HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 8:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
Live out of state, so I haven't found much online about this.

What is in the old Earl May building at Carrolton and Bienville in Mid City?
I don't know what that is!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 10:45 PM

Are you referring to the office building there? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are referring to either.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 2:12 PM

Earl May

When I left New Orleans, it was an Earl May nursery. It was on the river side of Carrolton.

I went back for a visit in the late 90s, and there was a Shoney's restaurant in it.

I always thought it was an interesting old building and could be made into retail, offices, and possibly apts.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 7:40 PM
TL;DR

Now Mid-City Center. Law offices on the second floor, Little Tokyo restaurant on the ground floor.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 7:51 PM
life is good

It is a handsome building, for sure.

Wasn't the Mid City branch of the library in that building for a years post K also?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 2:58 PM

WTC Redevelopment Proposals

Just summarizing the proposals. Selection committee to meet Monday (Dec.15) to discuss proposals and make a short list.

Quote:
All of the proposals now up for consideration present a plan for a hotel or a combined hotel and apartments.

The developers and their proposals are:

The Berger Co., MCC Real Estate and Ogden Development: a 300-room Conrad Hotel by Hilton and 225 Conrad Residences apartments.

Carpenter & Co. Inc. and Woodward Interests LLC: a 350-room Four Seasons Hotel New Orleans and 40 apartments.

Columbia Sussex: a 400-room hotel.

Gatehouse Capital and Provident Realty: a 245-room hotel and 280 rental units.

Geller Investment Co.: a 220- to 250-room hotel targeting the 45-and-under demographic, plus apartments.

Hixon Developments: a Hard Rock Hotel, apartments and residential lease-purchase units.

HRI Properties: a 252-room Andaz Hotel by Hyatt and 295 luxury apartments.

ITM Development: a 684-room hotel and residences.

Oxford Capital LLC: a 516-room Godfrey Hotel and 166 luxury apartments.

Woodbine Development Corp., Monday Properties and Valencia Hotel Group: a 318-room Hotel Alessandra New Orleans, 240 luxury apartments and a jazz lounge.
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...mittee-to-pick

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 4:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Just summarizing the proposals. Selection committee to meet Monday (Dec.15) to discuss proposals and make a short list.

My shortlist would be in no particular order:

Carpenter & Co. Inc. and Woodward Interests LLC: a 350-room Four Seasons Hotel New Orleans and 40 apartments.

HRI Properties: a 252-room Andaz Hotel by Hyatt and 295 luxury apartments.

The Berger Co., MCC Real Estate and Ogden Development: a 300-room Conrad Hotel by Hilton and 225 Conrad Residences apartments.

Oxford Capital(depends on details on their plan) they do some interesting stuff in Chicago and some not interesting stuff.

Iberville Phase 1 and 2 Under Construction:

The Paramount Apartments and Courtyard:

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 8:49 PM
TL;DR

Oxford Capital's stuff in Chicago is really cool, but they're competing in a congested market where they need to spend money on design and flair to draw guests. Chicago also has a deep bench of talented design firms. They are using Goettsch to design 360 N. Michigan, Lohan Anderson to design the Langham, etc.

I don't know if they will see New Orleans the same way - like it or not, many/most tourists come here to get the "old New Orleans" feel and for a few decades all hotels were built with that traditional feel, which usually turned out super-cheesy.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 9:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oxford Capital's stuff in Chicago is really cool, but they're competing in a congested market where they need to spend money on design and flair to draw guests. Chicago also has a deep bench of talented design firms. They are using Goettsch to design 360 N. Michigan, Lohan Anderson to design the Langham, etc.

I don't know if they will see New Orleans the same way - like it or not, many/most tourists come here to get the "old New Orleans" feel and for a few decades all hotels were built with that traditional feel, which usually turned out super-cheesy.
That definitely was the case for awhile but not anymore. I cant see anyone winning this with some cheesey New Orleans style thing. Plus travelers have changed their preferences. I expect something nice here.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:34 PM
life is good

Great pics Tennis. Paramount looks great from that aerial shot. That pool is gonna be sick, too. Nice amenity

Shame that City Hall moving in to Charity is still a no go
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...to_revisi.html

Last edited by Eightball; Dec 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 4:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Great pics Tennis. Paramount looks great from that aerial shot. That pool is gonna be sick, too. Nice amenity

Shame that City Hall moving in to Charity is still a no go
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...to_revisi.html
Its just too massive of an undertaking for the city at this point. Hopefully something creative does happen with it though

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:

They picked 5 proposals for the next round:
Four Seasons (Carpenter, Woodward)
Conrad (Berger, Jaeger, Ogden)
Godfrey (Oxford)
Andaz (HRI)
Alessandra (Valencia, Woodbine, Monday)

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ncart_breaking

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
They picked 5 proposals for the next round:
Four Seasons (Carpenter, Woodward)
Conrad (Berger, Jaeger, Ogden)
Godfrey (Oxford)
Andaz (HRI)
Alessandra (Valencia, Woodbine, Monday)

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ncart_breaking
Tennis picked 4 out of 4. Not too shabby. Personally, I was leaning toward anything with a named hotel and an estimate of apts. Only about 5 met that criteria.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 9:57 PM
-

Quote:
Tennis picked 4 out of 4. Not too shabby. Personally, I was leaning toward anything with a named hotel and an estimate of apts. Only about 5 met that criteria.
Literally the only reason I didn't pick that fifth one is that I stayed in a Valencia in San Jose California. It was an ok hotel but certainly didn't come across as the type of thing to be a real game changer for the city. But still not surprised they were included. Hard Rock or the W would have surprised me.

Andaz and Four Seasons are definitely my favorite hotels on that list. Andaz trending a bit of a younger demographic. Also, having lots of Hyatt Properties in the city will help with this hotel since its their brand. This building would probably become Andazs biggest property.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:08 AM

District Hand Pie & Coffee Shop Opens This Week

Didn't know how to link instagram pics, but they are serious!! These pies put those things at Bud's Broiler to shame. P's&Q's are in the next block; so I hope everything works out for both of them.
http://instagram.com/districtpies/

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...and_pie_c.html

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:32 AM
life is good

^^^ That place looks amazing! Definitely trying it when I'm in town for Mardi Gras.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 9:05 AM

Paramount is even more of a "Texas Donut"/"Houston Wrap" than I realized. It's a much welcome addition, but I'd love to see the type of developments that projects like these are built to mimic. Maybe it's just not feasible.

Oh well, I can't wait until that entire area is developed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:20 PM
TL;DR

The true Texas Donut has a parking garage in the center and little or no retail. Paramount shares some things in common with those developments but there's no on-site parking and there is retail occupying the entire ground floor. It's definitely a more mixed use urban concept.

Much of the Texas-style architecture comes from the wood-frame structure and veneer brick, which probably helped keep costs down. This is the first new ground-up residential building in NOLA in decades, Domain had to keep costs low and minimize their risk. Looks like they will be a little more daring with Beacon - appears to be concrete frame.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:33 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The true Texas Donut has a parking garage in the center and little or no retail. Paramount shares some things in common with those developments but there's no on-site parking and there is retail occupying the entire ground floor. It's definitely a more mixed use urban concept.

Much of the Texas-style architecture comes from the wood-frame structure and veneer brick, which probably helped keep costs down. This is the first new ground-up residential building in NOLA in decades, Domain had to keep costs low and minimize their risk. Looks like they will be a little more daring with Beacon - appears to be concrete frame.
Saulet (although I guess that is over a decade old by now), 930 Poydras (yes, a tower, not a midrise), all the Domain co new construction in Mid City (and construction by other companies) etc?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Saulet (although I guess that is over a decade old by now), 930 Poydras (yes, a tower, not a midrise), all the Domain co new construction in Mid City (and construction by other companies) etc?
Yeah, Crescent Club, Preserve, Meridian, Marquis, etc. all share that same basic design minus the offsite parking and retail. Actually, Saulet does have limited retail options with room for more now that I think about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations