anybody has any illusions that if Dr. Bentley is governor that all of a sudden every road is four lanes and every issue we bring before the state government is going to be sold.

“I think it's the personal relationship that all of us have made with Dr. Bentley over the years.”

One area in which Bentley could prove to be a friend to Tuscaloosa is the rebuilding of Bryce Hospital across McFarland Boulevard from its present campus, which was sold to UA. The money from the sale is supposed to pay for the new psychiatric hospital, but it's possible construction could become a political issue if the project proves to be more expensive than thought, Stewart said.

“A governor from Tuscaloosa could do something for that facility without being accused of helping out his home area, because it's important for the state as a whole to have a good facility for those who require hospitalization for mental illness,” he said.

Maddox said it would be a plus to have a Tuscaloosan as governor as the new facility is built and mental health services are modified.

Even if a Bentley administration offers only intangible benefits, a Tuscaloosa governor would still mean a great deal to the county, said Probate Judge Hardy McCollum.

“Let me put it this way: Ain't no way it could hurt us,” he said.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 10:04 PM

What do you guys think of the McMansion condo flooding fiasco on Hargrove Road?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 12:43 AM
---

I know a few people that lost most if their stuff that was in storage units. Must have been a huge flood.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 9:32 PM

I wonder if we'll ever be able to get commercial service back at the airport. On my most recent trip to BHM, it dwelled on me that, other than Southwest, it had become a commuter jet only airport. Who wants to drive a hour to get on commuter jet? Isn't that what we already had in Tuscaloosa years ago? Sure, BHM has Southwest, which offers nonstop flights in 737s to a few choice nonstop destinations (Orlando, Miami, Las Vegas, Pheonix, etc) but it's still only "a few".

I wonder if there's any data available breaking down the enplanements at BHM by airline and origin of passenger. It would really help in see if there's anything to this thought than hot air.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:37 AM

An idea worth exploring. UA and the local governments have shown us that when they put their heads together, they can do just about anything. But I figured most presidential debates go to swing states...

Some city leaders hope Tuscaloosa could host presidential debate

Quote:
there is already some talk in Tuscaloosa about possibly hosting a presidential debate for the 2016 election.

The discussions are described as very preliminary, and it’s too early to say whether the city will even make a bid to get a debate, according to those involved.

Cost is a major consideration...the cost of staging the 2008 debate in Oxford was about $5 million and included preparing facilities, providing security, transportation and other accommodations
Some requirements for bidding for a presidential debate (these for the 2012 bids):

* $7,500 non-refundable application fee
* A hall of at least 17,000 square feet
* Parking near the hall to accommodate 30 large television remote trucks
* Media parking for 500 vehicles,
* A separate facility for a media center
* 3,000 hotel rooms with a 30 minute drive of the debate site

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:45 AM

I guess the other parts of the state won't have to worry about the Bentley administration unfairly favoring Tuscaloosa. There are over 400 jobs at stake here...

Bentley still supports closing Partlow

Quote:
Gov. Robert Bentley reiterated his support for closing the W.D. Partlow Developmental Center in Tuscaloosa, despite reversing his decision to close it on Sept. 30, his office said Thursday.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Well, that's why they're not building the entire complex at once. If they did, there would be quite a few departments without a lot of space. I imagine that they'll move what's in HM into one of the new buildings then tear down HM.

I'm quite sure it's part of the master plan, to do that. But of course, I've been wrong before.
They have several PODS behind HM Comer right now and they were supposed to be starting tearing off the back of it this semester. It looks like it will be at least summer though before they start actual work there.
But the master plan called for the front of HM Comer to be left in tact and the back wings will be torn off and replaced with the 4th phase of shelby.

Here is a link to what the 3rd phase will look like when it is completed.
http://www.dadot.com/project/under_c...complex_0.aspx

I used to know where a link was to the overall plan for the completed Shelby Complex but I can't remember where that was. I do know that they plan to be completely finished with it by 2014.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 3:46 AM

Yeah, I think Phase IV is the last phase. That should move all the people in the old crumbling buildings into Shelby. After that, I guess energy will be directed towards renovating some buildings that need some dire attention - like Houser and Hardaway.

I believe this is the plan you were looking for, bamastu.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 1:08 AM

Yeah, I think the Biology building could really use a good updating. It's always exciting when the trustees meet and release their new plans!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast