HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:48 AM

I think its fairly safe to say that the Jays will make the Wildcard right now. Whether they make it past that, still up for grabs. Anything can happen in one game.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:41 AM

It's fun watching us completely paste whatever team holds the second wild card.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:40 PM

Ya it is isn't it. Sorry Texas.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:38 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Fun Fact: The Jays are 9-0 in August when playing the team holding the 2nd AL Wild Card spot.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:51 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I think its fairly safe to say that the Jays will make the Wildcard right now. Whether they make it past that, still up for grabs. Anything can happen in one game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
It's too bad the wild card wasn't at least a best of three. I've never been a fan of the one game playoff.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:56 PM
Editor

I think the Jays have a really good shot at making the playoffs. My only concern is the starting rotation. With Price on board it's better, but I wonder about the starting rotation in a 7 game series. Other than that they look great.
Hopefully we don't see a meltdown...I still remember watching the Boston meltdown in 2011. But yeah, they would really have to tank in order to miss at least a wildcard spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Let's, actually. Not only are they relevant, they're in first place and it's nearly September. Furthermore, baseball pundits around North America widely consider the Jays to be one of the best, if not the best team in baseball. Their record currently stands at 70-55. After a season low of 50-51, they've gone a miraculous 20-4 placing them, heading into tonight's game, 1.5 games ahead of the Yankees. Relevant? Oh yes.

And let's not forget the two wildcard spots. The team currently holding that last spot is Texas at 64-60. For the Jays to fall completely out of a playoff position by October, a complete and total meltdown would have to take place. If the last WC team continues at that pace, they'll finish with around 84 wins. For the Jays to finish behind a team like that, well, they'd have to finish the season with a 13-24 record. With this team, what are the chances?

Anything can happen in baseball. We see that cliche illustrated year in and year out. But the chances of the Jays missing the playoffs are so minute that I'd say 'getting ahead of ourselves' is a perfectly acceptable thing right now.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:08 PM
I am the law!

Boston's meltdown was hilarious. 1985 and 1987 were tough to be a junior Jays fan. Up 3 to 1 in the ALCS only to lose. 3.5 game lead with 7 games left to end up 2 back having lost all 7.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I think the Jays have a really good shot at making the playoffs. My only concern is the starting rotation. With Price on board it's better, but I wonder about the starting rotation in a 7 game series. Other than that they look great.
Hopefully we don't see a meltdown...I still remember watching the Boston meltdown in 2011. But yeah, they would really have to tank in order to miss at least a wildcard spot.
The Jays' starting rotation, since the All-Star Break, has been one of the best in baseball. Their pitching in general has been stellar for months now as they climb up the statistical chart in terms of ERA, WHIP etc.

As for who would start in a 7-game series, basically, Price would go three times along with, well, whomever. It should also be pointed out that Stroman is currently being stretched out, so it's entirely possible he'll get a start or two before the end of the season.

And let's not forget that pretty much every other team has the same concerns about pitching. Fact is, their rotation stacks up well against most other teams and any failings in that regard could be made up my that epic offense.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:27 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post

As for who would start in a 7-game series, basically, Price would go three times along with, well, whomever. It should also be pointed out that Stroman is currently being stretched out, so it's entirely possible he'll get a start or two before the end of the season.

And let's not forget that pretty much every other team has the same concerns about pitching. Fact is, their rotation stacks up well against most other teams and any failings in that regard could be made up my that epic offense.
Absolutely. I'd see them going with a playoff rotation of Price, Dickey and Buehrle, with the short hook ready to go with Estrada for long relief. Of course, if Stroman can make it back with any level of effectiveness, the Jays will have a nice problem to deal with.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 1:59 PM

Not the best game yesterday but we can't win them all. Still we scored 19 runs in 3 games so I'm not to concerned about a loss with this team at the moment.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 11:44 PM

I can't get enough of this Youtube video of every Toronto Blue Jay home run (up to August 26), set to the steady drumbeat of Johnny Cash's song "God's Gonna Cut You Down". The video has gone viral, needless to say.

Youtube video

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 1:38 AM

^Cool video.

Four more today. Two the previous night. They now lead MLB with 180 dingers. Wow!

EE with an MLB hat-trick and a team-tying 9 rbi! En fuego!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:01 PM

Nice clean sweep against the Detroit today. Unfortunately NYY also won.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 12:00 AM

The Jays offense is so scary that, as a last resort, teams are pitching around the big boys to get to Tulo. Tulo is the 'weak' link in the lineup! That's mental...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 1:39 PM

The Blue Jays are currently 76-57. This is the same win-loss record as they were after 133 games in both 1992 and 1993.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:23 PM

I won't be happy until we are 5 up on NYY. Love to catch up the KC to be top in the American League by October.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 12:36 AM

^Those WS teams finished their seasons very strong. I expect similar results from this incarnation though continuing at their current post-ASG pace (.738) seems highly unlikely. Still, a 16-13 finish would be realistic, if not overly cautious resulting in a 92 win season and a playoff birth.

Schedule:
4-6 Sept v Bal
7-9 @ Bos
10-13 @ NYY
15-17 @Atl
18-20 v Bos
21-23 v NYY
25-27 v TB
28-1 Oct @ Bal
2-4 Oct @ TB

Most of the remaining games are against division rivals who would love nothing more than to spoil the Jays' final month. It's gonna be a dooooozy!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 3:26 AM

The playoffs still scare me. The last Cleveland series was a much better representation of the kind of competition the Jays are going to be facing. You have to be able to grind out wins against guys of Salazar's quality every other game. they're not going to score 10 runs/game against Keuchel or Tanaka, so it's probably going to come down to whether Dickey/Beurhle can maintain their insane post-ASG numbers. I think the best part of that series was watching Pompey steal two bases as a pinch runner. You need to manufacture those runs against the league's top pitchers when the bats aren't hot.

Rogers has actually done a really good job with the promotions this year though. The new commercial is pretty sweet.

http://streamable.com/co5k

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 5:19 AM

this maybe sums up best the current run of the Blue Jays..

http://www.thebeaverton.com/sports/i...utside-stadium

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 2:22 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Watching my first baseball game since that last World Series win in '92 or '93. Feels good to be back!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada