HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 12:37 AM

Solar freakin roadways!

I think everyone should see this and think about it!
Video Link

Note, I'm not sure if this should be here, or in engineering.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 12:46 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Its already been debunked by a lot of scientists as infeasible... Watch the videos below that tear it apart....

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:39 AM

its 2014
what about the fucking flying cars!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 5:35 PM

did somebody say flying car?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSVkQ88eZPI

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 1:30 AM
BANNED

I can't take those videos seriously. Are there profession aka better formatted videos about solar panel roads out there?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:31 AM

I think this the whole notion of solar roadways an interesting case study in the debate of smart infrastructure vs smart vehicles. Almost every transportation system today uses smart infrastructure and dumb vehicles, meaning the infrastructure manages the flow of the system via some sort of central control. I'm talking about airport traffic controllers, rail dispatchers, highway and traffic light monitors, etc. There is logic in having one central location making all logistical decisions, because until now vehicles were 'dumb', ie unable to make big-picture decisions.
Until now.
With autonomously operated trains/planes/cars, each vehicle will be 'smart', ie able to understand all the traffic in a system and act in the most efficient way for all vehicles involved. Infrastructure would then be allowed to be 'dumb,' as in the infrastructure would not make any decisions for the vehicles, though it may double-check for safety.
In this scenario, the LED lights that designate lanes and give updated information to the drivers ect - would all be irrelivant.
I'm all for heated roads that do not need plowing, and I like the idea of creating power.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I can't take those videos seriously. Are there profession aka better formatted videos about solar panel roads out there?
Really whats wrong with them? The last one is abit more Geek originated. This idea reminds me of the Hyperloop last year...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
I think this the whole notion of solar roadways an interesting case study in the debate of smart infrastructure vs smart vehicles. Almost every transportation system today uses smart infrastructure and dumb vehicles, meaning the infrastructure manages the flow of the system via some sort of central control. I'm talking about airport traffic controllers, rail dispatchers, highway and traffic light monitors, etc. There is logic in having one central location making all logistical decisions, because until now vehicles were 'dumb', ie unable to make big-picture decisions.
Until now.
With autonomously operated trains/planes/cars, each vehicle will be 'smart', ie able to understand all the traffic in a system and act in the most efficient way for all vehicles involved. Infrastructure would then be allowed to be 'dumb,' as in the infrastructure would not make any decisions for the vehicles, though it may double-check for safety.
In this scenario, the LED lights that designate lanes and give updated information to the drivers ect - would all be irrelivant.
I'm all for heated roads that do not need plowing, and I like the idea of creating power.
You wouldn't be able to see the LED during the day unless they were covered like on Traffic lights or other signal systems... The amount of energy you would need to heat the panels to melt snow would be far greater then the amount generated by the panels.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation