HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

I can think of several uses for that clip....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I was going to post this Julius Shulman photo yesterday, but then I came across a load of extra pictures to sort through. This is the only one in "Job 416: Welch's (Long Beach, Calif.), 1949".

SDSU Library & Information Access
Went to Welch's many times as it was an adult restaurant that always welcomed children. I've recently communicated with the one of Mr. Welch's daughters. She sent me some of the old matchbooks from the restaurant.

Mr. Welch was the manager of the Long Beach Naval Base Officer's Club during WW II.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:01 PM

I'm intrigued by the stylized neon palm tree. I'd love to see it lit (lighted?) up.

This morning I happened upon this framed photograph of Julie's Restaurant located near USC at Figueroa & Exposition Blvd. (c.1948)

eBay

Here's the information on the back of the frame.

Here's a closer look at the people at the end of the bar.

FYI

Julie's has only been mentioned one time on NLA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighen View Post

Lemster reminded me that on the east side of Figueroa going south from Exposition was a USC parking lot, then two homes that served as USC offices, Julie's Restaurant (old USC hangout especially after football games), then Margarita Jones Restaurant. Then crossing Flower, was a parking lot for a medical office/clinic, then a row of apartments (perhaps this is where your Aunt Rose lived across the Sports Arena) and then when you reach Santa Barbara Ave (now MLK Blvd) was the Hotel Coliseum:
You can see the rest of bighen's post Here

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Mr. Welch was the manager of the Long Beach Naval Base Officer's Club during WW II.

First I looked to see if I could find a photo of the Officer's Club. When built, it was called the Allen Center.

Roosevelt Naval Base - Long Beach Naval Station - Construction - Allen Center, Gym , Boating Center - Navy Yard under Construction - March 6, 1942 [Ocean at bottom.]
[For closer views, click the photo below, and then click that photo again.]
WikimediaCommons PicClick

A completed 1943 view: [Ocean at right.]

Construction of this complex, named Roosevelt Base, took place between 1940 and 1943, and cost $18 million, funded by Congressional appropriations. Included were the gymnasium (Bldg. #23), squash/handball courts and locker rooms (#22), a swimming pool (#233) and tennis courts (#221), arcade (#234), lounge and bowling alley (#20), officers' club (#24), and fleet landing building (#10), administration building (#1), dispensary (#2), fire station (#3), central heating plant (#4), labor board building (#41), gatehouse (#40), and main gates (gate 1), and a net pier (pier 7, structure 126), and extensive landscaping.

Roosevelt Base | Officers Club
(Building No. 24)
Corner of Pennsylvania Street and Richardson Avenue

This photo below of the building is from the Historic American Buildings Survey done in 1996 when the Long Beach Naval base was being decommissioned.

VIEW OF BUILDING 24, WEST AND SOUTH SIDES, FACING NORTHEAST - Roosevelt Base, Officers' Club, Corner of Pennsylvania Street & Richardson Avenue, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, CA

Library of Congress

Building 24, built in 1942 at the cost of $350,586, was designed for use as a recreational area with swimming pool, dining facilities, locker rooms, and lounges for officers. It is currently used as an Officers' Club. [1996] Its construction was part of a plan to provide recreational and administrative facilities for the Pacific Fleet anchored in San Pedro harbor. The construction of this complex was part of a nationwide military effort to replace deteriorating World War I temporary buildings with new permanent facilities to attract and retain post-war peacetime forces. Rather than using a standard design from the Bureau of Yards and Docks, the Navy, through Allied Engineers, hired local civilian architects Adrian Wilson and Paul R. Williams. As a result the buildings, designed in the International Style with Mediterranean Revival details, are unique to the Base. From: Bldg. 24/Historic American Buildings Survey

Of the originally designed building, the survey concludes:

Building 24, the original Officers' Club called the Allen Center, was once a dominant building in the recreation complex, but has been so remodeled that its original International Style attributes have been overwhelmed. The dramatic port cochere, now hidden by landscaping, the pool side door, set within window walls, and the entry door are the only original elements remaining with architectural integrity.

The dramatic port cochere, now hidden by landscaping...

Library of Congress

The pool side door, set within window walls...

Library of Congress

The entry door...

Library of Congress

Here's a couple photos of interiors and exteriors taken from the Paul Williams Project Website gallery section:

Interior, 1944:

Library, 1994:

Lounge, 1944:

One of the major features of the Wilson and Williams Roosevelt Naval Base design was the importance of landscaping. Created by Walter Hammond Sadler, a noted landscape architect, considerable funds were included in both the initial and continuing budget for building and maintaining the base grounds. ($175,000 in 1944) Roosevelt Naval Base was one of the last significant government sponsored landscape projects undertaken after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Basing his plan on City Beautiful movement principles, Sadler incorporated large-scale lawns, native plants (date and fan palms, Moreton Bay fig, olive trees, laurel fig, etc.) and over-sized concrete planters. His design gave the government facility a residential California flavor.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 4, 2021 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:47 PM

Woodlake Bowl

Welch's reminds me of a building near where I grew up in the 50s and 60s, the Woodlake Bowl as it was called then.

Here's a picture from the Los Angeles Historic Resources Inventory.

http://historicplacesla.org/reports/...2-9cea2f1a7f0a

When I was in Jr. High, my English teacher assigned the class to write an essay about a significant building near our homes. Since where I lived the Woodlake Bowl was the only building of any type other than houses, I chose it. Years later, after attending college and traveling through Europe, I remembered my essay with embarrasment. What a dope I was to chose such a cheesy ugly building to write about! Then came the 90s and mid-century modernism became the rage. Now I look back and think how prescient I was in writing about it only a year after its construction. As they say, I'd rather be lucky than good.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I'm intrigued by the stylized neon palm tree. I'd love to see it lit (lighted?) up.

It looks like there were two of these neon signs, one on each side:

Servimg

Close up detail of the entrance...and vintage taxi.

Servimg

On some further searching, in an article from On Bunker Hill, it appears the above photos were taken by George Mann. In that article it says they wished he'd hung around to capture the neon sign illuminated, but it IS illuminated here isn't it? The glass tubing isn't in color unless it's turned on. Maybe they meant they wished to see it at night.

Wiki info: A neon tube is a sealed glass tube with a metal electrode at each end, filled with one of a number of gases at low pressure. A high potential of several thousand volts applied to the electrodes ionizes the gas in the tube, causing it to emit colored light. The color of the light depends on the gas in the tube.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Welch's Restaurant

It looks like there were two of these neon signs, one on each side:

Servimg

Close up detail of the entrance...and vintage taxi.

Servimg

On some further searching, in an article from On Bunker Hill, it appears the above photos were taken by George Mann. In that article it says they wished he'd hung around to capture the neon sign illuminated, but it IS illuminated here isn't it? The glass tubing isn't in color unless it's turned on. Maybe they meant they wished to see it at night.

Wiki info: A neon tube is a sealed glass tube with a metal electrode at each end, filled with one of a number of gases at low pressure. A high potential of several thousand volts applied to the electrodes ionizes the gas in the tube, causing it to emit colored light. The color of the light depends on the gas in the tube.
I believe the neon sign is lit....it was very subtle. The round part of the building is the bar area and restrooms.

Towards the end of its life, the restaurant was turned into a tacky smorgasbord place for local people. I went there one time in 1968....the entire place was a mere shadow of its former glory as a sophisticated eatery with the Welch family at the helm.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 9:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
First I looked to see if I could find a photo of the Officer's Club. When built, it was called the Allen Center.

One of the major features of the Wilson and Williams Roosevelt Naval Base design was the importance of landscaping. Created by Walter Hammond Sadler, a noted landscape architect, considerable funds were included in both the initial and continuing budget for building and maintaining the base grounds. ($175,000 in 1944) Roosevelt Naval Base was one of the last significant government sponsored landscape projects undertaken after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Basing his plan on City Beautiful movement principles, Sadler incorporated large-scale lawns, native plants (date and fan palms, Moreton Bay fig, olive trees, laurel fig, etc.) and over-sized concrete planters. His design gave the government facility a residential California flavor.

Today in 2021 the entire Navy Base has been turned over to the Chinese for a shipping port and container yard. All of the landscaping and buildings were flattened and the ground is a container parking lot for COSCO. The City of Long Beach decided that they would rather have a Chinese goods port than the US Navy.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 8:55 PM

I don't think the neon is on in the George Mann photograph.

hmm. . .I wonder who's idea it was to put the crab up in the palm tree? It seems a bit odd.

I would have guessed the stylized shape was coral by how it looks on the matchbook.

eBay

I've looked everywhere for that damn fountain.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 9:35 PM

In my search for the elusive Bixby Knolls fountain I happened upon this art deco maternity hospital a couple of block south on Atlantic Blvd.

"1938 - Art Deco - Maternity Hospital at 3833 Atlantic Avenue."

longbeachhistoricalsociety

This building still stands, relatively, pristine.

GSV

Today it is a Dental Health Clinic.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 6, 2021 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 11:49 PM

mystery location.

currently on eBay

Does anyone remember this little drum store? (and Guitar Villa)

There are street number but they're either hidden by signs or simply too diificult to read.

detail

"Hootenanny Headquarters" -sounds like fun.

I realize politics is anathema to this thread but I have to say I am heartbroken by what is happening in our nation's capitol, today.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 7, 2021 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 12:35 AM

Yes. It is stunning. But is anyone surprised?

Quote:
I don't think the neon is on in the George Mann photograph..
But neon tubing is white.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Today in 2021 the entire Navy Base has been turned over to the Chinese for a shipping port and container yard. All of the landscaping and buildings were flattened and the ground is a container parking lot for COSCO. The City of Long Beach decided that they would rather have a Chinese goods port than the US Navy.
Well, it wasn't Long Beach that decided to close down the Naval Base. It was done in two steps a few years apart by Washington, D.C., In the 1990's.

I used to frequent the Long Beach Civic Light Opera productions. When the Navy moved out, so did half of their military audience, and they unfortunately shut down.

Long Beach Civic Light Opera Hears the Music, Calls It Quits
by DON SHIRLEY (From Green Book? )
APRIL, 1996

Long Beach Civic Light Opera (at the Terrace Theater), a 47-year-old institution that grew from modest community roots into the most prominent musical theater company in Southern California, is going out of business.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...724-story.html

Terrace Theater:

LongBeachConcertVenues

Long Beach Arena in the background, on left.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:

mystery location.

currently on eBay

Does anyone remember this little drum store? (and Guitar Villa)

There are street number but they're either hidden by signs or simply too diificult to read.

detail

"Hootenanny Headquarters" -sounds like fun.

[...]
e_r, here's Guitar Villa, but the address is slightly different (yours is 6122) . . .

LA Times, 1/22/1978

6122 Santa Monica Blvd. (from your photo) is a survivor . . .

gsv

And it seems that the 6226 Santa Monica Blvd. address of the ad is also perhaps a survivor:

gsv

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 1:02 AM

The Pacific Jazz blogspot says this:

Frequent visitors to this blog will have noticed a variety of addresses for Pacific Jazz / World Pacific on the backs of the EP covers and catalogues. The first location was at 6124 Santa Monica Boulevard above the retail space for Roy Harte’s and Remo Belli’s DRUM CITY. The space was an apartment that Roy and Dick converted to offices. Dotty Woodward was in the front “living room” area that looked out on to Santa Monica Boulevard. Charlie Emge occupied one of the bedrooms where the west coast office of Down Beat was located after Charlie relocated to 6124 from his former address at 6110 Santa Monica Boulevard. Other rooms held the offices for Linear Publications and Nocturne Records. The building has changed little since DRUM CITY and Pacific Jazz were located there. The exterior entrance to the apartment upstairs seen at the far right in the photo below framed by tile work can still be seen in the contemporary photo from the mid 1990's.

PacificJazz

Mid-90's view:

PacificJazz

Note the bees!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 5:58 PM

Thanks for finding the Drum City location, odinthor & for the follow ups Martin Pal. I appreciate it.

I didn't realize the importance of the building (the offices upstairs as well as the store fronts). That explains why someone took the photograph.

It appears that 'Aunt B' painted the bees. (the artist's signature is at the top)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 8, 2021 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, it wasn't Long Beach that decided to close down the Naval Base. It was done in two steps a few years apart by Washington, D.C., In the 1990's.
From what I remember, the site property is owned by the city of Long Beach and they had to approve of any property transfer. A local TV personality Huell Howser was deeply involved in the Naval Base's future. He did his best to convert the land and historic buildings to a recreational park for locals.
The main problem is that the Base property is smack dab in an industrial area. This was considered a bad location for a civilian recreation site.

Chapman U.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 10, 2021 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
From what I remember, the site property is owned by the city of Long Beach and they had to approve of any property transfer. A local TV personality Huell Howser was deeply involved in the Naval Base's future. He did his best to convert the land and historic buildings to a recreational park for locals.

CBD, thank you for bringing him up because I then looked up on youtube and found out that he did a rare hour long program on this very location and chatted with people who wanted to save the place like you described above and those who thought it might be a done deal already that it was to be made into a container port. He urges people at the end of the program to contact the then current Mayor of Long Beach with their opinions. I so far have only checked out portions of the program, but it includes historical photos and film footage as well as then current views of the place, including aerials. It does seem a shame that many of the wonderfully designed historical buildings and beautiful ocean settings had to give way to something rather heartless and soul crushing. The program is from 1996. (It was only posted to youtube three months ago.)

Visiting With Huell Howser- Long Beach Naval Station

Video Link

He also did a half-hour 1995 program about the shipyard itself.
Visiting with Huell Howser: Long Beach Naval Shipyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io9D7Fp58JQ

There is also a 39 minute documentary produced for The Port of Long Beach in 1999, filled with lots of historical information and footage:
A Tale of Two Bases: The Long Beach Naval Station and Naval Shipyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ai0JA1hUY

I suppose the Port of Long Beach commissioned a documentary to remember what they'd gotten rid of.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 9, 2021 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 6:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I lived on this Base for 9 months. I was part of the Admiral's staff for the Pacific Mine Force.

Barracks were built on the blank land in the middle of the photo. That was my home. Bob Hope's son had a room above mine and he like to bounce golf balls on the floor. I finally went up there and politely asked him to stop the noise....he did, thank you. He usually denied who he was but everyone knew the truth. He had one friend and mostly kept to himself. This was 1968.
By the time I arrived at this Base many of the buildings we see in this photo were long gone and had been replaced by new construction. At the far left there are two sand parking lots for sailors who were at sea on ships or stationed at the Base as I was.
The last time I was on this Base was when Royal Yacht Britannia docked there. Nancy Reagan wanted to ride the yacht up to San Francisco. She was denied this glory because of bad weather on the route. Even the Queen took to the air for the trip north.

Thanks Martin for your research, great load of photos and videos.!

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 10, 2021 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 3:46 AM

Quote:

The Pacific Jazz blogspot says this:

Frequent visitors to this blog will have noticed a variety of addresses for Pacific Jazz / World Pacific on the backs of the EP covers and catalogues. The first location was at 6124 Santa Monica Boulevard above the retail space for Roy Harte’s and Remo Belli’s DRUM CITY. The space was an apartment that Roy and Dick converted to offices. Dotty Woodward was in the front “living room” area that looked out on to Santa Monica Boulevard. Charlie Emge occupied one of the bedrooms where the west coast office of Down Beat was located after Charlie relocated to 6124 from his former address at 6110 Santa Monica Boulevard. Other rooms held the offices for Linear Publications and Nocturne Records. The building has changed little since DRUM CITY and Pacific Jazz were located there. The exterior entrance to the apartment upstairs seen at the far right in the photo below framed by tile work can still be seen in the contemporary photo from the mid 1990's.

PacificJazz

Mid-90's view:

PacificJazz

Note the bees!
Roy Harte recorded a terrific Exotica record called Perfect Percussion at Drum City on Santa Monica Blvd. in 1961. I imagine all of these neat instruments were in stock at the store. He was still working there around 2000 and autographed my album.

Discogs.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMvnGXLdv1s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos