HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 2:59 AM
BANNED

10 Bells for Blackie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Bravo. Interesting discovery. BLS'M Pondering this now. Base . . . line . . . standard. ???
Turn back the clock:

1915 - Modern Horse Drawn Equipment
http://www.lafire.com/stations/FS014...Ready_1500.jpg

Thanks Slauson Slim for reminding us of the good old days of LA.

Here we can see the way the firemen would harness the horses in a hurry. This would take less than a minute once the horses were brought from their stalls.

The harness was hung from the ceiling by ropes and a pulley system. The harness could be quickly lowered by the rope and pulley and attached to the horses for a fast gallop to the fire.

The LAFD had a reputation for always using the finest racing horses. Actually a special breed used with fire apparatus.

The famous Dalmatian dogs were used to keep the horses calm when quartered away from the fire and to keep local kids from stealing shiny things from the fire apparatus wagons.

One of the most recognized fire horses, “Blackie,” was a noted LAFD celebrity, appearing with school children and at events long after he retired. When he died of old age on November 6, 1939, all firehouses received the “ten bells” notification that a member of the department had passed away.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 26, 2015 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:12 AM

Oops. I thought I had posted something that had been missed.
Then after searching some more, I found that ethereal_reality beat me to it back on page 805.

In the words of W. C. Fields. "Drat!"

Last edited by Sakhal Nakhash; Feb 26, 2015 at 4:18 AM. Reason: Information was already posted.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakhal Nakhash View Post
Oops. I thought I had posted something that had been missed.
Then after searching some more, I found that ethereal_reality beat me to it back on page 805.

In the words of W. C. Fields. "Drat!"
Hey Sakhal, don't worry about it, just post it again. We all love to revisit the oldie goldies on NLA.

Welcome to the thread and I look forward to your posts.

Doug....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
yet another 'mystery' location.

old file/2010

All we can see of the prominent sign on the apartment building is "ADDEN". Could this be enough of a clue to figure out the location?

__
The Hotel McCadden was at 1720 N. McCadden Place from the 20s to the 50s. Nothing of interest is there today. So I agree the east-west street north of the hotel was Yucca.

I was wondering from what vantage point e_r's picture was taken. The -LAND puts the picture from 1923 to 1949, and the cars put it closer to the first date. I am guessing it was from the top of the (1922) Hollywood Drake Hotel, at 6724 Hollywood Bl. We should ask Xenu, perhaps.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:14 AM

The Vine Manor Hotel o

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6926128]Martin, the only hotel in Hollywood that I could think of with a courtyard like the one in your photograph is the Vine Manor Hotel on Vine.

The Vine Manor Hotel on the east side of Vine St. at Yucca St. (that's Hollywood & Vine in the distance), 1953.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/electr...n/photostream/

Wow Mister ethereal_reality, that's some impressively fancy-pants sleuthing there. It does look like it could be a match. Thanks so very, very much!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hey Sakhal, don't worry about it, just post it again. We all love to revisit the oldie goldies on NLA.

Welcome to the thread and I look forward to your posts.

Doug....
Thank you for the kind welcome CityBoyDoug.

I was going to post about the mummified fetuses found in the basement of the Glen-Donald apartments. I just happened on the article a couple of weeks ago.
I tried to search the thread, but as has been pointed out by others on here, searching this thread isn't as easy as it should be. I was looking for some old photos of the building and saw one, then noticed the link was back to this site.

I wrote in my original post before deleting it that I have been trying to get caught up since March of 2011, and so far I'm up to page 748. I've been averaging about 10 pages a day when I have the time, although at this rate I'll need to step it up.

I have been wanting to ask around on here, about someone my father told me he used to see in Hollywood back in the 70's.
He said he would often see an old timer all gussied up in some sort of dress uniform and medals standing on the corner of Hollywood and Vine. He would just stand there and salute the passing traffic.
I was too young to remember. I'm only in my mid 30's so my memories only go as far back as the early 80's.
I just read about ethereal_reality's aunt Ethel being a regular around Hollywood and Vine and it reminded me of who I've come to call the Admiral.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 2:51 PM

Quote:
I have been wanting to ask around on here, about someone my father told me he used to see in Hollywood back in the 70's.
He said he would often see an old timer all gussied up in some sort of dress uniform and medals standing on the corner of Hollywood and Vine. He would just stand there and salute the passing traffic.

General HersheyBar

Quote:
General Hershey Bar was a Hollywood local, he frequented the 180 and 181 RTD bus lines in the Los Angeles area during the time I was in Hollywood from 1976 to 1983. The General greeted everyone he saw with a hearty, “Good Morning, General!”https://theotherbrother.wordpress.co...l-hershey-bar/
https://theotherbrother.files.wordpr...hersheybar.jpg

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. King View Post
I might be wrong here, but it looks like it might be Train #58 (The Owl). The number '58' is above the Engineer's windshield, and is inbound to LA, because the leg of the wye onto the Montalvo Branch is on the left side.

Looking at the link provided to the SCVHS, brought back some names from my past. Mike Shuman, which was a docent with the SCVHS was my Jr High Principal at Placerita JHS.

Thanks.
You are correct C. King it is is train 58. I will correct my post. I was reading the number board on the fireman's side and it looked to me like a number 2.

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Feb 26, 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:47 PM

SPECTACULAR 1920s architectural tour of Hollywood!

Has this been posted here before? I just found it today, and it is a superb tour of the various architectural styles in Hollywood, from programmatic architecture to the wonderful Zwebell patio courtyard buildings... SO many places that have been discussed here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuCjQrGKPpU#t=16

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Thank you very much Tourmaline!
My father mentions him from time to time when we talk about the neighborhood.
I just emailed him the information you've provided, and I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it.

Again, thank you for making both of our days.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

General Hersheybar (aka Calypso Joe) is a satirical character of the Vietnam War-era protest movement, who parodied U.S. General Lewis B. Hershey, then Director of the Selective Service. He was usually seen partnered with General Waste More Land (aka Tom Dunphy), a parody of General William Westmoreland. The characters were common at street theater performances and demonstrations against U.S. military involvement in Vietnam. General Hersheybar would appear in a comical military uniform complete with a plastic toy fighter-jet attached to his "officer's cap" and hand out fliers promoting his satirical diatribe. In addition he self-published several monographs and booklets.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 8:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you for the kind welcome CityBoyDoug.

I was going to post about the mummified fetuses found in the basement of the Glen-Donald apartments. I just happened on the article a couple of weeks ago.
I tried to search the thread, but as has been pointed out by others on here, searching this thread isn't as easy as it should be. I was looking for some old photos of the building and saw one, then noticed the link was back to this site.

I wrote in my original post before deleting it that I have been trying to get caught up since March of 2011, and so far I'm up to page 748. I've been averaging about 10 pages a day when I have the time, although at this rate I'll need to step it up.

I was too young to remember. I'm only in my mid 30's so my memories only go as far back as the early 80's.
I just read about ethereal_reality's aunt Ethel being a regular around Hollywood and Vine and it reminded me of who I've come to call the Admiral.
Yes, there have been quite a few street characters in LA over the years.

One I well remember was Clown Man in 1970. He was dressed in a suit and wore huge white clown shoes. He would walk up and down Hollywood Blvd. on Saturday morning. He was a sight to behold.

Here is another street character of more recent vintage.

CD

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:23 PM

Oneonta Park/Junction, South Pasadena c.1910 [enlargement]

Huntington Archive

I also like that dark house in the distance on the left.

BRR posted a smaller image of the above photograph back in 2013 (along with some nice images of the Hotel Raymond)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16266

below: At first I wasn't sure this was the same station (the 'cupola' appears to have been doubled in height). Does anyone know if there was a remodel at some point in time?

old file / originally from Ralph Cantos Collection at http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...aPark-1949.jpg

It looks like the curtains are blowing through the open windows of the cupola.
(but I think they're just tattered awnings on the outside of the cuopla)

no date

Jack Finn collection at www.pacificelectric.org.

..and from the opposite direction. (showing the outside stairs leading up to the observation 'cupola')

Jack Finn Collection at http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...2/MP-00367.jpg

March 6, 1951

Alan Weeks photograph, Alan Weeks Collection at http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...endora-014.jpg

...and finally. ALL ABOARD!

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...37coll8/id/302

via Oak Knoll?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 27, 2015 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Oak Knoll St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Oneonta Park/Junction, South Pasadena c.1910 [enlargement]

below: At first I wasn't sure this was the same station (the 'cupola' looks like it's been doubled in height). Does anyone know if there was a remodel at some point in time?

old file / originally from Ralph Cantos Collection at http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...aPark-1949.jpg

It looks like curtains are blowing through the open windows of the cupola. (but I think they're just tattered awnings)
...and finally. ALL ABOARD!

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...37coll8/id/302

via Oak Knoll?

__
Oak Knoll runs mostly north and south through San Marino and Pasadena.

Its an upscale residential area. Most homes on the street are priced in the millions. The famous Huntington Hotel is located on this street. I've marked the path in green.

I used to drive my old '49 Chevy every day when I worked at the Academy Theater in Pasadena. Oak Knoll street has a lovely dream-like quality about it.

GMaps

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 27, 2015 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:19 AM

Gens. Hersheybar and Wastemoreland would also show up at the Griffith Park Love-Ins.

Wild Man Fischer was a well-known Hollywood street habitué too. My Name Is Larry.......

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the information on Oak Knoll CBD.

The M. C. Wentz Co., 780 South Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena CA.

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...37coll8/id/774

I was rooting for this clever little building built in 1945 (I would have guessed a good ten years later...around 1955).

...alas, it's been replaced by a Tuesday Morning store (with a fitness gym in the back)

GSV
__

I was going to end my post there, but I noticed, for some reason, the google-mobile drove through the parking lot and behind the building.
(maybe the driver was trying to see inside zumba class --

from the parking lot the building's character takes on a more industrial look, especially the windows.

detail

This window in the back facing the alley could possibly date from 1945.

detail

AND....on the opposite side of the building (the side that shows in the vintage photograph) I noticed this two step progression along the roof.

detail

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...37coll8/id/774

so....I'm pretty sure the 1945 building is still standing. Now wouldn't it have been totally cool if they had kept this design and worked with it.

p.s. -anyone know what the Wentz Company made?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, there have been quite a few street characters in LA over the years.
I vaguely recall seeing General Hershey bar in Hollywood.

Quote:
Here is another street character of more recent vintage.[/SIZE]

CD
I have also seen this guy on several occasions including recently. I don't know his backstory at all, but he is a very loving person. He is immaculately clean and one does actually feel some kind of spiritual aura around this guy as he offers hugs and promotes peace and love. He is also very tall. I am 6'5" and he's taller than I am.

Here he is in June, 2013, in West Hollywood, after the Supreme Court knocked down DOMA and Proposition 8.

Kevork Djansezian

In looking up this photo I discovered his name is Kevin Lee Light and known as the West Hollywood Jesus. He's described as an "actory guy" and was spied (at least once) on the series The Shahs of Sunset. There's a UK article about him unlikely being used in some hipster marketing. Lots of google info if you type in Kevin Lee Light and/or West Hollywood Jesus. Who knew?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:59 AM

My Mom worked as a checker at that Von's - 51st and So. Vermont - in the early to late ' 60s, later transferring to stores in South Bay.

See Post No. 16829, p. 842.

Last edited by Slauson Slim; Feb 27, 2015 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 1:23 AM

"Classical School for Boys, drilling, c.1891"

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhis...37coll8/id/167

The photographer was William H. Hill, and his practice was located in Pasadena.

The best clues to the location of this school is the large white barn in the background and the large mansion on the left, behind the tree. (as well as the house in the distance on the right).
__

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 5:34 AM

Los Angeles / unnamed street

BrerHair at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/

"What's up with the big white X?"

..also, what street is this?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 27, 2015 at 6:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos