HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 1:12 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
I don't think anybody expects free parking in or around Downtown anymore. If anything, it's over priced. The Pearl has plenty of free parking, and even the paid parking is more reasonable than Downtown.
Frankly, I think parking meters and all the bureaucracy and enforcement that goes along with them are a waste of city resources. Either have free on street parking on that block or don’t have parking at all and devote that pavement to another use (bus lanes, bike lanes, or community space) and let the private market sort out the rest.

I also think parking minimums are the government “doing too much” — let the market supply what is needed to meet demand.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 5:31 PM

Got another high density development proposed on Josephine, this one is a 9-story but it states that we won't have a name or renderings until early next year.

https://saheron.com/oxbow-east-josephine/

"The Pearl’s development company is moving forward with plans to build a 9-story mixed-use structure, which would include 250-275 market-rate apartments, on a full city block bound by East Josephine, Isleta, East Grayson and the San Antonio River. It would be the Pearl’s fifth apartment development since it completed the 293-unit Can Plant in 2012, while significantly expanding its footprint north of East Grayson".

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 6:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Fingers crossed for some non-boutique retail options, and since it's the Pearl I'm sure the design will be beautiful etc

250 apartments seems a little unambitious though considering the last he spoke of this project to the media I believe he said they were chasing a Fortune 500 office tenant!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 8:55 PM

The pearl needs a dry cleaner, bodega (larder doesn't count), and some affordable food options

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 7:01 PM

102 E Josephine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
Got another high density development proposed on Josephine, this one is a 9-story but it states that we won't have a name or renderings until early next year.

https://saheron.com/oxbow-east-josephine/

"The Pearl’s development company is moving forward with plans to build a 9-story mixed-use structure, which would include 250-275 market-rate apartments, on a full city block bound by East Josephine, Isleta, East Grayson and the San Antonio River. It would be the Pearl’s fifth apartment development since it completed the 293-unit Can Plant in 2012, while significantly expanding its footprint north of East Grayson".

Had a small update about this, I found on the HDRC agenda site that there will be a hearing on February 1st for this project, and it looks like this will now be a 10-story building (but no renderings yet unfortunately)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:35 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
The pearl needs a dry cleaner, bodega (larder doesn't count), and some affordable food options
Agreed. It needs neighborhood retail. For local people. I always say that even Southtown needs more than a subway.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
Had a small update about this, I found on the HDRC agenda site that there will be a hearing on February 1st for this project, and it looks like this will now be a 10-story building (but no renderings yet unfortunately)
Hopefully it's a little different architecturally than the CH/Jefferson buildings. Ideally I'd like to see something taller, but I'll take it. Isn't this the lot someone said they were trying to attract a F500 company to?

I agree too, that area needs a grocery store and some other things. I'm surprised TJ's/Whole Foods or even HEB haven't made a run at it yet.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 1:37 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I have high expectations for this one. The Pearl has done a lot of great stuff but it's mostly left its river front property undeveloped so far apart from Hotel Emma and the Cellars.

Also, Josephine Street is going to feel crazy different in a few years if everything proposed there recently goes through plus the stuff currently under construction across from Hawthorne.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 1:46 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Hopefully it's a little different architecturally than the CH/Jefferson buildings. Ideally I'd like to see something taller, but I'll take it. Isn't this the lot someone said they were trying to attract a F500 company to?

I agree too, that area needs a grocery store and some other things. I'm surprised TJ's/Whole Foods or even HEB haven't made a run at it yet.
I have a gut feeling the new owners of Broadway East (Fulcrum) have one of those three in mind. They've got the retail relationships to make it happen since they're the ones who built Alon Market on the north side. Of course if it was anything like Alon minus the HEB that would be a disaster since that's a strip mall lol.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I have high expectations for this one. The Pearl has done a lot of great stuff but it's mostly left its river front property undeveloped so far apart from Hotel Emma and the Cellars.

Also, Josephine Street is going to feel crazy different in a few years if everything proposed there recently goes through plus the stuff currently under construction across from Hawthorne.
Agreed the Pearl area has really become an awesome spot. I'm excited to see how it pans out in the next few years with all the development going west of the river as well.

Hopefully Broadway East pans out, seems like that developer has a good track record. I'm still salty about 1603 not happening, I was looking forward to a W hotel here lol.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 9:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Agreed the Pearl area has really become an awesome spot. I'm excited to see how it pans out in the next few years with all the development going west of the river as well.

Hopefully Broadway East pans out, seems like that developer has a good track record. I'm still salty about 1603 not happening, I was looking forward to a W hotel here lol.
I once worked on a short-term project with a woman named Pepper. For a few minutes things weren't going so well. That's when Pepper got salty.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:19 PM

Saw this in the SABJ today. Looks to be a rendering of the new proposed 9 story building by the Pearl.

Not sure how I feel about this. It isn't bad... but I'm also tired of the wide/stumpy buildings here lol.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:33 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Don McDonald is unstoppable.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:44 PM
JACKinBeantown

I like it. I wish the roofline were a little more interesting, but otherwise I think it's pretty nice. And as you would expect me to ask, does it have ground level retail? Which proposal is that?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:11 PM

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...=193546&type=2

Here is the full HDRC doc with all the details/ renderings for everybody.

But yes Jack , there is some ground floor retail shown on page 17 for you to look at

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:21 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I really don't want to see the Pearl go much higher than it already is. It would change the character of the area, which I think is unique and relaxing. I like this building.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:40 PM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:43 PM

This building will also finally give some sort of Riverwalk access to Grayson Street.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I really don't want to see the Pearl go much higher than it already is. It would change the character of the area, which I think is unique and relaxing. I like this building.
I like the architecture of it. It'll fit in nice with the others in the area (if anything almost too close of a resemblance lol). I wouldn't mind seeing something push 300 feet in that area though to break up the 10 ish story plateau that's starting for form.

Either way it's better than an old industrial building.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 10:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

Wow, that's awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio