HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Not really. It is not the most beautiful city but I wouldn't say its run down or dirty. Its only a few areas that are shitty, the city for the most part is pretty nice.
That was just my experience downtown outside the exchange district, I went to the Peg 5 times last summer and found that every time. The Exchange and the Forks were really nice, though the Forks needs a better connection to downtown, the train tracks and sea of parking are a bit of a barrier.

To be honest though, no Canadian city is truly shitty and run down, not like most american cities. I spend a few weeks in San Jose many years back and was amazed how shitty parts of San Francisco were when I would visit on the weekends. Vancouver gets close with the DTES, but it's still not really that bad, apart from the junkies all over the place.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:40 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Did you have a bad experience there or something? I bet places like Austin are pretty cool. I am sure there are a lot of cool places and people in Texas. Seems like a rather harsh thing to say about people.
When you average it out, I mean, Austin and San Antonio try real hard but they're just not enough!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:56 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
OMG rrskylar killed somebody

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
OMG rrskylar killed somebody
Nah, but you'll be the first to know!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:41 PM

^^I believe the final one of 2019 (and the last one to date) occurred on the 27th of December.

Very anomalous that October had ten homicides, nearly one in four for the year, nine of which occurred in the second half of the month, after the freak Thanksgiving snowstorm. I know most people felt as if they had taken a hard punch to the gut after that one. It's as if that storm was accompanied by some very sinister energy. Any astrologers want to take a "stab" at that one? March and May were also bad months with six each. July and September had one each and the year finished with five in November and December combined. There were distinct rises and falls in the homicide numbers over the course of the year. Uncertain what the factors are, perhaps those times of the year that saw increased numbers saw bad batches of drugs circulating in the supply. I also wonder if there is a correlation between reduced sunlight hours and homicide numbers.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 10:53 PM

Winnipeg had it's first homicide of the year last night.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 2:00 AM
the first stamp is free

Well, I guess we know what happened if rrskylar stops posting here for the next 15 years or so, depending on good behavior.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 5:18 PM

Winnipeg recorded its second homicide this morning.
A shooting at an hotel (which is kitty-corner to the police headquarters)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...otel-1.5424145

This hotel has its share of police activity in the past year
https://globalnews.ca/news/6307656/d...windsor-hotel/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lice-1.5087897

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Well, I guess we know what happened if rrskylar stops posting here for the next 15 years or so, depending on good behavior.
Ha, 15 years in Canada! Good one, more like 10 and out in 6 ot 7 with good behaviour.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:51 AM
Moran supreme

Calgary, something like 20 or 21 for 2019. 2020 is off to a roaring start, not even two weeks in and possibly 5 in the books already.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Winnipeg recorded its second homicide this morning.
A shooting at an hotel (which is kitty-corner to the police headquarters)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...otel-1.5424145

This hotel has its share of police activity in the past year
https://globalnews.ca/news/6307656/d...windsor-hotel/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lice-1.5087897
That hotel has always been a problem. I used to work in that area and would see the cops there regularly. These shitty roach hotels are a real problem in Winnipeg. I wish the city would shut a lot of them down.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 6:11 PM

Another homicide this weekend, lots of gunplay in the city lately too. 2020 is off to a bad start after a really quiet 2019!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 11:43 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
That hotel has always been a problem. I used to work in that area and would see the cops there regularly. These shitty roach hotels are a real problem in Winnipeg. I wish the city would shut a lot of them down.
Thunder Bay just closed its last one and it solved nothing.

We're up to two for Thunder Bay. Off to a great start for 2020.

UPDATE: Aggravated assault victim has passed, police now investigating homicide

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...micide-2017402

Thunder Bay Police were first called to a reported break and enter at a residence on the 300 block of Syndicate Avenue North just before 3 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 9.

An 18-year-old male was discovered and believed to have been the victim of an assault. He was transported to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre for treatment.

“Unfortunately the victim succumbed to his injuries this weekend,” said Det. Insp. John Fennell with the Thunder Bay Police Service. “So as such, the major case investigators are reviewing it with the Crown’s office now to find the most appropriate charges to lay. The investigation has also revealed two other victims in the home, so more charges will be pending for that as well.”

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:15 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
If only WPS would shut it down, permanently... but of course, WPS never gets anything done, so it'll always just keep going and going. It's total bullshit. Alot of people getting hurt and losing their lives.

As for Calgary... oh man, its getting worse out here, as the other posters have mentioned. Almost starting to feel like Winnipeg, around Calgary lately. Especially near the train stations, and the NE.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:21 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
5 Suspicious deaths in a week here, we're going full Winnipeg!
The rest of the city too is starting to scream Winnipeg... and this is coming from a guy born and raised in Winnipeg, that escaped to Calgary, just to watch it slowly turn into Winnipeg...

It's like Winnipeg is the Soviet Union, and Canada is the "free world" - we're just slowly taking over, bit by bit, until all of Canada resembles Winnipeg

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay just closed its last one and it solved nothing.
Yeah it probably wont solve much, but they are known to be places of trouble. The city and communities shouldn't be ok with these establisments. They are known hot spots for drugs, prostitution and crime in general. The owners don't give a shit about what goes on there or the surrounding communities. It's a disgrace.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 1:48 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Yeah it probably wont solve much, but they are known to be places of trouble. The city and communities shouldn't be ok with these establisments. They are known hot spots for drugs, prostitution and crime in general. The owners don't give a shit about what goes on there or the surrounding communities. It's a disgrace.
The owner of ours was a random East Indian guy in Brampton who wouldn't respond to the city or local media.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 2:57 AM

Quote:
The owner of ours was a random East Indian guy in Brampton who wouldn't respond to the city or local media.

Not surprised by that at all. Most of them here are also owned by east Indians. They could care less about the local community.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:07 AM
I am a typical

In the past they were owned by Italians, before that, Englishmen. They don't own the properties for the purpose of providing homes, they own them for the purpose of making an easy dollar off the land value over time. That's why they invest nothing in them. It's always been like this going right back to the 1800s.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:11 AM

Quote:
They don't own the properties for the purpose of providing homes, they own them for the purpose of making an easy dollar off the land value over time. .
Off the land value and the social problems of Natives and others down on their luck. You are correct. You are correct others have dont it. Its too bad this is still acceptable in 2020.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada