HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 5:25 PM

BLVD Place

Hanover Post Oak

HAIF - Skylineview

2929 Weslayan

russell.hancock - flickr

Astoria

HAIF - Skylineview

807 S. Post Oak

HAIF - Skylineview

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 7:15 PM
Ex Houstonian

The Astoria will be a pretty cool building since its located on such a small plot of land. Id like to see more towers built on smaller plots of land instead of using an entire city block for one building.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact News - Houston METRO
Hughes Landing plan includes new dining, retail

The first Hughes Landing tenants began moving in to their new offices in One Hughes Landing in early September, but the office building is only the first of many projects on the horizon. With residential, retail and dining projects planned in the near future, demand for space is strong for the 66-acre mixed-use development.

Plans for Hughes Landing include 1.5 million to 2 million square feet of office space, 800–1,000 apartment units, 175,000–200,000 square feet of retail, 200,000 square feet for a hotel and a fitness center to serve workers, said Alex Sutton, co-president of The Woodlands Development Company.
Within two years, much of Hughes Landing—located on the east side of Lake Woodlands between Grogan’s Mill Road and Lake Woodlands Drive—could be completed, including a grocery store, parking garage, restaurants and luxury apartments, he said. Sutton said the entirety of the development, including as many as 11 office buildings, could take five to 10 years to complete, depending on demand.

“There’s a lot of buzz in the market that Hughes Landing has created,” Sutton said. “There’s a strong interest in it, and we’re very pleased at the pace that it’s going.”

Full Article: http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/...dining-retail/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 12:52 AM
Ex Houstonian

I despise 99% of suburbia, but man, The Woodlands sure is doing it right. Its really quite amazing and should be a blueprint for the rest of Americas exurbs and suburbs. Of course, The Woodlands has a ton of money which helps too.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 5:40 AM

Well Photolith....more coming to the suburbs of Houston. Already posted but this time they have the sign up and a 15 storyish building appeared way in the back....Kingwood Park

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Blog Houston
6 Houston Center Shows New Signs of Life, Breaking Ground Soon

Remember Six Houston Center? The project that broke ground, but didn't actually begin construction back in 2008? Well, it has returned! Developer Crescent Real Estate has resurrected the project, with the rendering above possibly being the new design.

The plan now calls for the 30-Story, 600,000 sf tower to face Rusk Street. It will sit on Block 95 (Rusk/San Jacinto/Walker/Caroline). The developer wants construction to begin 1Q of next year, and for it to be ready for occupancy by 1Q 2016.

Article: http://houstonpro.blogspot.com/2013/...-signs-of.html
New Rendering of Hanover Post Oak

New Rendering for Capitol Tower

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Culture Map
A surprise look at MFAH's new upside down triangle building design sends artists into a tizzy

Art supporters flocked to the annual benefit luncheon for the Community Artists' Collective (CAC) — the renowned organization dedicated to promoting the visual arts throughout the Third Ward area.

Celebrated Houston artists Tierney Malone and Angelbert Metoyer led the Thursday afternoon event, which focused on raising funds for the CAC's innovative community quilting program. A silent auction of small art pieces filled the back of the banquet room at the Junior League of Houston, while a live auction featured works by major Bayou City artists Ann Johnson, Leamon Green, Robert Pruitt and Kermit Oliver.

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston director Gary Tinterow served as the benefit's main guest speaker, delivering a presentation on the MFAH's history that included a surprise overhead view of the museum's upcoming contemporary arts facility.

While surely just a preliminary mock-up, Tinterow's image showed the Steven Holl-designed project completely covering the museum's parking lot at Bissonnet and Main. As such, the building takes the shape of a truncated upside-down triangle, with seven small gardens carved into the perimeter. The museum director offered few other details aside from noting that a four-story garage would be located beneath the site.

Full Article: http://houston.culturemap.com/news/e...-into-a-tizzy/

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 2:13 PM

The City is looking at different options for the sections of I-45 and I-59 that surround downtown, to give the city better connection to Midtown, the East End and improve pedestrian activity. Alternatives include: Tunnels, parkway, one-way loop and removal.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ublication.pdf

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:04 PM

Just like Forbes Magazine said... "Houston is becoming an International City"

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:35 PM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
The City is looking at different options for the sections of I-45 and I-59 that surround downtown, to give the city better connection to Midtown, the East End and improve pedestrian activity. Alternatives include: Tunnels, parkway, one-way loop and removal.

I checked out that PDF. This one was shocking. Although it's still missing the new Hines residential project.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:51 PM

thanks for posting those Urbannizer. i couldnt figure out how to capture images from the PDF without taking screenshots. the tunnels are amazing and would be a game changer for downtown, but in all reality, thats the most expensive alternative i would imagine, so it probably wont happen. i wouldnt mind them tearing down 45 and rerouting it along 59 and 10. i schemed up the same thing about a few weeks ago on HAIF. it doesnt do much for opening downtown to the East End (unless they tunnel 59 like it looks like they have planned in that proposal also, though that one has a much narrower elevated portion than currently existing, for the 45 reroute.. still, its a "barrier"), but it would do a ton for opening up downtown to midtown and could allow for developers to finally break the "barrier" of downtown and 45, and develop those parts of midtown seamlessly with downtown.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
I checked out that PDF. This one was shocking. Although it's still missing the new Hines residential project.

agreed. nor does it show the new 35 story residential tower on the west side of Market Square next to that garage that replaced the historic Warrens building. theres going to be cranes all over downtown in the next few years..

i also noticed they have a design in place for 6 Houston Center. think its just a place holder or possibly the new tower?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
thanks for posting those Urbannizer. i couldnt figure out how to capture images from the PDF without taking screenshots. the tunnels are amazing and would be a game changer for downtown, but in all reality, thats the most expensive alternative i would imagine, so it probably wont happen. i wouldnt mind them tearing down 45 and rerouting it along 59 and 10. i schemed up the same thing about a few weeks ago on HAIF. it doesnt do much for opening downtown to the East End (unless they tunnel 59 like it looks like they have planned in that proposal also, though that one has a much narrower elevated portion than currently existing, for the 45 reroute.. still, its a "barrier"), but it would do a ton for opening up downtown to midtown and could allow for developers to finally break the "barrier" of downtown and 45, and develop those parts of midtown seamlessly with downtown.
Welcome. Glad you pointed it out over on HAIF, didn't notice the freeway proposal when I first scanned through the pdf file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
agreed. nor does it show the new 35 story residential tower on the west side of Market Square next to that garage that replaced the historic Warrens building. theres going to be cranes all over downtown in the next few years..

i also noticed they have a design in place for 6 Houston Center. think its just a place holder or possibly the new tower?
The 38-story residential tower, Five Allen Center and Greenstreet Hotel are missing. It shows the 35-story residential high-rise , but International Tower pretty much blocks it from that view.

As for 6 Houston Center, your right. That's the new design.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

So far I would love to see the Scheme D break ground in Houston. But I think that one will also be one of the most expensive projects, just for the fact that they're going to need water pumps to keep the tunnels dry.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:20 AM

oh and also Scheme A. That would be a major deal to reduce traffic on 45 South Bound

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:35 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post

Holy shit that's amazing. Looks like that one over by the old Enron building is nearly 1000 ft tall. What is that? It's the lot that was the old YMCA that they needlessly tore down right?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Holy shit that's amazing. Looks like that one over by the old Enron building is nearly 1000 ft tall. What is that? It's the lot that was the old YMCA that they needlessly tore down right?
The new Chevron building. It's 830'.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 2:36 AM
Everywhere all at once

I had no idea there was even any consideration, any ideas on the table, for redesigning the freeway loop around Houston, albeit to foster a more urban environment. This speaks volumes, especially about a Texas city. I always found Texas to be amazing in that it's still building freeways left and right like it's 1979, and I understood, because land in the state is nearly an infinite resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarinhouston View Post
Just like Forbes Magazine said... "Houston is becoming an International City"
This rings true for me now more so than ever.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 2:59 AM
Ex Houstonian

And what's that mid rise looking tower on the opposite side of market square park? That lot has half a parking lot on it and didnt realize it had any plans to be developed.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
And what's that mid rise looking tower on the opposite side of market square park? That lot has half a parking lot on it and didnt realize it had any plans to be developed.
thats the new 35 story residential tower thats proposed for the west side of market square. i didnt notice it at first but urbannizer pointed it out to me. though it sure doesnt look 35 stories from this angle. maybe there is a set back in the design and more of the height is on the south side, behind International Tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations