HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 11:48 PM

Talking about parking is exhausting. Get real. Whether a deck or not, the number of people added to the density is the important factor. When enough density arrives then parking/car ownership will fall; however, it will never disappear. Hello! Manhattan today has the worst traffic I’ve ever experienced, but yes you could walk but not for business, etc….

If you want no cars buy a time machine and return to 1890 Manhattan. According to literature and news stories, it wasn’t pleasant with smells and pedestrian enjoyment…today is much better! Again get real people.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 12:44 AM

Well said, Atlriser.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 12:35 PM

"The project proposed by Culdesac Inc., Urban Oasis Development and Kronberg Urbanists + Architects would not include vehicle parking for residents." That's 590 apartments. We can, and are, doing this already in Atlanta. Every 10 story parking lot we let developers build is one more roadblock toward sustainability and walkability in Atlanta.

Anyway, walked by 1018 W Peachtree and at this point in construction it's clear how this building, combined with the Portman development across spring street, will really change the skyline here and help to visually connect the skyline from north to south.

Last edited by shivtim; Oct 20, 2022 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Every 10 story parking lot we let developers build is one more roadblock toward sustainability and walkability in Atlanta.
How? Parking doesn't count against FAR and must have active uses at ground level. The occupiable part of the building is the same whether there's 1 level or 10.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
How? Parking doesn't count against FAR and must have active uses at ground level. The occupiable part of the building is the same whether there's 1 level or 10.
Assuming your question is in good faith, can you try to answer it? Why might a 10 story parking deck be bad for urbanism?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Assuming your question is in good faith, can you try to answer it? Why might a 10 story parking deck be bad for urbanism?
I genuinely don't know. It uses no land and doesn't change the density or amenities of the building. It only adds height.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:41 PM

i'm not anti car (in fact i enjoy occasionally driving for pleasure) but putting so many new parking decks in midtown not only increases costs of these buildings but also encourages more cars on surface streets, which the city can use an excuse to do things like rip out the peachtree shared street and block conversion to two-way streets - both examples of things that make the city more hostile to walking around.

forcing developers to include parking is not free market. let them build buildings without parking or with less parking, and offer units at a lower cost; people will decide if they want to go car-free.

relevant NJB video

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 4:38 PM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:51 PM

Let's just build a couple mega, 2000 foot tall parking garages strategically around the city - this will also have the added benefit of making some of the people on here who have a height complex on here happy - problem solved!

Gonna take a walk around midtown this weekend - want to see some of these developments up close!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Let's just build a couple mega, 2000 foot tall parking garages strategically around the city
That's... actually not a bad idea (to my limited experience). It would allow newer buildings to rent parking space as needed and reduce the cost of new buildings.

And... when the density picks up (and public transportation improves) it would allow us to tear some down.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 7:41 PM

I know we're way off topic here (apologies to 1018 W Peachtree ) but I recently saw a proposal from I think the 1960s to build huge parking garages around the outskirts of downtown Atlanta, and then not allow cars into the center. I can't find the image but I'll keep looking.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Let's just build a couple mega, 2000 foot tall parking garages strategically around the city - this will also have the added benefit of making some of the people on here who have a height complex on here happy - problem solved!

Gonna take a walk around midtown this weekend - want to see some of these developments up close!
It could be feasible if car elevators are a thing, I doubt people would want to drive up to 2000 feet.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 1:14 AM

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Lmfao!!!

I'm sorry Street - I was (mostly) kidding I promise!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
It could be feasible if car elevators are a thing, I doubt people would want to drive up to 2000 feet.
Lol can you imagine

The real answer to all our traffic problems is teleportation but theyve only accomplished that on the quantum level so far - so a ways to go there

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DependentSquirrel2 View Post
It's hard to believe that there will be another 22+ floors added on top of what we see so far in the image. I think this building (and this project) is going to have a bigger impact on the skyline in this area than we could have imagined!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
It's hard to believe that there will be another 22+ floors added on top of what we see so far in the image. I think this building (and this project) is going to have a bigger impact on the skyline in this area than we could have imagined!
And then the two Portman buildings across the street… this block is going to look awesome in 1.5/2 years

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 9:49 PM

About 14 more floors to go on the 37floor tower.. Both of these will have an awesome impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DependentSquirrel2 View Post
And then the two Portman buildings across the street… this block is going to look awesome in 1.5/2 years
Any clue what’s going on with the Portman office tower? I feel like it’s moving super slowly compared to everything else. Maybe I’m just being impatient

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobguy View Post
Any clue what’s going on with the Portman office tower? I feel like it’s moving super slowly compared to everything else. Maybe I’m just being impatient
It's moving at a decent pace actually. I believe it's up to the fourth level of parking. I imagine things will pick up in the spring once it hits the office floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta