HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Last month I took my kid to that very same inner city 7-Eleven to grab a slurpee. It was my first time in that location in years, and I was surprised to see what it looked like inside... I wouldn't quite say it was fortified, but it was definitely heavily modified to deal with crime. A couple of 7-Elevens have even closed in recent years due to shoplifting and crime, and one more is slated to close.

I hate to say it but certain parts of Winnipeg are taking on the character of big, downtrodden American cities. Other cities may be going through similar things, but I'd be pretty surprised if it was as common and serious as it has been here. I think it's pretty damn newsworthy.
Yes I agree with your comment. I don't think Winnipeg is getting unfair treatment in the media.

I have been at that location once. I have seen people walk in and grab things at others. I know people that have been assualted at a 711 on Henderson. I usually tru to avoid 711 all together.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:37 PM

Keep in mind that with the way the media works these days, negative stories get a lot more attention and are run in the first few minutes of a new program, or near the top of the page online. I'm sure there are some positive stories about Winnipeg out there, but nobody reads them, so it seems like the only time a place makes the news is when something bad happens.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Last month I took my kid to that very same inner city 7-Eleven to grab a slurpee. It was my first time in that location in years, and I was surprised to see what it looked like inside... I wouldn't quite say it was fortified, but it was definitely heavily modified to deal with crime. A couple of 7-Elevens have even closed in recent years due to shoplifting and crime, and one more is slated to close.

I hate to say it but certain parts of Winnipeg are taking on the character of big, downtrodden American cities. Other cities may be going through similar things, but I'd be pretty surprised if it was as common and serious as it has been here. I think it's pretty damn newsworthy.
Some parts of some Central Canadian cities seem to be evolving in this direction as well.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:07 AM
I am a typical

In Thunder Bay the LCBOs are actually putting the most commonly stolen liquor near the front so that the theft causes less disruption to actual customers. The fact that the Kellys is going to be stolen is basically built into the regional business model at this point, they might as well just put them outside the door. The staff gave up on enforcing shoplifting a couple years ago and now just let it happen; it's not good for anyone, but it's better than having them get hurt trying to save objects. One Macs employee several years ago attacked a robber during a robbery, the local media hailed him as a hero. Within months, the gang that the robber came from tracked him down and killed him. But at least he saved Mac's $40 and some cigarettes! The location closed a few months later and is now a Booster Juice. The area around our main LCBO and Beer Store has so much loitering that the nearby KFC now has security guards and closes the dining room at 8pm. Several dead bodies (both suicides/accidental deaths and murders) have been found around there.

Grocery stores with beer and wine have built baffles at their entrances to slow access and egress and reduce shoplifting, at Superstore if you approach the entrance door from inside the store, alarms go off. The only place that doesn't have this is Walmart, which has a security guard permanently posted to the alcohol aisle and two security guards at each entrance.

A lot of the Mac's/Circle K locations have closed in recent years too, but part of that is due to saturation. There are still 3 within walking distance of my house.

Thunder Bay has apparently had 7 homicides this year. I'm not motivated enough to find articles linking to all of them, we'll just have to take TBNewsWatch's word for it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:13 AM
I am a typical

But, you know, the LCBO gives Ontario's government millions of dollars in profit every year!!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:39 PM

Thats actually pretty bad for a city the size of Thunder Bay. Regina is another place that seems to be having these issues.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:29 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay is a city of 110,000+50,000. The +50,000 is the 600,000sqkm hinterland with 50,000 severely impoverished people living in 75 communities who depend on Thunder Bay to access almost every service, and since they have absolutely no mental health of addictions treatment *at all*, they put the people suffering from those problems on planes to Thunder Bay. With one way tickets. And tell them to never go home.

They don't want to do this, but the way government and taxation is structured in Canada makes it too difficult for them to deal with it themselves, and no amount of "Why aren't the chiefs doing something?????" seems to change fundamental aspects of how the country operates. Which is weird. Because people here say it often and loudly.

Honestly, some people's approach to this crisis is about as logical as asking someone tied to a chair to just walk away.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 2:09 AM

Saskatoon has a population of 270k and has had 16 homicides so far this year. Another bad one.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:00 PM

Kitchener had one last night - a 20 year old man found shot on an off-ramp of Highway 7/8. Not sure how many that makes this year - I think an average year in Region of Waterloo is +/- 6.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay is a city of 110,000+50,000. The +50,000 is the 600,000sqkm hinterland with 50,000 severely impoverished people living in 75 communities who depend on Thunder Bay to access almost every service, and since they have absolutely no mental health of addictions treatment *at all*, they put the people suffering from those problems on planes to Thunder Bay. With one way tickets. And tell them to never go home.

They don't want to do this, but the way government and taxation is structured in Canada makes it too difficult for them to deal with it themselves, and no amount of "Why aren't the chiefs doing something?????" seems to change fundamental aspects of how the country operates. Which is weird. Because people here say it often and loudly.

Honestly, some people's approach to this crisis is about as logical as asking someone tied to a chair to just walk away.
One reason that Thunder Bay has it bad is because it's the only regional centre in Northwestern Ontario. Timmins has it bad for a city its size but the people with the problems in Northeastern Ontario can be spread out between Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay and the Sault and also some larger towns whereas in the Northwest Thunder Bay gets pretty much all of them.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 11:01 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Another for Ottawa. Shooting in broad daylight on a south end suburban street.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another for Ottawa. Shooting in broad daylight on a south end suburban street.
Victim id's as 24 year old man, Ashor Anwia. Targeted shooting, according to police.

That's 14 this year.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Victim id's as 24 year old man, Ashor Anwia. Targeted shooting, according to police.

That's 14 this year.
Sounds like he was a nice guy. Before yesterday his previous claim to fame was an involvement in a human/sex trafficking case.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 9:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Statscan published data on how the murder rate has been evolving in major Canadian cities over the past decades or so.

According to what this story in French is reporting, murder rates are up significantly in Toronto and Ottawa. They are down significantly in the major cities of Quebec and Western Canada. (See table.)

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...3B_5PINNNl2qSs

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 10:17 PM
the first stamp is free

The table they show is comparing the 2018 homicide rate to the average rate over the previous 10 years.

It's a bit misleading in the sense that homicide stats can peak on any given year, and go right back down the following year (and so on and so on) - I don't really see what they are trying to show here, unless someone is trying hard to make a case murder is on the rise in Ontario and down in the west. But it's just a snap shot in time.

Case in point Winnipeg - we had a low or average year for homicides last year (2018), but this year could set a new record.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 9:30 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Sorry, not a contributor to this thread (although I do read it), but I do remember a comment from Pinus after the Raps won the championship. He went on the basketball thread and simply wrote something like "Basketball... meh". And that was all.

Not a complaint or whine, but seemed like a pointless post. What was the reason for that? Trolling I guess?

I have noticed a couple of jabs directed at him in other threads, like this one, so the comment in the bball thread came to mind.
Very typical sir.

I have not watched a single bb game in my life but I was very happy for those fans.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 3:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Montreal at 17 after a fatal shooting last night. Took place around midnight at a "baby shower".

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal at 17 after a fatal shooting last night. Took place around midnight at a "baby shower".
Three others injured. Must have been quite the party ....

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

There a few actions than can be, and should be taken......some action, albeit too slowly may be in progress.

1) Building up a second regional centre in the north-west; Kenora. A new hospital there is in the planning stages and it will add an MRI and a several other new services, perhaps, addiction treatment/mental health as well. This would be a good addition for all residents of the north-west and bring services closer to home for many, while also reducing the strain on T-Bay.

I should add the existing hospital supports outpatient addiction treatment, and its a question of adding in-patient services, and/or supports in non-core hours (weekends/evenings etc.)

Kenora is only 15,000 but is at the centre of an area of about 45,000 and that could be built on if the community had a better range of core services.

2) The Treaty 9 first nations are the only group I'm aware of to have healthcare rights in their treaties. This provides a sound basis to begin a shift of healthcare services, where practical to that group and allow them to find ways to deliver more of the care they need, where and when they need it.

There is a clear obstacle with remote, fly-in/out communities; I have long argued that most of these should be phased-out. To be clear, I'm not proposed any kind of forced assimilation, but rather, allowing the first nations with help and dollars from professional planners to create one or more new hub centres that would be predominately aboriginal, but connected to the outside world by year-round road, with greater economic opportunities, and with a critical mass of population that would support High Schools and even Community College services within the new centre.

If you could consolidate 5 smaller communities that range of a few hundred to a few thousand to a single community of 10,000 or more, a huge new range of jobs and services would become viable. Not cheap, but surely worthy of examination for its potential social and economic benefits.

3) Beyond these issues, there needs to be a real change in mindset in some communities such as T-Bay.

Its not merely a matter of reducing overt racism, though that would surely help.

But of completely shifting a mindset.

The most important part after containing and diminishing 'racism' is to address the form kindness takes.

It needs to shift from pity which is often a form of condescension and systemic racism to one of equally positive expectation.

If you believe everyone is capable of succeeding, from the school child to the middle-aged man, you will make it happen.

If you truly pity someone, you'll never believe they can be the best student or employee etc.

Changing that mindset will take time and effort, but would be worth it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 4:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For 2), IMO Sioux Lookout already has the shape of one, but then that will require 1) to be Dryden instead of Kenora (and yet the hospital’s at the latter). Another annoying thing with Kenora is that you have to pressure MTO into adding redundancies to the road there. Keep in mind that, right now, at the east end of K Town, there’s a short 500 m section of TCH that has 0(!) alternatives.

3) I look forward to it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada