HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:01 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
It's the busiest intersection in Inglewood with 2 of the 4 corners just parking lots (one a car dealer, one public parking) so it's a great location for development and a marquee building.

The lot outlined in red

One thing this shot also shows is how much space there is behind some of the buildings on 9th avenue. You could put additional multi-family housing behind some of the historic buildings to increase density pretty easily.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:12 PM

That Inglewood project's an eye sore hopefully it doesn't get built. Looks like an ugly popsicle structure.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:15 PM

nm

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
That Inglewood project's an eye sore hopefully it doesn't get built. Looks like an ugly popsicle structure.
Thank you. I wasn’t going to say anything, but since you brought it up I am totally in agreement with you. I think the main reason people like it is because it’s the only construction topic that’s come up in the last two months so people will like just about anything.

I know the designers are trying to be edgy but come on, it’s just plain awkward looking for the sake of being different.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:47 AM

The building as shown in the renders would look fantastic in any city. I just worry if it is ever built that it would not live up to the render.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:09 AM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I agree that looks amazing. I'm curious though, this isn't a criticism, but it looks 'too good' for the location. Why put such a noteworthy building in a totally fine, but relatively unimportant location? Regardless, I hope it gets built and looks like the render.
This intersection is basically the heart of Inglewood, btw.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
I’m in the “this is an eyesore camp” that should never be built in Inglewood. Completely out of character with the historic nature of 9th Ave and out of step with the IDI. Also there is a 20m height restriction in Inglewood, AVLI up the street at 22.5m just squeaked through. Build it somewhere else.

https://icacalgary.com/resources/sit...ve-fullPDF.pdf

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
Thank you. I wasn’t going to say anything, but since you brought it up I am totally in agreement with you. I think the main reason people like it is because it’s the only construction topic that’s come up in the last two months so people will like just about anything.

I know the designers are trying to be edgy but come on, it’s just plain awkward looking for the sake of being different.
Not me. I love this design because it looks frickin' cool.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLance21 View Post
This intersection is basically the heart of Inglewood, btw.
So? It's still not exactly the heart and soul of Calgary. As I said in the post, it's not a criticism, I'm just surprised that what could be (if it is built, and looks like the renders) one of the nicest buildings in Calgary is being built in a non prime location.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:40 AM
Build'em high!

Quote:
The building as shown in the renders would look fantastic in any city. I just worry if it is ever built that it would not live up to the render.
It wouldn't look fantastic in any city, it's a stupid looking building. Just because something is different than the norm doesn't make it good.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:42 AM
Build'em high!

Nice to see that not everyone here is part of this thread's usual sheep herd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
I’m in the “this is an eyesore camp” that should never be built in Inglewood. Completely out of character with the historic nature of 9th Ave and out of step with the IDI. Also there is a 20m height restriction in Inglewood, AVLI up the street at 22.5m just squeaked through. Build it somewhere else.

https://icacalgary.com/resources/sit...ve-fullPDF.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 9:08 PM

I don't usually agree with anything from Bad Grizzly, but as a resident of Inglewood, I find the rndsqr building an abomination, I hope it never gets built!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:30 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I think it's also prudent to be wary of renderings that show buildings to be super translucent as once you get furniture, blinds, not to mention the glazing itself it rarely turns out that way.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_ting_on View Post
I don't usually agree with anything from Bad Grizzly, but as a resident of Inglewood, I find the rndsqr building an abomination, I hope it never gets built!
What a surprise! King of the NIMBYs! Hopefully The Grid and his RNDSQR one go up.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:51 AM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
This is from the "other" site but was retweeted by the developer. This project (RNDSQR Block) looks very cool but will Inglewood ever allow a 12 story building to be constructed?
I often wondered if people that moved from the other site would come back after a certain poster went away.

I guess I was wrong.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Abomination is a good word for it, I don’t care too much if it gets built or not, it’s not in my neighbourhood but still feel bad for the residents of Inglewood.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:57 AM

My thoughts on the building

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:17 AM

Quote:
What a surprise! King of the NIMBYs! Hopefully The Grid and his RNDSQR one go up.
Says the guy who probably lives in one of those cookie cutter suburban houses in the middle of nowhere. I'd love to see this thing get built in your nieighborhood, you'd be the first guy to freak out.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Says the guy who probably lives in one of those cookie cutter suburban houses in the middle of nowhere. I'd love to see this thing get built in your nieighborhood, you'd be the first guy to freak out.
Nope, I live in a similar area of the city. I'd love a building like that nearby.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Nope, I live in a similar area of the city. I'd love a building like that nearby.
Define "nearby." Do you mean within the community or a community or two away?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates