HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:21 PM

Roll call. Who's still out there?

People on her seem to be fading away, is it because of the endless drivel? or do you need a little controversy to make you aroused.

The mods on here should be shaking up the troops and weeding out the dead and the living. Of course, with some people its hard to tell.

This is your first bell ringer, come out of your shell and lets hear if you are still alive. Don't tell us you been sooo busy, you were meaning to but forgot, I forgot how my computer worked, I chose to lurk because everyone already knows my thoughts, ....cut the crap, lets hear from you. You know you need your shot of Skyscraper to get you motivated in the morning.

Start with this, " The best thing I'm going to do today is......... "

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:08 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
People on her seem to be fading away, is it because of the endless drivel? or do you need a little controversy to make you aroused.

The mods on here should be shaking up the troops and weeding out the dead and the living. Of course, with some people its hard to tell.

This is your first bell ringer, come out of your shell and lets hear if you are still alive. Don't tell us you been sooo busy, you were meaning to but forgot, I forgot how my computer worked, I chose to lurk because everyone already knows my thoughts, ....cut the crap, lets hear from you. You know you need your shot of Skyscraper to get you motivated in the morning.

Start with this, " The best thing I'm going to do today is......... "
I miss talking to Kinguni

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:16 PM

the threads need to be organized better, i don't post in the construction thread anymore because its not a construction thread, its a political commentary, construction, natural resource extraction, childish ranting/arguing, i hate sam katz, urban planning/development, architectural, rapid transit, and more thread all mixed into one.

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
the threads need to be organized better, i don't post in the construction thread anymore because its not a construction thread, its a political commentary, construction, natural resource extraction, childish ranting/arguing, i hate sam katz, urban planning/development, architectural, rapid transit, and more thread all mixed into one.
I agree. I think its time Winnipeg had a "Local" forum, organized perhaps in a similar fashion to the Vancouver Local forum. There certainly has been enough going around here in recent years to warrant it!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:36 PM

I am here, but I mostly lurk. I originally came to the SkyscraperPage forum to read the discussions on the Capital Pointe project. Of course that project seems to be pretty much dead in the water now, so I haven't seen any need to post further in that thread. I've also participated in the discussions on the new stadium, but by this time I figure everyone's already read my opinions and so I have no need to repeat them ad nauseam.

Sometimes I will poke around in the Supertall and Highrise forums. Didn't know there were so many projects on the go in Toronto. It will be interesting to see what happens there, if there will be a condo crash there. Housing prices are already coming down in Vancouver. Wish the same would happen here, Regina definitely has a housing bubble. I suppose all I need to do is to save my hard-earned money, for what goes up must eventually come down (or at least stagnate to the point where median wages catch up with median prices).

My dad is in the finance industry, he thinks we are at about the peak of the boom in Saskatchewan, and things will slowly slide downhill from here on in because of the stagnant worldwide economy. Growth is slowing even in China, hence there will be less demand for Saskatchewan exports. How's that for interesting conversation fodder? Although I'm sure most of this ought be posted in the Western Expresso thread though. Yes, I'm just rambling now, forgive me.

Oh wait, the rest of you are from Winnipeg? I might be in the minority here then! Uh, I was born in Winnipeg and lived there for the first 3½ years of my life, does that count? I'm sure we in Regina can learn a lot from the Blue Bombers' experience in building a new stadium. Hopefully we won't make the same mistakes (or invent new ones).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:09 PM
Source?

I don't really ever have any useful information so I just lurk in the shadows. But I haft to agree with what dpenner said. I know there isn't an endless amount of construction going on in Winnipeg but the construction thread has little to do with anything building related these days.

The threads have become less about thoughtful debate and more about flaming the poster above you.

Thanks for making this thread alittle1, I think someone needed to start this as it's become a problem. I've been following this forum since around 2003, the glory days are behind it sadly...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

winnipeg construction has historicaly allways been a bit of a mix

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
where'd he go?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Yeah, I'd like to see Winnipeg get it's own local as well. I don't know if this is true, but it seems (at least from the Winnipeg side of things here) that there is far less posters who work in the construction/development business on here compared to other cities. Winnipeg seems to have a bunch of posters (including me) who just love Winnipeg and want to find out more information about new things in the city..

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:28 PM
Source?

If they're still worried about cutting the Manitoba/Saskatchewan forums in half and creating 2 very small areas, they could make one big "local" style thing.

My example would be the Halifax local which includes both Halifax and Dartmouth. Now I know that those 2 are both part of the Halifax Regional Municipality but Dartmouth developments are started with [DARTMOUTH] in front. We could maybe just do that with Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon. Just a thought.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 7:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we voted on in during the winter the vote was to keep the status quo no need to open another vote at this time

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
where'd he go?
No idea, it sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I don't really ever have any useful information so I just lurk in the shadows. But I haft to agree with what dpenner said. I know there isn't an endless amount of construction going on in Winnipeg but the construction thread has little to do with anything building related these days.

The threads have become less about thoughtful debate and more about flaming the poster above you.

Thanks for making this thread alittle1, I think someone needed to start this as it's become a problem. I've been following this forum since around 2003, the glory days are behind it sadly...
Agreed.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 3:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post

Yeah, I came to this site originally to compare and contrast how tall our buildings are in Winnipeg, and view pics of our city taken by the photographers in this forum, (Jeff in particular).

It also fell around the same time when there were discussions of the MB Hydro building potentially being a new tallest, with a concept that spanned 40 storeys with that giant windmill on the roof, and was proposed right next to the TD Centre/Canwest Place at the time.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 5:15 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yeah, I came to this site originally to compare and contrast how tall our buildings are in Winnipeg, and view pics of our city taken by the photographers in this forum, (Jeff in particular).

It also fell around the same time when there were discussions of the MB Hydro building potentially being a new tallest, with a concept that spanned 40 storeys with that giant windmill on the roof, and was proposed right next to the TD Centre/Canwest Place at the time.
That would've been so cool! Maybe if the Richardsons need an expansion, they can build that

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Kinguni, Riverman, Archseek, NewFlyer (MIA).........

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Kinguni, Riverman, Archseek, NewFlyer (MIA).........
Grumpy Old Man, Biguc, Pootkau, even OTL lately... A few from other regions used to post here regularly too - Harls, Freeweed, etc.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 4:19 PM

yeah, its prob just people busy

I posted more frequently than I do now but I've just been really busy that I tend to skim through the posts here only getting main updates

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 4:26 PM
Transit Nerd

I always see Freeweed posts on Calgary SSP, wouldn't you guys agree?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 5:24 PM

It appears I'm on the same page as headhorse here. I might not have a lot of detailed info that some fellow enthusiasts have; I'm more here to obtain such knowledge because I'm interested in and passionate about my city.

It would be nifty to have a specific Winnipeg forum, and I would hope that in such a realm folks would post most of their political thoughts / rants in specific political threads. And in a perfect world suited to my condescending, judging elitism, such a thread would stay professional, and not allow adolescent comments in bold coloured cap locks and huge font sizes. That shit really gets under my skin, and I feel it probably discredits the forums a bit when outside professionals view them.

Oh, and a "Three Emoticon Per Post Maximum Or You'll Be Euthanized" rule wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

EDIT: You know a forum has a long way to go when a guy calling himself Lenin and identifying himself with a blasphemous avatar / profile pic gives a lecture on professionalism.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Grumpy Old Man, Biguc, Pootkau, even OTL lately... A few from other regions used to post here regularly too - Harls, Freeweed, etc.
Harls posted this, just the other day:

Mooderator

Ok, here are my memories of Winnipeg:

- being stranded at the Travelodge during the blizzard of '86.

- driving in from the country on hwy 3 and reaching the perimeter, realizing you're almost in the 'big city', then continuing on McGillivray blvd, still in the country.

- staying at a hotel on Portage for some junior high band thing, and thinking how cool the skywalks were.

- exploring the tunnels at HSC when my grandpa was there, sick with cancer.

- living in Summerland and throwing pitchers of water from the 9th floor balcony into the atrium below.

- Monty's.. the Pemby (with drive-thru beer), Scandals, Grapes Pier 7.

- BDI ice cream

- Goldeyes baseball games

- the old Hooters near the stadium.

- Edgefest 1997, wearing sandals and getting bloody toes from being stomped on.

Sounds like he's still alive.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan