HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Ok, so they widened the I-25 bridge, but didn't change the configuration of the bridge below, got it. Still seems silly they didn't just take care of that issue when they did TREX.
Well the improvements they made did help at the time. I can recall driving east on Arapahoe Road and you got to pick which side of the pillars you wanted to drive on, LOL. Partly, south of Orchard wasn't built out as much on the west side and on the east side it was lower density and mostly residential except along the freeway. I lived off Orchard Road for a number of years south of Cherry Creek HS.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 6:59 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
(watch the Boulder NIMBYs' heads explode on that one... one lady recently said at a public meeting that the 5-story buildings at Boulder Junction make her cry when she looks at them).
Boulder is like the west highlands.

I met 3 city council members on Election Day last year and told them how important I think it is that boulder encouraged density.

One of them laughed in my face (seriously)

The second one ignored me

The third council member did listen to me and hear me out......

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:33 PM

The politics in Boulder are actually far from as clear-cut as I once thought. As an open minded, college-town environment, there are actually quite a few new urbanist type thinkers in town - and the development community and landowners are practically foaming at the mouth to build more density in many places. But, as in most places, the YIMBY's rarely show up to public meetings or speak their minds passionately on the issue. The opposition, on the other hand, lead by the group PLAN Boulder is extremely vocal and has essentially controlled planning policy in Boulder dating back to the greenbelt of the 70s (back when that was actually an extremely progressive idea).

Control of council, as best as I can tell, sorta goes back and forth between people of differing mindsets. The area of town around the 29th street mall (officially called the "Boulder Valley Regional Center") and the Boulder Junction area are actually zoned for higher densities than downtown Boulder in the long term. These area land use plans and zoning codes were pushed through by previous councils at points in time when more of the pro-density people were around. Boulder Junction, in particular, was a major loss for the PLAN Boulder folks, and now that they see it getting built they are PISSED. They would like to stop it retroactively, but council is pretty clear at the moment that they aren't going to revisit that area, as the area plan is less than 10 years old and was passed with plenty of public process.

I can't entirely tell what the current balance is, they have good poker faces, but they seem to be fairly reasonable as a whole at the time being (an all-out moratorium on development was loudly shot down by most of the council last fall, and the council member who brought it up chastised for the message it would send the business community).

Last edited by mr1138; Feb 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:09 PM

Well this is rather bold.

City of Phoenix is getting ready to to ask for a $30.5 billion sales tax increase in August primarily for the purpose of building light rail but it would include other transportation needs like streetscaping. Voters will be asked to approve a 0.73 cent sales tax that would run until 2050. Actually it's only a 0.33 cent increase as 0.40 is already being collected but would be extended from 2020 til 2050.

If you prorate for the difference in population size (43%) that would be equivalent to $13 billion for Denver. Of course Denver is already paying a 0.40 cent tax for Fastracks so if you just add 0.33 cents that might be closer to $10 billion. So what would Denver do with $10 billion?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:37 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Well this is rather bold.

City of Phoenix is getting ready to to ask for a $30.5 billion sales tax increase in August primarily for the purpose of building light rail but it would include other transportation needs like streetscaping. Voters will be asked to approve a 0.73 cent sales tax that would run until 2050. Actually it's only a 0.33 cent increase as 0.40 is already being collected but would be extended from 2020 til 2050.

If you prorate for the difference in population size (43%) that would be equivalent to $13 billion for Denver. Of course Denver is already paying a 0.40 cent tax for Fastracks so if you just add 0.33 cents that might be closer to $10 billion. So what would Denver do with $10 billion?
It would probably be enough to build out:

Denver Moves - Bikes
Denver Moves - Pedestrians (whatever is ultimately recommended)
Denver Moves - Transit (whatever is ultimately recommended)

- plus have money left over to pave most streets and streetscape many more.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:17 AM
Denver

TakeFive, I always enjoy your posts on this forum, but I am wondering why you take such an interest in Denver if you live in phoenix?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
TakeFive, I always enjoy your posts on this forum, but I am wondering why you take such an interest in Denver if you live in phoenix?
While my son is in Phoenix, my heart is in Denver. Lived in Denver/metro over 30 years.

Old Posted Today, 1:58 AM
Denver

A (Baby) Step In The Right Direction

I-70 Snow Tires law clears first hurdle

http://www.9news.com/story/news/poli...medium=twitter

"Accident data obtained from CDOT shows passenger vehicle accidents now make up a larger share of closure time on I-70 in the winter than commercial vehicle accidents."

See, Seventwenty, I told you this would help in the winter months

Old Posted Today, 2:05 AM
Tells Cirrus what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
I-70 Snow Tires law clears first hurdle

http://www.9news.com/story/news/poli...medium=twitter

"Accident data obtained from CDOT shows passenger vehicle accidents now make up a larger share of closure time on I-70 in the winter than commercial vehicle accidents."

See, Seventwenty, I told you this would help in the winter months

Great, but even with the impending law, I'm still skeptical about significantly reducing transportation delays. Days like today are just a mess even without accidents. Snow plus weekend ski traffic means I-70's screwed no matter how much tread people have on their tires. Still I support the bill on public safety grounds.

Old Posted Today, 2:23 AM
Ground Scraper

How exactly will this be enforced?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West