HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:57 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Building gondola rides all around downtown and campus would be cool.

Gonolas! Lol. Now that is thinking outside the box, and I love it! =)

That would be very fun. And I can't imagine cable cars are too expensive.

On the subway talk... never going to happen. Nice to discuss but way to unrealistic. Large projects like that are a thing of the past. In today's world, they just don't exist anymore, unless it is a HWY. And even for HWYs after the Big Dig, I can't imagine anyone wanting to try that again anytime soon. I really think the Big Dig ruined any chances for large mega billion dollar infrastructure projects for quite a while. What I would like to see is an elevated rail. To me that is far more realistic and practical.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Wrong. Doing a tunnel here would be significantly more expensive due to our limestone foundation.
Manhattan is a slab of mostly solid granite. I think they could handle digging a tunnel just below street level here in Austin without the engineers breaking a sweat. I am not talking about a deep tunnel dig, just the basic old fashioned below street subway like you find in NY, Chicago, or Boston. I don't know where this urban legend originated about limestone being all that problematic for a street dig.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/eng...al/tunnel4.htm

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 9:38 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
IIn terms of cost per mile, I suspect that doing a basic cut and cover light rail tunnel on a street like Guadalupe (or even Congress Ave) would be a lot less complicated and expensive than building a state of the art heavy rail line down Wilshire Blvd. in LA or Second Ave. in NYC. I suspect whatever they are doing in Seattle is likely more complicated than what I envision for Austin. I know it would not be cheap, but I bet it could be done for less than the figures you are suggesting.
I have been posting real numbers, not imaginary numbers from someone who doesn't have the slightest idea how much tunnels costs.
While it is true "cut and cover" can be cheaper than "deep boring", DART discovered the opposite was true under North Central Expressway. "Cut and cover" expense really depends on what utilities are under that city street. The more utilities there are, the more expensive it gets. Some city streets have far less utilities than others in a downtown district. But generally, downtown streets have far more utilities than streets in residential areas.
Why do most Austin advocates always prefer Guadalupe Street as the preferred corridor, whether at grade, below grade, or above grade? Light rail lines draw passengers from 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from its stations. The rail line can be built within a few blocks of Guadalupe and still service residences and businesses on Guadalupe. The same is true for using Congress Street in downtown Austin too.
I noticed you recommend the possibility of using a public park for the light rail right-of-way, which shows me that you acknowledge what I wrote in the previous paragraph. But, public park land are the hardest, most fought over land for right-of-ways rail lines can go after. Immediately think a decade delay over lawsuits over them. If you really want to build a rail system sooner rather than later, forget using park lands. There have been freeways nixed because of fights over park lands.
The easiest and cheapest lands to acquire for light rail are pre-existing rail corridors - hopefully poorly utilized or abandoned today, city streets, within highway corridors right-of-ways, and other publicly owned land (but not parks).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post

No decision has been made on the route for Phase II; but it's more reasonable to assert that Nueces would be the facility since it's the road being used in Phase I.

(In reference to Rio Grande Bike Boulevard)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
(In reference to Rio Grande Bike Boulevard)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
SecretAgentMan, you're a real piece of work - using a quote from me which was from BEFORE the Bike Blvd controversy caused the city to cave and move most of "phase one" to Rio Grande, presumably to make me look bad.

Folks, this site deserves better than this anonymous liar-for-hire.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:24 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
SecretAgentMan, you're a real piece of work - using a quote from me which was from BEFORE the Bike Blvd controversy caused the city to cave and move most of "phase one" to Rio Grande, presumably to make me look bad.

Folks, this site deserves better than this anonymous liar-for-hire.
You are just as bad. Calling him an anonymous liar-for-hire is an ad hominem attack and I, for one, think you should retract that or be banned.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:13 AM

Viva le M1EK!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think M1EK has been up front and to the point about the realities of mass transportation in Austin and while I don't always agree with some of his posts, the fact is he knows very well the politics behind this city's mass transportation system and has giving us some very good information and points that we don't always consider.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:52 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think M1EK has been up front and to the point about the realities of mass transportation in Austin and while I don't always agree with some of his posts, the fact is he knows very well the politics behind this city's mass transportation system and has giving us some very good information and points that we don't always consider.
I definitely agree with you, but he's rude.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I definitely agree with you, but he's rude.
You're right. He his definitely rude (and extremely arrogant). But he makes valid points. If he would only learn a better communication style, more people in Austin would be swayed to his point of view.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 10:18 PM

I am rude only to those that deserve it - SAM and I have a long history; he's maintained anonymity while attacking and undermining my credibility, while I have made no secret of who I am and what my background is.

I said "liar for hire" because I believe SAM is one of the many transportation consultants who makes far too much money off the never-ending planning cycle here without producing any actual results - if not even an actual Capital Metro or COA employee himself. He is a paid PR guy in some capacity.

Last edited by M1EK; Apr 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:56 AM

Quote:
I am rude only to those that deserve it - SAM and I have a long history; he's maintained anonymity while attacking and undermining my credibility, while I have made no secret of who I am and what my background is.

I said "liar for hire" because I believe SAM is one of the many transportation consultants who makes far too much money off the never-ending planning cycle here without producing any actual results - if not even an actual Capital Metro or COA employee himself. He is a paid PR guy in some capacity.
That may be the case, but don't do it in such a rude way.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:39 PM
~Hook'em~

One person killed in North Austin Capital MetroRail train wreck
Digital Texas
April 30, 2012 By John Hambrick

Quote:
A 32-year-old man is dead and his two children were injured after a Capital MetroRail train slammed into a car Monday morning. The driver died on the scene and the children were transported to Dell Children’s Medical Center.

The wreck happened at around 7:30 a.m. at the intersection of Oak Creek Drive and MetroRail train tracks on the west side of Mopac. The nearest train station is Howard Lane. The car’s driver apparently pulled in front of the southbound MetroRail train and what is called an private crossing.

Passengers report hearing the train’s horn sound and then it started to deaccelerate. But the train couldn’t stop in time and it made impact with the driver’s door.

There were 128 riders on board the train at the time of the collision, but no one was hurt. The paramedics that first arrived on the scene tried to revive the driver, but it was too late.

CapMetro brought in six buses and moved the train passengers out of the area. MetroRail service is operational, but schedules have been delayed.

http://digitaltexan.net/2012/austin-...9#.T5750qtYvng

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:06 AM

I'm not surprised about the accident and the unfortunate fatality. I am surprised that there were 128 people on board the train though.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:02 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm not surprised about the accident and the unfortunate fatality. I am surprised that there were 128 people on board the train though.
Im not surprised about the accident, but I am not surprised about the amount of people either. The trains get filled up during the rush hours nowadays. Im still not happy with the Red Line but Its better now than if there were only 50 or less people on it.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; May 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:59 PM

I actually had a reporter call me for a reaction to this story and really didn't want to go on the record, but this is kind of a foreseeable consequence of building this thing on the cheap. Had we done a more substantial project which required new track, it's doubtful we would have left these private crossings alone (with no protection for people crossing).

Those who say they just blame drivers for not doing the right thing are being foolish. Drivers will always do wrong things at intersections which either don't discourage the wrong thing or even encourage it (51st/Airport).

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:06 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
The wreck happened at around 7:30 a.m. at the intersection of Oak Creek Drive and MetroRail train tracks on the west side of Mopac. The nearest train station is Howard Lane. The car’s driver apparently pulled in front of the southbound MetroRail train and what is called an private crossing.
Oak Creek Drive is not a private road. The railroad crossing at Oak Creek Drive has gates, flashing lights, and bells. The reporter reported false information, either the specific location of the accident or its classification as a private crossing. If it were Oak Creek Drive, either the driver ran around the gates or the installed traffic controls didn't work. It'll be interesting to read the follow up stories about this accident, which I'm certain the NTSB will investigate.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:11 AM
~Hook'em~

The reporter defiantly had it wrong when they said it was Oak Creek Drive. There is a storage facility at Oak Creek Drive and Mopac. Oak Creek is the south side of that storage thingy, with the east part on the Mopac access road and on the north side of the storage thingy is the private road.

Here is where it was on Google maps... http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=30...2,290.4,,0,6.9

Hopefully I linked that right. At least that is where I think it was. That is where the AAS showed it.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 4:14 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
The reporter defiantly had it wrong when they said it was Oak Creek Drive. There is a storage facility at Oak Creek Drive and Mopac. Oak Creek is the south side of that storage thingy, with the east part on the Mopac access road and on the north side of the storage thingy is the private road.
Hopefully I linked that right. At least that is where I think it was. That is where the AAS showed it.
There's that private crossing and apparently another just slightly north of it too.
This railroad line has freight trains on it, and the train involved could have been a freight train just as easily. DART doesn't necessarily provide signals at private crossings, so it's wrong to assume if CapMetro had built a light rail line they would have.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
There's that private crossing and apparently another just slightly north of it too.
This railroad line has freight trains on it, and the train involved could have been a freight train just as easily. DART doesn't necessarily provide signals at private crossings, so it's wrong to assume if CapMetro had built a light rail line they would have.
I said doubtful - not positive, but the frequency of light rail and the lesser noise, along with the necessity to rebuild all these crossings anyways (the whole thing would've been rebuilt with double track and caternary) would have made it obvious to put up gates at the same time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin