HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt0 View Post
Hey guys – long time reader here, first time poster.

Just wanted to share this BIG development proposed in Toronto's King West. This proposal demonstrates architecture I'd love to see in Van. I think the peaks and valleys could look really cool against a backdrop of mountains, hills and water. Just imagine driving westbound on Hastings from the PNE to Railtown or on Kingsway and seeing smaller versions of this on either side as the sun sets. They aren't as offensive—to me, at least—as taller buildings in neighbourhoods that should densify but don't want to feel too urbanized (I'm thinking Arbutus corridor, around the Drive). Add a garden on every terrace and Van could compete with Singapore for whose built form looked more lush

Images were found on Globe & Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle28812865/.
More info here: http://www.big.dk/#projects-king
It looks cool but one can only begin to imagine the leakage problems with that style of terraced balcony in our wet winters.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:12 PM
A hole being Doug

Mirrored surfaces:
  1. Can look like the mandatory aquamarine glass, without being aquamarine
  2. Viewcone busting. Just set up the right series of reflections

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genauso View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^yes! as in the photos you posted ^^^^^^^^^^

Mirrored surfaces:
  1. Can look like the mandatory aquamarine glass, without being aquamarine
  2. Viewcone busting. Just set up the right series of reflections
Âbsolutely. An example of this is the reflective portion of the new Pacific Centre Howe St Side. Sears was white opaque, but now from Robson Sqre you can see reflections of tall buildings.
This might do well in parts of downtown. MNP and CIBC foot of Burrard use it. Really radiates a bright energy that complements adjacent buildings, whatever color or design.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The world's 16 best cities for design

Montreal is the only North American city that made it to the list.
Is that a joke. Montreal is the ugliest city I've ever seen. Sure the "Centreville" is nice, but the suburbs are unbelievably disgusting. Everywhere you look there are massive billboards that say "À LOUER" ontop of an abandoned brutalistic office tower, along with Walmart parking lots and falling apart highways.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
Is that a joke. Montreal is the ugliest city I've ever seen. Sure the "Centreville" is nice, but the suburbs are unbelievably disgusting. Everywhere you look there are massive billboards that say "À LOUER" ontop of an abandoned brutalistic office tower, along with Walmart parking lots and falling apart highways.
..... yeah, the North and East Island of Montreal is about as depressing as you can get.
When it comes to comparing cities for design, I rather think it's mostly about the central parts of a city, because a great many "beautiful" cities have harsh, ugly suburbs.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 4:44 AM

The newly-completeled DC Tower 1 (250 meters | 60 floors) is the tallest building in Vienna and Austria. It will be complimented by a second 40-floor tower of the same design at the opposite side to it. Pretty interesting design.

Wikipedia

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 5:10 AM

That definitely looks great.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 1:58 PM

That would be a lovely tower for Vancouver.

Outside the Altstadt, Wien has some interesting ideas that could translate well for the West Coast. The Spittelau waste incineration plant comes to mind, for example.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 5:50 PM

This one was on the front page of reddit yesterday evening. Bangkok's new tallest apparently.

http://imgur.com/gallery/vqrEK

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 6:13 PM

I hate buildings that look flimsy.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:35 AM

The new Main building of Port of Antwerpen (Belgium) by Zaha Hadid and Patrik Schumacher.

Zaha Hadid Architects

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:45 AM

Xiqu Centre theater in Hong Kong is currently under construction.

http://www.westkowloon.hk/en/the-dis...tion-progress/

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 10:43 PM

I was checking out Hawthorn, a suburb of Melbourne. Anyone know why the Melbourne region has such terrific architecture?

109 Burwood St.: a 150,000 sq. ft. 5 storey office building on a neighborhood high street, home to several major corporate headquarters.

Source

36 Lynch St. condominiums:

Source

Source

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 11:59 PM
life in the present

I was blown away by the quality of architecture and design when I was last in Melbourne. It's light-years ahead of us not just in high-rise architecture but everything down to the smallest details, we could learn lots from them.

I've heard they covet top European Architects for most major projects and have design competitions for most everything else. Even the street-level finishes are outstanding, custom doors, glazing and tons of detail, unlike most of our condos which slap on some beige paint and Kawneer doors.

New Quay and Victoria Harbour are areas much like Concord Pacific but as you can see in some snaps I took a few years ago, the attention to detail, design and materials are typically of much higher quality and will likely wear and date far better over the years.

Photos By : connect2source

Last edited by connect2source; Dec 31, 2016 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:46 PM

Cool Melbourne !!!

Wow, what snazzy designs, as you say, at the buildings themselves, to the lighting, to the street level, and all the finer points.
Here in Vancouver, there is a lot of emphasis on height and on building design, to be fair, but much less emphasis, it seems, on street furniture and lighting.
Case in point (again, excuse me) but would Alberni Street exist as it is (with the Prada telephone pole to top it all off) ... in Melbourne, Sydney, or any other major city?
The above examples are super, and outshine Vancouver in every way. We can do better, and we will, no doubt, but focussing on street level refinement would be a good place to start.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 9:45 PM
life in the present

Thanks trofirhen!

If Alberni Street were in Melbourne my guess it that it would have buried utilities for sure!!!.. plus custom sidewalks likely chosen from submissions from top civic planners and designers plus stunning modern and minimalist street furniture. I also noticed lighting to be outstanding in Melbourne, nothing standard. Along the Yarra Promenade, for example, adjacent to the Crown Resort there are torches complete with open flame.

Photo Source : http://melbournedaily.blogspot.ca

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 10:22 PM

One of the biggest reasons I want to visit Melbourne is to see the quality modern architecture. We definitely have a lot to learn from that city.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 12:18 AM

The Luftwaffe did it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
I hate buildings that look flimsy.
Ain't it the truth!! That one in Bangkok looks as if it had been the target of air raid strikes in a war.
If someone suggested that for Vancouver I'd say "Thanks ... but NO THANKS!"

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 1:50 AM

I feel like the best architecture is the architecture that isn't original. I look at buildings like the Metlife Tower, (old) Twin Towers, Pacific Central etc that aren't original and I see them as perfect examples of architecture. Then there's buildings like that building in Belgium...

And it looks like shit.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 6:56 AM

Haha, that's a repost from few months ago and I said the building looks intetesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues