HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 7:24 PM

Hilton Garden Inn

I believe all the trees are going.

Here is a video from 2014 somebody posted to al.com's comments that shows the same "bones" with a different "skin," not to mention a fancy rooftop lounge named for Eugene Walter. Apparently they ran out of $$$. Oh well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmdf16TKnEs

Also, hard to believe they're not putting balconies on rooms fronting the parade route. Maybe whoever pulled the stock plan from the big binder back at the home office didn't know the site was on a parade route.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:15 PM

I know.....NO balconies. Just adding the balconies might have made it look okay. I hope all the screaming about the trees will make them reconsider.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:36 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb401 View Post
Does anyone know what happened with the proposed hotel in fort condition village? Did the city deny it?
It has been approved. Great news!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 6:18 PM

Awesome.... Now that hotel is one that we can take pride in!!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
It has been approved. Great news!
Let's hope it has a better design than the Hilton Garden Inn across from Beinville Square. Since it had to pass the review board, I'm sure it will be something that complements the historic Ft. Conde area.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verve View Post
Let's hope it has a better design than the Hilton Garden Inn across from Beinville Square. Since it had to pass the review board, I'm sure it will be something that complements the historic Ft. Conde area.
The design is on the Urban Planning website. It looks great in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 11:54 PM

Here's a link if anybody wants it: http://urban.cityofmobile.org/urban_...hzon151154.pdf

I'll say it looks WAY better than the Bienville plan. I hope the rumors about Cowart altering it end up to be true.

Edit: SouthSky, didn't realize you'd posted a link a couple of pages back. Sorry.

Last edited by Del; Jul 31, 2015 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 1:42 PM

Sears (and auto store) closing at Bel Air. That's a shame. But when I go through there, there are always way more employees than there are customers. So maybe not much of a surprise.

Quote:
Here's the company statement:

"The store will begin its liquidation sale on July 17. Store closures are part of a series of actions we're taking to reduce on-going expenses, adjust our asset base, and accelerate the transformation of our business model. These actions will better enable us to focus our investments on serving our customers and members through integrated retail – at the store, online and in the home. Our investments in Shop Your Way and Integrated Retail enable us to migrate the shopping activity of highly engaged members who previously shopped these closed stores to alternative channels. As a result, we hope to retain a portion of the sales previously associated with these stores by nurturing and maintaining our relationships with the members that shopped these locations."
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index...._slated_f.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 3:14 PM

I don't know if it is a shame. The new owners are trying to redevelop the mall and update its image.Maybe with come of the dead weight gone the mall will be able to attract quality tenants that will attract a better clientele. Let's face it, when was the last time you bought something at Sears. The store wasn't attracting people to the mall. They have been waiting until their lease was over to announce the closing....... they have been rumored to close since 2013..... a lot of the employees knew about it.

I do feel for the employees, but hey, there are a ton of retail jobs up for grabs at the new stores that are about to open in Mcgowan Park.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
I do feel for the employees, but hey, there are a ton of retail jobs up for grabs at the new stores that are about to open in Mcgowan Park.
...not to mention the new future occupants of these Bel Air spaces.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 10:06 AM

I meant it's a shame more that it's just been a fixture there since the beginning. I do shop there from time to time, but I don't do much shopping in general (anywhere). It'll just be weird, to me at least, to not see Sears there.

Last edited by mobilebadboy; Jul 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 5:41 PM

Yeah, it will be weird. It seems like there has been a lot of change in Mobile over the last two years.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2015, 10:55 PM

I'm glad Belk is renovating the Sears space after it closes. Hopefully, the new store will be as nice as the Belk location at Cordova Mall.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 12:12 AM

The Belk flagship will be even larger at 237,000 square feet, and PF Chang's has signed on to 'The Shoppes at Bel Air'.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 10:50 PM

THOMPSON ENGINEERING SELECTED AS MOBILE RIVER BRIDGE PROJECT DESIGN TEAM

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. – After several months of review and evaluation, Thompson Engineering has been selected as the design team to develop plans for the I-10 Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project.
http://www.mobileriverbridge.com/news_07-23-15.html

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 2:08 AM

Some recent downtown Mobile updates:

Lodging
- Ground has been broken on the new Hilton Garden Inn on Conception St (completion date TBA)
- Planning approval has been given to the Carolina developers who are planning to build a 6/7 story hotel in Fort Conde Village
- Admiral Semmes is going to be branded a "Hilton Curio" brand later this year after their huge renovation wraps late this year

Dining
- Von's, a new Vietnamese/Cajun fusion restaurant on St. Michael St. is to open in August
- Montego's, a new location of a west Mobile favorite on the corner of Dauphin and Joachim, is said to be opening in two or three months
- Pizzeria Delfina, a new Italian restaurant, will be opening in August
- Corner 251 will be opening at the corner of Government and Joachim in the bottom of the newly-remodeled/renovated Admiral Semmes Hotel
- an unnamed Chakli Diggs restaurant, a new project from the Chef that owns Noja, this new restaurant will go into a renovated space in the 450 block of Dauphin St.
- Dauphin's, one of two new restaurants being opened by Baumhower, this one is to be on the 34th floor of the Trustmark Bank building; completion TBD
- Floridita's, another Baumhower restaurant in the Trustmark building; this one will be in the basement of the tower; completion TBD
- Krispy Kreme, in the soon to be completed Van Antwerp parking garage at the corner of Dauphin and Royal
- unnamed Italian restaurant, in a corner space at the intersection of Conti and Conception; completion TBD

Nightlife
- the Haberdasher has released renderings of their renovations of their new space on Dauphin St east of Bienville Square; "re-opening" late this year
- Port City Mini Golf, a bar/minigolf/arcade style business is opening on Conception between Conti and Dauphin

Mixed-use
- Conde Village mixed use buildings in Fort Conde Village to include retail and residences yet to start but slated to get going "soon"
- rumblings of a large mixed use development north of the International Trade Center on Water St.; said to be quite large

Residential
- 358/360 Dauphin condos being finished out at 360 Dauphin St.
- 412 Dauphin St. getting a facelift

Government
- Federal Courthouse to begin later this year taking up the entire block bounded by St Louis, St Joseph, St Anthony and Conception Sts; archaeological work has started

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:54 PM

What??? I want to hear more about the mini-golf, the mixed use development in the northern part of downtown, and the Fort conde village- They have been talking about that for years.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM

Buick Building on St. Louis Street

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 5:23 PM

Mini-Golf, while drinking

Quote:
What??? I want to hear more about the mini-golf, the mixed use development in the northern part of downtown, and the Fort conde village- They have been talking about that for years.
I was just invited to Like them on Facebook this morning. Not much info on their page yet but I assume it will be the first place to get new info.

https://www.facebook.com/portcityminigolf?fref=ts

I also want to know more about the mixed-use to the north. Is this where there are also rumblings of a new tank farm? We certainly have a wide rumor spectrum if so.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
I was just invited to Like them on Facebook this morning. Not much info on their page yet but I assume it will be the first place to get new info.

https://www.facebook.com/portcityminigolf?fref=ts

I also want to know more about the mixed-use to the north. Is this where there are also rumblings of a new tank farm? We certainly have a wide rumor spectrum if so.
The only line I've heard on it was what I wrote above. I know very little about it other than it is supposed to be "just north" of the International Trade Center on Water St.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast