HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:31 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

The idea is that maybe over an extended period of time the people in a very diverse place would assimilate into one culture. And from that would come better societal cohesiveness, etc.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I know, white majority areas are some of the crappiest in the US.
That was a stupid and racist comment. One could just as easily say black majority areas are some of the crappiest in the U.S. But somehow that would not be acceptable. "Crappiest" areas is not racially exclusive.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 11:28 AM
Ascension

Wow this thread is terrible. Where's Paul Mooney when you need him?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That was a stupid and racist comment. One could just as easily say black majority areas are some of the crappiest in the U.S. But somehow that would not be acceptable. "Crappiest" areas is not racially exclusive.
A few posts later he said he was joking. While the comments was controversally phrased, the growing ethnic diversity of the country has been fueld by 1st/2nd generation immigrants. Immigrants tend to move to the most economically/culturally vibrant areas of the country. So a lot of cities that are overwhelmingly white are due in part to economic stagnation not attracting 1st/2nd generation Latinos/Asians immigrants. They don't have the white collar jobs to attract the high skilled professional immigrants or the need of a new source for manual labor.

Not to say these are bad places, but probably not the most vibrant/interesting for outsiders. Homogenous cities can be wonderful places to live if you are part of the team. But, are generally considered insular and skeptical of those outside the circle.

Last edited by jpdivola; May 3, 2016 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I was being sarcastic, I thought that was obvious. I'm also pretty white and I totally agree with you...

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 12:20 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
can someone please boast about their super diverse, non-racist country?

ohcanadaeh

sorrynotsorry

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 6:15 AM
You Better Work

Last edited by Steve de Ohio; May 8, 2016 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I agree. If anybody thinks race relations have gotten better, they haven't. And that does factor into purchasing a home for a lot of people. They just won't admit it... but it happens. Most people are racists by heart, they just won't admit it. But this is really not even a U.S. issue but one that spans globally. I really think its just human nature, and its not going away any time soon. We can put a band aid on it, and give the illusion that we have changed, but we haven't.

Some people might not like this viewpoint of the world, but all you have to do is look at history and society itself in the U.S. and in other countries to realize that discrimination, prejudiced, oppression and so on are rampant.
Since the 1950's? Yeah I'm pretty sure they have...and I'm a Black guy born and raised in the Deep South.

God knows we still have a long way to go in many areas, but saying that race relations haven't gotten any better is just completely off the mark.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I agree. If anybody thinks race relations have gotten better, they haven't. And that does factor into purchasing a home for a lot of people. They just won't admit it... but it happens. Most people are racists by heart, they just won't admit it. But this is really not even a U.S. issue but one that spans globally. I really think its just human nature, and its not going away any time soon. We can put a band aid on it, and give the illusion that we have changed, but we haven't.

Some people might not like this viewpoint of the world, but all you have to do is look at history and society itself in the U.S. and in other countries to realize that discrimination, prejudiced, oppression and so on are rampant.
Wow, I wish I had the vision to know what is in "most" people's hearts and minds. Are you psychic or do you just think you know more than you do? It's totally lame to hypothesize that most people are prejudiced/racist but they just don't know it. How do YOU know it and they don't?

It's ridiculous to sit up and say that you know how most people think and what is in their hearts, but I guess THAT is human nature as well. Please don't try to speak for most people...if you don't think things have changed for the better then please use your powers to go back in time a few decades and THEN come back and say nothing has changed.

Discrimination, racism, and prejudice are all truly facets of human nature, but you can't possibly know who feels what way or how most people feel, so I recommend not saying that you do.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
Since the 1950's? Yeah I'm pretty sure they have...and I'm a Black guy born and raised in the Deep South.

God knows we still have a long way to go in many areas, but saying that race relations haven't gotten any better is just completely off the mark.
Same here....THANK YOU! There is much room for improvement but this guy is saying things he obviously knows nothing about.

It seems to me like people who think they know all of America's problems ARE America's problems.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions