HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 12:40 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

quite the change indeed the old siding is looking really worn out now crazy how much its changed in the last yr

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 12:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
It will be a beacon, a glistening symbol of vibrancy. It will sparkle at Portage and Main, while the east side continues to be bland. Here is to others jumping on the bandwagon to trasnform this important area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89319...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:25 PM
What could go wrong?

Some great never seen before renderings of the reverse side of 300 Main in the newest issue of InStyle Magazine.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

curent or old school stuff?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 3:47 PM

Thanks for the tip, Biff. 300 Main looks good!

Digital version of the magazine can be found here:

http://www.stylemanitoba.co/?project...ba-summer-2016

Are those revised/updated renderings or just new views of the original concept?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 4:18 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe they are just more views of the original design. I like seeing the backside.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
It will be a beacon, a glistening symbol of vibrancy. It will sparkle at Portage and Main, while the east side continues to be bland. Here is to others jumping on the bandwagon to trasnform this important area.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89319...7i13312!8i6656
That's probably my favourite building in the city. One of the only downtown buildings to be properly lit up taking into account building shape and shadows. Looks like Gotahm at night, I love it.

I think what that strip needs really is some landscaping. More trees and maybe some planters along the walls. Sure something will happen as CV starts to think about Main Street and The Forks connections now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 7:00 PM
BANNED

A 40 storey glass tower rising behind the Bestlands building would help break up the beige. A reclad Bestlands building would too.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 7:10 PM
There is always a way

Wouldnt it be something if once this project really gets moving if something were announced for 416 main and bell decided to build a new tower to house their western hq

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 9:38 PM

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 2:43 AM
BANNED

Looking good.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 3:41 AM
BANNED

CDI College really needs to remove the atrocious murals from the main floor windows.
The building looks awful.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/cadominbuilding.shtml

https://spacelist.ca/p/mb/winnipeg/280_main_st

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Wouldnt it be something if once this project really gets moving if something were announced for 416 main and bell decided to build a new tower to house their western hq
The is about the same chance of Bell building a tower in Winnipeg as True North being awarded a second NHL franchise to play out of MTS Centre. (aka never going to happen). Bell's "western HQ" is essentially "the current MTS employees". If anything Bell's Western HQ will have a total employee base less than what MTS employees now. For example back office functions like billing, customer service contact centre, finance, etc are extremely easy to relocate to their corporate hq or elsewhere. That reduces both the Winnipeg head count and the required office space. Bell is also not suddenly going to significantly grow their business west of Manitoba so the demand for extra employees is going to be extremely low. Now factor in the vacancies in the Portage and Main area that True North Square is going to cause and the overall pressure on the market for existing office space downtown. It is for reasons very similar to this that MTS didn't build a new tower when they moved from Polo Park to downtown. Having Bell running the show doesn't change any of that.

The flip side being the "always sold out" success of the Jets and the proof that Winnipeg can support two pro hockey teams with the Moose and you could, in theory, start making a case that Winnipeg could support a second NHL team. League politics would keep that from ever occurring but it is as likely as Bell building a new tower in downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 3:09 PM

360 Main re-clad starting to grow on me a bit. Not a huge fan of the black. Pardon my lack of technical jargon here. But anyone know why they have black metal pieces for a small area then have the shiny silver ones everywhere else. The metal strips between the windows. Silver looks much better. I was/am scared the whole building will be covered in the black cheap looking strips.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Now factor in the vacancies in the Portage and Main area that True North Square is going to cause and the overall pressure on the market for existing office space downtown. It is for reasons very similar to this that MTS didn't build a new tower when they moved from Polo Park to downtown. Having Bell running the show doesn't change any of that.
I remember when MTS was looking for a new HQ downtown. As I recall they had a number of responses to their RFP that would have seen a new building go up, but since the former Bank of Montreal Tower at 333 Main was literally nearly empty at the time it was a no-brainer for them to snap it up.

The Bank of Montreal has made some peculiar decisions regarding office buildings in Winnipeg... I'd love to know the thinking behind it. They were the main tenant of the Newport Centre when it was built in 1971, and then they ditched that and moved the Man/Sask HQ to the then-new Bank of Montreal Building on Main in 1983. Then sometime in the 90s, the bank's presence in that tower faded to virtually nothing, setting the stage for MTS to take it over.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 4:53 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
360 Main re-clad starting to grow on me a bit. Not a huge fan of the black. Pardon my lack of technical jargon here. But anyone know why they have black metal pieces for a small area then have the shiny silver ones everywhere else. The metal strips between the windows. Silver looks much better. I was/am scared the whole building will be covered in the black cheap looking strips.
My guess is those are simply thin plastic adhesives for protection, much like the stuff that comes on the frame of a brand new tv...?

If not, perhaps a capping related to water/weatherproofing... Regardless, either finish will be substantially prettier than the existing goose poop finish.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 5:28 PM

The silver part is the frame that the black strips get fastened to. The black strips appeared silver before too.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 5:35 PM

Hmm, I see. I will reserve further judgement until more work is completed. But yes, much nicer than the golden brown.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Hmm, I see. I will reserve further judgement until more work is completed. But yes, much nicer than the golden brown.
Yeah, too soon to tell right now. I'll wait until they get the first 5 storeys done. I'm optimistic, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan