HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 2:28 AM

San Antonio-Fastest growing city in the state

Kinda surprised no one has posted this but SA is the fastest growing city in the state.

Nationwide SA rank 3rd.

1.) NYC
2.) LA
3.) SA

Texas-

1.) SA
2.) Fort Worth
3.) Dallas
4.) Houston
5.) Austin

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/dat...nsus_Data.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Kinda surprised no one has posted this but SA is the fastest growing city in the state.

Nationwide SA rank 3rd.

1.) NYC
2.) LA
3.) SA

Texas-

1.) SA
2.) Fort Worth
3.) Dallas
4.) Houston
5.) Austin

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/dat...nsus_Data.html
It's an interesting statistic to be sure. San Antonio's labor economy is one of the more robust in the country so I can see why so many people are moving here. One would think that the steady increase in population of the metropolitan area of San Antonio would equate to more major professional sports leagues moving into town finally.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 4:29 AM

Not really that surprising. San Antonio doesn't really have the suburban communities that other cities have.

Schertz and New Braunfels are establishing themselves, but most others are pretty small right now. So most of the growth is within or swallowed up by the city.

I think metropolitan statistics are a more accurate picture of the growth areas are experiencing. This is more representative of the television market which is a major influence on league expansions.

San Antonio is around 30th which also happens to be about the number of teams that the leagues are keeping. The one which has room to expand is MLS.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 5:02 AM

not so....alamo heights, olmos park, terrell hills, castle hills, leon vally ect.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 5:02 AM

Not to nitpick, but SA added more in gross population than any other TX city, which is different than saying it grew at a faster rate. Rate has to do with percentage growth rather than gross numbers.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
not so....alamo heights, olmos park, terrell hills, castle hills, leon vally ect.
All of those have a population of 10K or less and fall into the "pretty small" category. Schertz and New Braunfels (30K and 45K or so) are small compared to the suburbs of other big cities in Texas.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 9:01 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Not to nitpick, but SA added more in gross population than any other TX city, which is different than saying it grew at a faster rate. Rate has to do with percentage growth rather than gross numbers.
The term rate was never used. All that was said was that SA grew the fastest.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Not really that surprising. San Antonio doesn't really have the suburban communities that other cities have.

Schertz and New Braunfels are establishing themselves, but most others are pretty small right now. So most of the growth is within or swallowed up by the city.

I think metropolitan statistics are a more accurate picture of the growth areas are experiencing. This is more representative of the television market which is a major influence on league expansions.

San Antonio is around 30th which also happens to be about the number of teams that the leagues are keeping. The one which has room to expand is MLS.
SA is 28th.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The term rate was never used. All that was said was that SA grew the fastest.
You know fastest implies rate of growth.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
You know fastest implies rate of growth.
Actually, to get technical, fastest can be used in both cases.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Actually, to get technical, fastest can be used in both cases.
How? If a city with 10,000 people grows by 1,000 residents, and a city with a million people grows by 2,000 residents, nobody on earth would say the bigger city is growing faster.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 10:43 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
How? If a city with 10,000 people grows by 1,000 residents, and a city with a million people grows by 2,000 residents, nobody on earth would say the bigger city is growing faster.
Agreed!

However, that doesn't diminish San Antonio's growth.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 1:50 AM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
I am not surprised, San Antonio's time has come and is here to stay for a long time. Bravo! Just as the mayor himself said, "This is the decade of downtown for San Antonio"

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 11:39 PM

The only Texas city with really big suburbs is Dallas/Ft Worth. Houston to much lesser degree.
Bexar County has nearly 1.7 million and the fastest growing county in Texas between 2000-2007 in raw numbers I believe. San Antonio being one of the fastest growing cities should be a indication of i'ts metro growth as well. It is also one of the fastest growing U.S. metros. I'd rather see more growth in the city proper rather than out in the metro area 50 miles out in some small city that has no real urbanity. Remember sprawl, definitely exburbia sprawl is not so welcomed.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
The only Texas city with really big suburbs is Dallas/Ft Worth. Houston to much lesser degree.
Bexar County has nearly 1.7 million and the fastest growing county in Texas between 2000-2007 in raw numbers I believe. San Antonio being one of the fastest growing cities should be a indication of i'ts metro growth as well. It is also one of the fastest growing U.S. metros. I'd rather see more growth in the city proper rather than out in the metro area 50 miles out in some small city that has no real urbanity. Remember sprawl, definitely exburbia sprawl is not so welcomed.
No, Bexar County was actually fourth. Harris, Tarrant, and Collin Counties take the first three spots (in order).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 8:57 PM

You are probably correct. I'm not 100% certain what stats I'm referring to. Something I posted awhile back. Need to look for it, i'm probably mistaken.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 11:23 PM

What is meant by "region."

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Region is surrounding areas

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 2:12 AM

Does this include Austin, Laredo, etc???

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 9:11 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

The "Austin-San Antonio Corridor" (i.e., the Austin and San Antonio Metro. Areas) is to what I believe he was referring. This "region" has roughly 3.8 million people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio