HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:05 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Has anyone heard anything about work being done at MetroCenter Mall? I heard from someone that it is being demolished, and a Super Walmart is going in its place. Is this true? Or is it like Christown Mall where it might be renovated into having big box retailers (Super Target, Costco, Walmart)?

Anyone know anything?
There is a super Wal Mart going in, yes.

Some of the mall may be demolished at some point, yes.

They are going to Phoenix to get a PUD put on the area so they can basically do whatever. They're open to office, residential, medical, or really any kind of use on that land. They're of course open to retail too, but that is likely to be quite limited in the future.

They're very eager to get Light Rail to them and have MetroCenter be the terminus for LRT for a while. LRT may eventually go to ASU West, but its likely to dead end at Metro for a long time. They see the possibility of LRT coming to Metro as a major selling point for them.

That PBJ article does a good job outlining it all.

On a related note: It's very important we make sure that Super Salad building doesn't get razed, it's a gem! Obviously its been pretty messed up as a Super Salad, but it could be a mid century gem once again. I'd love to see Metro Center's transit center moved there. The building itself could be used for ticketing, indoor waiting, showers and bike lockers potentially, etc.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 9:44 PM

I agree Hoover, that Super Salad building is wonderfully unique and must be made into something fun or interesting or unique as well!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Can you confirm the location of this? The location you described doesn't make sense. Alvarado and the car wash are both west of 3rd Street, so it couldn't be on 3rd St like you said. Will they be demolishing something regardless?
Well, it technically is on 3rd Street though it will be facing McDowell; it will be at the intersection of 3rd Street/Alvarado where a hotel currently sits (Quality Inn?) west of the car wash.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Well, it technically is on 3rd Street though it will be facing McDowell; it will be at the intersection of 3rd Street/Alvarado where a hotel currently sits (Quality Inn?) west of the car wash.
Confusing still because Alvarado and 3rd Street are parallel, and the corner of 3rd Street and McDowell is where the car wash is... But I think you are trying to say the corner of Mcdowell and Alvarado. Either way, so they're tearing down the Quality Inn? Not a loss. I feel like we heard about that being torn down for something years ago.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Now if Park Center could open their eyes, it would be a game changer for Midtown.

Also, on the Monroe Hilton bit, I hope this means the Lodge will stay and something in the future could utilize the space. I personally was tickled by the idea someone had on here of it turning into a hostel. I always thought a saloon bar or piano lounge or something to bridge the era it comes from would do great on the ground floor. A rooftop garden cafe is another idea.
Love all your ideas for the Lodge; there are so many interesting ways to integrate a rare gem like that into the modern-day downtown, that it's disheartening that no developer has the vision or desire to do anything with it but destroy it.

Also agree that Park Central needs to follow the lead of Metrocenter. Do you think there is value in the buildings that exist currently? I feel like gutting it and starting over would be easier than retrofitting, but not if there is anything significant about what's there - I'm not very familiar with that mall.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Love all your ideas for the Lodge; there are so many interesting ways to integrate a rare gem like that into the modern-day downtown, that it's disheartening that no developer has the vision or desire to do anything with it but destroy it.

Also agree that Park Central needs to follow the lead of Metrocenter. Do you think there is value in the buildings that exist currently? I feel like gutting it and starting over would be easier than retrofitting, but not if there is anything significant about what's there - I'm not very familiar with that mall.
Park Central is not really a mall. It's mostly an outdoor mall with a lot of restaurants and they are actually very busy. I've gone to the technical training school numerous times and actually quite enjoy that little "mall". Not really sure how to improve it other than maybe replace the massive parking lot with a building and integrated parking garage of some type.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
There is a super Wal Mart going in, yes.

Some of the mall may be demolished at some point, yes.

They are going to Phoenix to get a PUD put on the area so they can basically do whatever. They're open to office, residential, medical, or really any kind of use on that land. They're of course open to retail too, but that is likely to be quite limited in the future.

They're very eager to get Light Rail to them and have MetroCenter be the terminus for LRT for a while. LRT may eventually go to ASU West, but its likely to dead end at Metro for a long time. They see the possibility of LRT coming to Metro as a major selling point for them.

That PBJ article does a good job outlining it all.

On a related note: It's very important we make sure that Super Salad building doesn't get razed, it's a gem! Obviously its been pretty messed up as a Super Salad, but it could be a mid century gem once again. I'd love to see Metro Center's transit center moved there. The building itself could be used for ticketing, indoor waiting, showers and bike lockers potentially, etc.
Somehow I missed your response. Thanks.

Yeah, that building the Super Salad is in is awesome. As a kid that lived in north phoenix and frequented Metrocenter in the 80s and early 90s and just generally remember driving by the metro area on I-17 all the time, I definitely remember that bank building. I always thought it was so weird and actually generally thought it was kind of ugly. But now I've gained a tremendous respect for mid-century architecture, they definitely need to preserve it.

They can go ahead and tear down any of the dozen or so steak house restaurants in the vicinity for all I care. I can't image how any/all of them stay open when they are all next to each other.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 5:48 PM

Sooper Salad has the same architect who designed Phoenix Financial Center, WA Sarmiento. Both buildings were originally Western Savings, btw. Great picture here: http://www.modernphoenix.net/wackywestwide.htm

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 7:55 PM
self-important urbanista

It's Souper Salad, and, yes, the building should be preserved even as MetroCenter is redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Confusing still because Alvarado and 3rd Street are parallel, and the corner of 3rd Street and McDowell is where the car wash is... But I think you are trying to say the corner of Mcdowell and Alvarado. Either way, so they're tearing down the Quality Inn? Not a loss. I feel like we heard about that being torn down for something years ago.
Lol, sorry. Yes. Wherever the Quality Inn is.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 8:29 AM

Some other updates/news:

1) 8th Ave/Roosevelt Towhomes preliminary site review is scheduled for this week.
2) City of Phoenix is going to be putting out an RFP for Biomedical-related buildings for the campus (so much for the "two" campuses building synergies with each other; pretty pathetic when you have to resort to RFPing land you cleared without any foresight)
3) City entered into development agreements with both Union@Roosevelt and Ballpark Apartments last week - not sure what that means, but it can't be bad news?
4) Looks like the City is gearing up to RFP 206 E Portland; would be great to see that eyesore turned into ~4-story townhomes or live/work units.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 7:25 PM

updates

First time poster, long time reader.. thought I would add some conversations I've had to the forum.

Town homes on 3rd Ave - MetroWest has sold all but 6 units. HOA fees are $170/mo.. yikes

The Union - Developer hopes to break ground in January

Songbird - leaving due to issues with lease restrictions. Looking to relocate as near as possible. Currently taking a survey inside on "how people get (transport) to songbird."

The small building attached to monOrchid is also supposedly being developed into a restaurant and also speculated that the GreenHaus building next door will be torn down (and possibly building/parking lot to east) for a new project.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxKent View Post
First time poster, long time reader.. thought I would add some conversations I've had to the forum.

Town homes on 3rd Ave - MetroWest has sold all but 6 units. HOA fees are $170/mo.. yikes

The Union - Developer hopes to break ground in January

Songbird - leaving due to issues with lease restrictions. Looking to relocate as near as possible. Currently taking a survey inside on "how people get (transport) to songbird."

The small building attached to monOrchid is also supposedly being developed into a restaurant and also speculated that the GreenHaus building next door will be torn down (and possibly building/parking lot to east) for a new project.
@ phxKent - Please forgive my ignorance but which development is "The Union"? I get that one mixed up with the "Central Station" development for some reason - thank you very much...
Speaking of "Central Station", does anyone have any new information on that project? Is it still planned or in the planning stages? Thank's for any info.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 11:43 PM

The Union is at 1st Ave and Roosevelt.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The Union is at 1st Ave and Roosevelt.
Thank you for the clarification, HX_Guy. Do you know if Central Station is still planned or not? I haven't heard any news about it recently.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 3:21 AM

Any renderings on the 8th ave and Roosevelt town homes? I don't remember hearing about those. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxKent View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing the old Scientology building torn down and redeveloped, but GreenHaus is in an historic building which has one of Phoenix's oldest murals inside by local artist Ted DeGrazia. It's covered up right now to protect the mural, but it would not be a good thing to tear that building down (along with the mural) and then end up with something like Roosevelt Pointe across the street or even worse, another vacant lot.

Here's a link to a New Times article on the artist and the murals: http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...zia_murals.php

Any additional details on what is possibly being considered for that site phxKent?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the old Scientology building torn down and redeveloped, but GreenHaus is in an historic blding which has one of Phoenix's oldest murals inside by local artist Ted DeGrazia. It's covered up right now to protect the mural, but it would not be a good thing to tear that building down (along with the mural) and then end up with something like Roosevelt Pointe across the street or even worse, another vacant lot.

Here's a link to a New Times article on the artist and the murals: http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...zia_murals.php

Any additional details on what is possibly being considered for that site phxKent?
Wow. I had no idea about those murals. How is it that any time anything historic and neat/unique is always threatened by demolition?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ1970 View Post
@ phxKent - Please forgive my ignorance but which development is "The Union"?
http://www.metrowestdevelopment.com/union/

I don't read this thread commonly, but have been keeping up to date recently. Weren't there two office projects planned a year or two back that were 250'+. I think one was tending toward the northwest end of downtown and was very criticized for its large podium parking garage. Are those projects down the drain or on hold? I'm beyond thankful that pin project is dead.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post

No and as I mention the comment that was shared with me seemed very speculative from a somewhat disgruntled party.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest