HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 7:28 PM
Proud Homer!

Arch Coal Mines a Rich Seam
Wall Street Journal
By LIAM DENNING
Monday, May 2, 2011

U.S. coal's great escape continues. Arch Coal is the latest miner to dig a tunnel abroad with its $3.5 billion takeover of International Coal Group. It won't be the last.

Despite dodging comprehensive carbon cap-and-trade legislation for now, domestic miners still must look over their shoulders. U.S coal consumption in 2010 was less than in 2000. Meanwhile, the Environmental Protection Agency continues to target emissions from coal-fired power plants, and cheap natural gas presents a competitive threat.

Globally, however, coal's future looks brighter. The International Energy Agency expects steam coal consumption—used for generating power—to rise by a fifth by 2020. Meanwhile, demand for metallurgical coal, used to make steel, remains strong in emerging markets such as China.

This geographic shift is leading to "the U.S. quietly building out its coal export capacity" says David Gagliano of Credit Suisse. Last year, net exports of coal from the U.S. hit 62 million tons, or 5.7% of total production, both the highest since 1998. A number of projects under way will expand U.S. coal export capacity, such as the Asia-focused Gateway Pacific Terminal being built in Washington.

To read more go here.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 7:33 PM
Proud Homer!

Although Arch Coal, Inc. is already a Fortune 1000 firm, International Coal Group is going to add nearly $700-million in revenue to Arch Coal's 2010 revenue.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 5:41 PM

Well I learned something new. Had no idea STL had such a prominent industry in one of our natural resources.

Old Posted May 3, 2011, 7:11 PM
Proud Homer!

Arch Coal and International Coal Group

FYI

The merger of Arch Coal and International Coal Group looks as if might create another F500 in St. Louis. The combined company will look like this with each of their current numbers.

Revenue: $4.3-billion
Net Income: $189-million
Reserves: 5.5 billions tons
Coal Sales: 178 million tons
Employees: 7,400

Source

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 10:49 PM
Proud Homer!

Arch Coal Opens Singapore Subsidiary

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
with cheap and plentiful coal, any number of burgeoning industrial concerns become possible for saint louis!

from pocket-watches to spats, all manner of manufactured products can easily be forged when and where coal is abundant.
post was underrated

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
I really like the colors in this shot, btw. Want to see it off of the internet someday. This (merger) seems like it could be a positive development for st. louis, if it goes forward. Over all, it would be positive news for the midwest. I Just visited the area over christmas break, actually, and it seemed like too many areas were struggling after the recession... Miss hearing good news out of the area. You are giving us excellent updates thank you.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 12:00 AM

Arch City, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:04 AM

Coal has really done economic wonders for West Virginia.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:23 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Coal has really done economic wonders for West Virginia.
Video Link

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:54 AM
I like this much better

Can we please stop using coal?

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 6:25 AM
TL;DR

^^ I have no problem continuing to use coal so long as the industry finds safer, less environmentally-harmful ways to extract it. Strip mining is not an answer, and the traditional method of coal mining is very dangerous for miners and can often lead to subsidence on the surface many years later as the caverns collapse.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
What they do is dangerous , and they don't get paid, nor are they protected, or respected, as much as they should be.

This was off topic, so forgive me Arch.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 3:20 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ I have no problem continuing to use coal so long as the industry finds safer, less environmentally-harmful ways to extract it. Strip mining is not an answer, and the traditional method of coal mining is very dangerous for miners and can often lead to subsidence on the surface many years later as the caverns collapse.
Extraction is generally bad, and so is burning it.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 3:26 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
The next few decades will be a battle between natural gas and coal.
Heh, Pennsylvania wins regardless.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
What they do is dangerous , and they don't get paid, nor are they protected, or respected, as much as they should be.
I don't respect, much less feel sorry for, any industry (or its workers) which uses 1750s technology for its own profit, and to the detriment of everyone.

Other than that, coal is great. Just ask West Virginians how it's made their state wealthy, educated, and healthy beyond imagination.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I don't respect, much less feel sorry for, any industry (or its workers) which uses 1750s technology for its own profit, and to the detriment of everyone.

Other than that, coal is great. Just ask West Virginians how it's made their state wealthy, educated, and healthy beyond imagination.
Oh really, you see the workers who work for that industry as equal with those who run it? I've worked blue collar before, and that is below and beyond what I agree with. That's such a blinded perspective of the reality. They're absolutely not on par with their leaders. Small towns, and big cities with bad economies, aren't the same as major cities with striving economies. There are reasons small towners in resource rich areas work in places like this.

It's desperation, versus greed. It's not the simple perspective you've been influenced to believe. Don't try and perpetuate that here, until we really know what's going on.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Oh really, you see the workers who work for that industry as equal with those who run it? I've worked blue collar before, and that is below and beyond what I agree with. That's such a blinded perspective of the reality. They're absolutely not on par with their leaders. Small towns, and big cities with bad economies, aren't the same as major cities with striving economies. There are reasons small towners in resource rich areas work in places like this.

It's desperation, versus greed. It's not the simple perspective you've been influenced to believe. Don't try and perpetuate that here, until we really know what's going on.
Who is suggesting that workers are "equal" or "on par" with the industry leaders? I'm not. I just said that I do not respect or feel sorry for them.

I fully understand the reasons "small towners" work in the coal mines. You know, because I've "worked blue collar before" too (jeez, what a load of crap). The coal industry, especially in a state like West Virginia, is a generational ignorance breeder.

And your last point (in bold)... what?

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
Proud Homer!

^First I want to say that I advocate for the safest ways possible to mine coal. I am rooting for clean coal technology. And I am for making sure corporations follow laws and guidelines to ensure that miner's health and safety are properly cared for.

With that said, as Xing suggested there is a big difference between the corporate big wigs who sit is office towers and the actual workers who do the work to make these big corporations grow and prosper. I understand Xing's point and I understand your point as well, but they are separate points of contention. While I won't pretend to know a lot about West Virginia, the state apparently has not done a whole lot to diversify its economy if its biggest or main industry is coal. In essence however, coal (or the coal industry) in and of itself should not be the blame for W.V. social problems - like the beer industry is not to blame for St. Louis social problems.

Ultimately, the purpose of this thread was to tout the corporate presence of numerous large energy (i.e. coal) firms based in St. Louis. Further, it's not like coal is being mined in St. Louis - although it is mined in downstate Illinois, which is very close. The "suits" are in St. Louis with the "hard hats" in the distance.

Nonetheless, coal may have a bad rap, but so does foreign oil these days. As I see it, at least coal is an abundant domestic resource, and I am glad St. Louis is a prime corporate center for it. If St. Louis corporations do right by their employees, work harder towards cleaner coal solutions, I am all for it.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 1:20 AM

^ Yeah, I understand all the points made... I may not agree with them, but I understand what both of you are trying to say. However, advocating for increased domestic coal production is a difficult position to defend... especially considering the history and effects of the coal industry in the Appalachian US, West Virginia in particular. A two hundred year old, deeply-ingrained industrial system based on the lowest form of economic development, that being natural resource extraction, has very much to do with a state's social problems.

Last edited by pj3000; May 27, 2011 at 5:28 AM. Reason: had to check myself; sounded arrogant; didn't like my tone

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest