HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 1:34 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Edit: Holy cow, that insanity is almost true for every single neighbourhood in Calgary. Is there some sort of savant in the planning department there for which this naming scheme actually makes sense?!
Weeeeelllll, I have been told by a couple different sources within the city's planning department that that was actually the case. The rationale was that a decision was made "back in the day" that every new neighbourhood in Calgary would have all the rightaways named similarly to aid first responders to know where to go. And once in that neighbourhood (E.g. Point McKay), the identifier for the rightaway would actually help them since the identifier allocation was to be done alphabetically based on distance from downtown.

Thus "Point McKay Gardens" would be given to a rightaway that is physically closer to downtown than "Point McKay Grove" - and it is.

Further complicating this was that certain identifiers - blvd, road, gate, etc - were reserved for special rightaways, but others were fair game - Mews, Rise, Close, etc - which don't appear to be used widely in other jurisdictions.

Anyway, upon further inspection in some of the Calgary areas, this naming convention doesn't seem to have been applied, but I have heard this "explanation" on at least 3 different occasions from people who could know. Perhaps they all heard it from the same source??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
One of the streets bordering CF Champlain Place in Dieppe NB is Paul Street.

Since Dieppe is a bilingual city, the street signs say"Rue Paul Street".
The more international/anglo parts of Mtl also have bilingual signage. "Rue Wellington Street", "Pont Champlain Bridge", etc.

I suppose when you have zero knowledge of the other language is when it gets interesting.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
It's very annoying though when you get things mixed up. Hamilton has a bunch of East # numbers. My one Aunt had lived on East 34th (I think), but I could never remember if it was East 32nd or East 36th, just that it was an east 30 something street. It's much easier to confuse a bunch of similar numbers that are right near each other than distinct names (similar names however...).
When shopping for real estate it's also annoying because some listings aren't correctly identified (I'd say that happens as frequently as 10% of the time in private ads, and even sometimes with realtors as well.)

For example generally speaking in Amarillo,

NW 4th Ave is somewhat interesting
SW 4th Ave is interesting
SE 4th Ave is decent
NE 4th Ave is not very interesting

and a property on a site like craiglist that's just labeled as "2800 4th ave" by the ad creator can actually be located at no less than four different spots in the city.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The more international/anglo parts of Mtl also have bilingual signage. "Rue Wellington Street", "Pont Champlain Bridge", etc.

I suppose when you have zero knowledge of the other language is when it gets interesting.
Any big green highway signs that are bilingual in Montreal are that way because they are on federal property. Like the Champlain Bridge and the Autoroute Bonaventure (A-10).

As soon as you come off federal property and back onto MTQ or City of Montreal signs, they revert back to French only.

So it has nothing to do with being international or anglo.

Although yes, there are small street signs in certain anglo majority municipalities that are bilingual. Though many like Westmount try to be neutral and don't generally post "rue" or "street", and just put the name like GREENE. Somewhat controversially, Westmount's parking signs are in French only. If that has changed it's only very recently.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 6:12 PM

True, and believe me or not I was already aware of that, but I find it does correlate well with the areas where traffic has less of a Quebec-centric flavor in general, for obvious reasons (since they're the main supra-regional transportation axis), so I found it an acceptable approximation.

For the sake of accuracy though, I admit I shouldn't have taken that shortcut

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Any big green highway signs that are bilingual in Montreal are that way because they are on federal property. Like the Champlain Bridge and the Autoroute Bonaventure (A-10).

As soon as you come off federal property and back onto MTQ or City of Montreal signs, they revert back to French only.

So it has nothing to do with being international or anglo.

Although yes, there are small street signs in certain anglo majority municipalities that are bilingual. Though many like Westmount try to be neutral and don't generally post "rue" or "street", and just put the name like GREENE. Somewhat controversially, Westmount's parking signs are in French only. If that has changed it's only very recently.
And yet Westmount (and Hampstead) have English-only Stop signs. That was quite the shocker for me.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 9:49 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
St. John's has a knack for changing up the street names on a single street as well,
Any with 8 names?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_Route_62

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 10:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
When shopping for real estate it's also annoying because some listings aren't correctly identified (I'd say that happens as frequently as 10% of the time in private ads, and even sometimes with realtors as well.)

For example generally speaking in Amarillo,

NW 4th Ave is somewhat interesting
SW 4th Ave is interesting
SE 4th Ave is decent
NE 4th Ave is not very interesting

and a property on a site like craiglist that's just labeled as "2800 4th ave" by the ad creator can actually be located at no less than four different spots in the city.
Of course 95 King St. E could be three different spots in Hamilton.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
And yet Westmount (and Hampstead) have English-only Stop signs. That was quite the shocker for me.
The OQLF accepts the word "stop" as proper French within this context. So those English-only signs are, officially speaking at least, French-only signs.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 11:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Yes, but you forgot there is a First Avenue, all by itself between Portugal Cv. Rd. and Roche Street. I guess they are still waiting for Second Avenue.

Without a grid system, numbered streets would not make any sense.

And remember we've come a long way, only a few hundred years ago, people did not even have last names!
I have a friend on First Avenue. No one (delivery drivers, taxi drivers, etc.) ever knows where it is.

I'm sure in Newfoundland the most common name is Water, Empire, King/Queen/Prince/Princess, or Canada. Most communities have all of those. Back Road or High Road as well (doesn't refer to the main commercial strip - travel was mainly by sea when the roads were named, the Back Road or High Road was the one that went uphill and inland, usually dirt/gravel, to the next town. Lots have been officially renamed "Old X Road" now, with X being whichever community it used to go to. You'll see lots even in St. John's. Old Bay Bulls Road, Old Pennywell Road, Old Topsail Road, Old Placentia Road, etc. All those used to be called Back or High by people at their city end). And, of course, Circular.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Of course 95 King St. E could be three different spots in Hamilton.
Sherbrooke currently has the following (all of them fully separate streets, none of them close to each other, some of the duplicity due to the municipal mergers) :

"Queen"
"Queen Victoria"
"Victoria"

"King"
"King George"
"George"
"George V"

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 3:21 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Sherbrooke currently has the following (all of them fully separate streets, none of them close to each other, some of the duplicity due to the municipal mergers) :

"Queen"
"Queen Victoria"
"Victoria"

"King"
"King George"
"George"
"George V"
You have a Rue Queen-Victoria and a Rue King-George?

We have a Rue Queen. And also a Rue de la Reine-Victoria.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 3:46 AM

In fact I forgot, there's also a William Street, named (in the 1830s) after the same guy as our King Street (also opened in the 1830s).

The George Street downtown might have been named for George IV.

King-George Street is definitely named after George V, that neighborhood was developed in the 1910s-1920s.

And of course all Queen and Victoria streets are named after the same person.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 7:21 PM

Is Saint John you will find:

Prince William St (which becomes Chipman Hill and Peel Plaza at one end)
Princess St (which has an intersection with PW, making an interesting intersection name)
Prince Edward St
Prince St
King St
King St W
King St E
King William Rd

St John St
St James St
St Andrews St
St Anne St
St Patrick St

Red Head Rd
Green Head Rd

Millidge St
Millidge Ave

City Rd
City Line (both of which are along former municipal boundaries)

Main St
Main St W

Market Sq
Market Pl

There's also a variety of pointless name changes:

Manners Sutton Rd>Kennebecasis Drive
University Ave>Woodward Ave
Churchill Blvd>Samuel Davis Dr>Sandy Point Rd>Foster Thurston Dr
Thorne Ave>Loch Lomond Rd
Grandview Ave (nothing Avenueish about it)
McAllister Dr>Champlain Dr
Barker St>Magazine St>Metcalf St
Paradise Row>Hilyard St
Lansdowne Ave>Chesley Dr>Bridge St>Fairville Blvd>Manawagonish Rd>Ocean Westway>King William Rd
Westfield Rd>Bay St>Manchester Ave>Kierstead Rd
Catherwood St>Bleury St>Seawood Lane
Manawagonish Rd>Main St W>Lancaster Ave>Dufferin Row
Main St>St Patrick St>Water St>Lower Cove Loop>Broad St>Crown St>Mt Pleasant Ave>Arrow Walk Rd>Hawthorne Ave

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 9:05 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Kingsway runs through Vancouver and Burnaby, and it doesn't have a street type -- it's not Kingsway Street or Kingsway Avenue, it's just Kingsway. Are there any other roads in Canada that are like this?

As far as I can find it didn't start out as Kings Way either. It used be called Westminster Road and Vancouver Road until it was officially opened in 1913 as Kingsway.
Thunder Bay's Kingsway is just Kingsway. It was originally part of Highway 61, a beautiful tree-lined street that headed south toward the US. Now the trees are gone, the hotels are dumpy, and it's not very busy. We used to have a Broadway, but at some point they started sticking "Avenue" to the end of it and now its Broadway Avenue.

Conversely, we have a John Street Road, which is the road that leads you to John Street, which goes to Oliver Road, which leads to the township of Oliver, which is where John Street Road begins.

Quote:
It always bothers me when a city has a street named 'Main Street' that's just some irrelevant side street.

Thunder Bay's Main Street is the road to the port, the only things on it are warehouses and big box stores. Although considering the history of Thunder Bay, it's probably better that we didn't have a Main Street in the first place. It's bad enough people are still bitter over the renaming of Port Arthur's Arthur Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
If they get to count North Osborne and Osborne as two different names, then I live on:

West Arthur-Arthur-Simpson-Fort William-South Water-North Water-North Cumberland-Hodder-Copenhagen Street/Road/Avenue. And that's 9 names.

Thunder Bay also has Edward-Golf Links-Junot-River (soon to be Edward-Golf Links-Northwest-Wardrope and Junot-River), Dawson-Red River-St. Patrick-Red River (formerly Red River-Dawson-Red River-St. Patrick-Arthur) and John Street/Valley-John/Oliver-Balmoral-Balmoral-Waterloo (two different Balmoral Streets got connected by an S-curve and a third Balmoral runs parallel to Waterloo, while Valley branches off John Street to the north and John Street ends at High Street but Oliver Road, beside it, becomes John Street and continues eastward).

We complain about this a lot but it's not as bad as Winnipeg and K-W. All of our street names are at identifiable locations and there is a clear reason behind them.

The annoying thing is that street numbers flip back and forth all the time, and reset in the middle of Fort William.

In regards to naming in subdivisions, Thunder Bay doesn't allow duplication unless the duplicate named streets branches off of a street with the same name. (Fairbanks Place can branch off of Fairbanks Crescent—and it does—but it couldn't branch off of Cascade Crescent one block over; but Cascade Place could.)

Streets must follow a common theme within a subdivision without confusing duplication.

River Terrace has a water and light theme, with street names like Cascade, Sunrise, Creek, Riviera, and Rainbow. Jumbo Gardens, where I grew up, has a theme of "The people and places in the life of Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington". It's over 100 years old and everyone pronounces Junot wrong. (It should be pronounced like Juno, people here say Jew-not). Sherwood Estates has a Robin Hood theme, Gemstone Estates has a gemstone theme, County Park is named for counties in England. Part of our North End is named for Great Lakes and the cities on them, streets in West End and Edgewater are named for trees. South Port Arthur has numbered streets—we have a unique take on those I'll explain in a moment. Fort William's East End, circa 1870, is named for HBC/NWC figures to the east, and CPR figures to the west. Northwood Park, Thornloe Park and College Park are for the most part named for colleges and universities in Ontario (and, for whatever reason, this is the neighbourhood in Northern Ontario with the highest concentration of people with post-secondary diplomas), Parkdale has a wildlife theme. Etc.

We have a Herald Street and Herald Crescent and a Norah Street and Norah Crescent, the streets are residential streets and the crescents are industrial streets across a river from them, but they line up. The different suffix just lets you know which one is which.

I'm not going to touch house numbers and cardinal directions because that's something Thunder Bay really does terribly wrong. Numbered streets are just something we did stupid:

This kind of makes sense. Sure they're spelled out which is uncommon but they're all the same.

Haha, oops.

Considering there is no 9th Avenue, I guess they just alternate then?

Nope. Still fucked up. (There is no 14th or 15th Avenue either.)

Also, the cardinal directions can go before or after the street. As far as their concerned, North Cumberland Street and Cumberland Street North are equally valid, and signs will vary on where they put the N. depending on who made the sign and when it was made.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
In Calgary they went numbers instead of names I think as far back as 1903.
As was mentioned, all of the burbs have named streets but with either the exact same name, or at least starting with the same letter, which is annoying.

Many of the innercity neighborhoods have street name signs with the old street name below the current one in smaller text. One exception to the numbered innercity streets is downtown's main shopping street, which reverted back to its former name, Stephen Avenue. I'd like to see that repeated for other streets of note. 1st street briefly flirted with branding itself Scarth St, but it doesn't seem to have caught on. In the community of Inglewood, the main road was called Atlantic Avenue (now 9th Avenue), and there are a few businesses which reference the old name in their names, but no moves that I know of to officially bring back the name.

One thing to note though, many of the names on the original streets in Calgary were just named after CPR execs..
Edmonton has the same where some of the more notable historic districts now have street-signs with names in smaller letters underneath the numbers. 125th Street, for example, is, I think, St. Catherine Street. Now, I wonder what would happen if you tried to mail a letter using just the street name and not the number.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
The OQLF accepts the word "stop" as proper French within this context. So those English-only signs are, officially speaking at least, French-only signs.
Am I missing something or does that not make any sense? Stop is not a French word, Arret is.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 7:12 AM

A fun one in Waterloo Region is this route which is technically one continuous road that changes names 11 times: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.42...!1m0!3e1?hl=en

Perth County Line 43, Erbs Rd, Erb St W/E, Bridgeport Rd, Riverbend Dr, Shirley Ave, Bingmans Centre Dr, Lackner Blvd, Fairway Cres, and Idle Creek Dr.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Am I missing something or does that not make any sense? Stop is not a French word, Arret is.
"Stop" is in both French dictionaries of record (Le Petit Larousse and Le Petit Robert), so it passes the test. There is a also a related French verb: "stopper". (Other words of foreign origin are also in there like pizza, sirocco, etc.)

The OQLF aren't as obtuse as some people think!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That always cracked me up.

None with 8. I think the best bet is probably one that goes:

Topsail - Cornwall - Hamilton - Lemarchant - Harvey - Military - Ordnance

But there are two splits (Hamilton at Lemarchant, and Lemarchant at Harvey) where it's arguable that the named street branches off and doesn't continue all the way to Ordnance.

There are lots of these little angled breakaways in St. John's, usually because the one on the left continues on across the hillside at grade, while the one on the right veers downhill (they made more sense when built and we drove on the left).

So take this one, Hamilton at Lemarchant (ignore the Cornwall name on the business, it's a couple of blocks away from being on Cornwall). Lemarchant is the road heading up and to the left. Hamilton continues with the same name straight ahead down the hill. I think the main bulk of this street becomes Lemarchant and Hamilton is the turn-off, despite having the same name. If you disagree, then the street ends at Hamilton in the list of names of above.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 5, 2016 at 9:59 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada