HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:49 PM

Love all the pics Chad!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:08 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow, very happy with the positive response! Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
Love the Photos as usual Chadillaccc! Would love to see
maybe some more with Calgary having overcast skies?
Haha well some of my shots of Inglewood were partly cloudy! It's been overcast this week, and cold as shit as I'm sure you know But not the kinda weather to be out taking pics in. I took all those on Monday when it was a really wicked nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I haven't checked in on this thread for a long time, and I'm so happy I did. I'd really love to visit Calgary one day, it just looks like such a nice city, especially in the city.

Also, recalling lots of threads from the early 2000's, Calgary REALLY seems to have intensified and have found itself lately. It looks very alive and happening.
I'm glad you did too! Ever since I got back from my trip to Ontario, I've been in constant picture-taking mode

It has intensified quite well actually. The downtown is busy into the late evening on weekdays now, rather than just the former 9 - 5 dynamic it had, and there are a lot of initiatives to make things even better. By 2020, we are likely to have a population in excess of 50 000 in the downtown area. I've noticed a difference in the liveliness of the city just since I moved here 2.5 years ago. Thousands of people have moved downtown in the past ten years or so, with more projects proposed/UC than ever before. It still has a long way to go, but it's not bad for a city of 1.4 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Very impressed with the China Town would not have guessed Calgary would have ladies selling vegetables on the sidewalk! I wish San Diego had stuff like that. Did you buy anything from them? The infill is looking very impressive there starting to get really chunky. The streets seem lively and walkable. Is there a general feeling of optimism in Calgary, young people getting good jobs etc?

Is there a big mix of people moving in to the urban core infill developments? Great bike bath as well with the sunsetting its gorgeous
Thanks Mello. Calgary's Chinatown is the 4th largest in Canada, while our Chinese-born population is 3rd largest. Yeah, I think they go out to sell on nicer weekday mornings... those photos were taken on a Tuesday morning. I didn't buy anything from them unfortunately, I was already late to work taking pics My coworker didn't mind though haha.

Calgary's a very optimistic city. Many outside the city find the attitude to be cocky or boastful, which it can be of course. To answer your question, yes, Calgary has one of the lowest unemployment rates among major cities on the continent. Young people move from across the country to work here... my partner and I are transplants as well, actually. The majority of our friends here come from our home province (Ontario) too, but we met them out here.

The mix between urban intensification and suburban sprawl is about 33% intensification and 67% greenfield. With the type of population growth we're seeing (~40 000/ year) that is a pretty good dynamic.

Edit: sorry if that sounds overly boastful. Just trying to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onanewday View Post
Love all the pics Chad!
Thanks man

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Bowmont Natural Environment Park - Silver Springs, Calgary

Boardwalk Coulee by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Colin by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Entering the River by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

High as a Motherfucker by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Ye Olde Path of Death by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

From the Top by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Bow Beach by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Tredging by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

River Swim by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Jagged by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:11 AM
ARTchitecture

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:29 AM

Nice pics of Bowmont. It is such an overlooked part of the city. Is any of the work restoring the Fournier and Klippert Gravel properties as additions to the park complete? Calgary would be paradise if the summers were longer - these pics make me homesick.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:34 AM
ARTchitecture

I don't know man. Don't know what Fournier and Klippert gravel properties are. Regardless, it is an amazing park. I couldn't believe I had never been or heard of it before. Everyone in the city should know about this!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't know man. Don't know what Fournier and Klippert gravel properties are. Regardless, it is an amazing park. I couldn't believe I had never been or heard of it before. Everyone in the city should know about this!
Klippert is the old gravel operation you can see off Home Road. The City bought it years ago with plans to restore and expand the park. Fournier is at the other end by the entrance from Nose Hill Drive. It used to be a private residence.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 2:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Klippert is the old gravel operation you can see off Home Road. The City bought it years ago with plans to restore and expand the park. Fournier is at the other end by the entrance from Nose Hill Drive. It used to be a private residence.
Oh okay, interesting. I didn't notice either of those things, so perhaps they did expand the park while they were doing the flood repairs earlier this year?

Also, here's a pic of the skyline from right in the centre of it

Central by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Aug 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 3:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Once visited this stadium!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 10:46 PM

Time to actually post a bit in the thread I started...

DSC_2989 by eibbor7, on Flickr

The windows in my condo were finally cleaned, so I was able to get this photo and really give it the working over it deserved.

DSC_2807 by eibbor7, on Flickr

I haven't had too many chances to just walk around and snap some photos. But, I just had to have some fun with my new 50mm f/1.8. It's great for getting the subject just a bit closer on the street.

DSC_2795 by eibbor7, on Flickr

DSC_2801 by eibbor7, on Flickr

DSC_2806 by eibbor7, on Flickr

DSC_2812 by eibbor7, on Flickr

DSC_2963 by eibbor7, on Flickr

The guy on the radio appears to have noticed me.

DSC_2971 by eibbor7, on Flickr

DSC_2982 by eibbor7, on Flickr

DSC_2929 by eibbor7, on Flickr

Just throwing this in. Grotto Canyon... about an hour away from Calgary. Not urban at all, I just like the photo

Also: Anyone know why the captions are all to the left of the photo? I'm just pasting in the stuff Flickr generates, but that looks awful...

Edit: Chad! You got a new camera!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:31 PM

Nice photos Floobie, Chad!

I've never actually been top Bowmont park, but it looks great.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:24 PM

I forgot to ask Chad, where that boardwalk path is located? I'd like to check it out sometime.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Also: Anyone know why the captions are all to the left of the photo? I'm just pasting in the stuff Flickr generates, but that looks awful...

Chad! You got a new camera!
You have to downspace them yourself now. It sucks but Flickr really fucked the dog on their latest "upgrade" so yeah.

Thanks, I did get a new one! Just a Nikon 1 J1, works really well though. Can't wait to get additional lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I forgot to ask Chad, where that boardwalk path is located? I'd like to check it out sometime.
We parked where are the cars are parked in the upper right, and the boardwalk is in the coulee in the centre

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.10060.../data=!3m1!1e3

It is a really great hike, check it out this weekend. The weather is supposed to be awesome!

Also, here are some shots I snapped of the RiverWalk. It is quite the city amenity. Can't wait for the next phases!

Chillin by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Lovers by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Dancin up a Storm by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Langevin by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

ArtWalk by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Stroll Bridge by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

The other side by Chadillaccc, on Flickr
Busy RiverWalk by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

RiverWalk Evening by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Centre street Bridge by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:08 PM
not a NIMBY

The Nikon was a good choice! Nice shots Chad.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 6:11 PM
ARTchitecture

Thanks Lots more to come!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Market Collective yesterday in the East Village.

It is in our hands by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Market Collective by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Collective Concert by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Collective Bridge by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Market Collective by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Collective Fresh by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 9:22 PM
ARTchitecture

Guardians by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:48 PM
ARTchitecture

Peace Skyline by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Bow East by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Quiant by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

North River by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:27 PM
Editor

Nice pics guys! I like those shots of the east Riverwalk Chad. Every-time I go by there there, it's busy with people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos