HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Yukyuks closed
I saw their Facebook post about it. It’s one of the only comedy clubs around and it will be missed!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I saw their Facebook post about it. It’s one of the only comedy clubs around and it will be missed!
Yukyuks Moncton had closed a while ago.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The positive thing is there are still comedy shows Uptown. They're just hosted at places at the bars. May not be as good quality, but there's still options, just have to dig around more to find the shows unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I heard there will be a soft opening very shortly
The reno is complete and the Days Inn has its first guests currently staying there - those working on the Irving Shutdown project.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
The reno is complete and the Days Inn has its first guests currently staying there - those working on the Irving Shutdown project.
I wonder if anyone will get some pics of the new look?

The ones at CBC News website are a bit small.

=P

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 2:43 AM

The National Bank on King Street is undergoing renovations to its interior/exterior. This is a sketch of what the new exterior will look like. IMO this renovations looks much better

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
The National Bank on King Street is undergoing renovations to its interior/exterior. This is a sketch of what the new exterior will look like. IMO this renovations looks much better
It does look good but you do know that some people will take offence to the renovations just for the purpose of taking offence.

I'd like to see that entire block see some well needed renovations.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:03 PM

Paving is underway at the Hilyard Petro Canada. The new canopy looked pretty well complete from what glances I was able to steal while driving by, and cladding is going onto the store building. No pumps installed just yet but I imagine they'll follow fairly soon after the asphalt is finished.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:16 PM

There is a good article on CBC on the new Days Inn on City Road, with pictures and video.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...john-1.4883606

Last edited by SaintJohner2; Nov 5, 2018 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 12:29 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Below is the latest market report from the Saint John Real Estate Board. TL;DR - the local housing market continues to show signs of strength as of the end of October, with housing sales continuing near their high mark in 2017, and active listings on the market down almost 20% from this time last year, resulting in a 5% increase in YTD average sale values.

Quote:
Saint John home sales hit 11-year high for October

Residential sales activity reported through the MLS® System of the Saint John Real Estate Board numbered 199 units in October 2018. This was an increase of 11.2% from October 2017.

On a year-to-date basis, home sales totalled 1,797 units over the first 10 months of the year. This edged down 2.3% from the same period in 2017 but stood above all other years going back to 2008.

“Home sales continue to run near decade-highs, while the number of months of inventory is sitting at a decade-low,” said Sherry Sheldrick, President of the Saint John Real Estate Board. “That combination has put the average home price in the region on track for a gain of about 5% in 2018.”

The average price of homes sold in October 2018 was $166,766, edging down 1.1% from October 2017; however, the more comprehensive and less volatile year-to-date average price was $186,250, up 5% from the first 10 months of 2017.

There were 283 new residential listings in October 2018. This was down 9% on a year-over-year basis.

Active residential listings numbered 1,461 units at the end of October, down19.3% from the end of October 2017 and the lowest reading for this time of the year since 2008.

Months of inventory numbered 7.3 at the end of October 2018, down from the 10.1 months recorded at the end of October 2017 and below the 10-year average of 11.8 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.

The total dollar value of all home sales in October 2018 was $33.2 million, rising 10% from the same month in 2017. This was a new record for the month.

Sales of all property types in Saint John numbered 222 units in October 2018, up 6.7% (14 sales) from October 2017. The total value of all properties sold was $35.2 million, rising 13.2% from October 2017.
Source

I'm eagerly awaiting this year's release of primary rental market data from the CMHC. 2016 to 2017 saw a sharp decrease in private apartment vacancy rates and a steady increase in average rents. Having been monitoring apartment listings closely this year (we recently moved from one Central Peninsula apartment to another), I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue. Well-located, reasonably priced, decent quality apartments are increasingly hard to come by and I'm hoping that developers and other housing providers will be ready to respond with more supply soon.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Paving is underway at the Hilyard Petro Canada. The new canopy looked pretty well complete from what glances I was able to steal while driving by, and cladding is going onto the store building. No pumps installed just yet but I imagine they'll follow fairly soon after the asphalt is finished.
Looks good. A little faster than the East side project on Bayside Dr. That said the scope of work may be different. Either way will be nice to have both complete.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 7:34 PM

Charlotte-Union

The cladding and windows have been installed on the infill portion of the heritage restoration & infill project at the corner of Charlotte & Union. Will be a great addition to that streetscape.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 10:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
The cladding and windows have been installed on the infill portion of the heritage restoration & infill project at the corner of Charlotte & Union. Will be a great addition to that streetscape.

Image courtesy of http://urbanplans.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:17 AM

I love that the developer saved one of my favourite buildings in the city from becoming an empty lot, AND created in-fill on the adjacent vacant lot (both huge wins for the neighbourhood), but the exterior materials on both the addition and the street facade of the old building are really below my expectations and undercut the potential of the whole project tin my opinion.

I know Saint John doesn’t have a lot of precedent for new urban developments, but we need to start setting higher standards and nuance in design for ourselves than simply saying “Yes or No” on everything.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:51 AM

New coast guard facility

I just read that Fed/Prov governments are providing $9 million in funding for a new coast guard facility. It’s great news, obviously, but the news release left out the when and the where... frustrating... anyone have any details? They listed, in great detail, the sizes of the offices, multipurpose areas, hangar, etc. But it left me wondering where this thing is!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
I just read that Fed/Prov governments are providing $9 million in funding for a new coast guard facility. It’s great news, obviously, but the news release left out the when and the where... frustrating... anyone have any details? They listed, in great detail, the sizes of the offices, multipurpose areas, hangar, etc. But it left me wondering where this thing is!
The hangar is at Saint John Airport and the other building is at the Industrial Park.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yikes!!!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:54 AM

Enterprise Saint John's development plan shows Saint John had a relatively good 3rd quarter.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
The hangar is at Saint John Airport and the other building is at the Industrial Park.
Does this pier have anything to do with said industrial park site?

https://goo.gl/maps/Ai3poZygbHs

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljm View Post
Saint John To Get Major Economic Boost according to CHSJ News
http://www.country94.ca/news/2251381...economic-boost

Posted on Monday, April 6, 2015

CHSJ News has learned a major economic development announcement is going to be made tomorrow in Lorneville.

The 7 million dollar barge terminal project is seen as being a key component to getting the Saint John economy moving again with the creation of highly paid jobs.

This project first came to light last June at the annual meeting of Saint John Industrial Parks as we heard from General Manager Brian Irving who, at the time, talked about the potential impact with the creation of 175 jobs right off the bat and growing from there.

The barge terminal has been compared to building another Moosehead brewery in the Spruce Lake Industrial Park.

I believe this is what you were point out on google maps - it's from a few years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces