HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
There is already a neighbourhood south of the university and north of the river. There is a one hour parking restriction. The length of the walk from this neighbourhood to most of the main campus buildings is already not worth it for most students to save a few dollars on an hour parking.
Two of the options (Henteleff and St. Amant) would already be closer walks to the main campus than from U Lot. One or two hour parking in the immediate areas around the bridge is the obvious solution, but I doubt that it will alleviate residents' concerns. People will complain about increased traffic from people dropping off friends/children/spouses at the bridge, etc.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:28 PM

Some U of Winnipeg content in this article.

University Affairs
February 6, 2012
The rise of downtown campuses

It may not let you forget all your troubles and cares, as Petula Clark once sang, but going downtown is proving popular for many universities.

by Claudio D’Andrea

[...]

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/upto...-downtown.aspx

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:14 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Some U of Winnipeg content in this article.

University Affairs
February 6, 2012
The rise of downtown campuses

It may not let you forget all your troubles and cares, as Petula Clark once sang, but going downtown is proving popular for many universities.

by Claudio D’Andrea

[...]

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/upto...-downtown.aspx
very nice.

The location of UoM Fort Garry campus is dreadful... south winnipeg in general is suburban and devoid of any charm

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:25 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
very nice.

The location of UoM Fort Garry campus is dreadful... south winnipeg in general is suburban and devoid of any charm
Agreed. Enough suburbs, more towers!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:27 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Seems to me that 'resident only' parking passes and 1hr parking restrictions during the daytime hours would work. Not to mention in the areas around the stadium too.

Or the residents could just key the student's cars like mine got keyed near Seven Oaks Hospital in a neighbourhood with NO parking restrictions of any kind listed.
Should key those residents windows man. What gives them the fucking right to damage private property (your car)? Thats just ridiculous

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:05 AM

Construction started on a $46 Million Dollar Active Living Centre at the UofM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...173737081.html

Video at
http://www.chrisd.ca/2012/10/11/univ...-construction/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Should key those residents windows man. What gives them the fucking right to damage private property (your car)? Thats just ridiculous
Wow, I just saw this response today (two years later?).
Yeah, no kidding. The incident is long behind me now, but I was conjuring / scheming of ways to catch the culprit in the act after the second keying happened. There were NO parking restriction signs, nothing. It is a public street, public property. I pay taxes (at all three levels), and I had a right to park there.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:51 PM

don't forget Université de St Boniface (has about as many students as U Brandon) and Red River College (about as many students as U of W and a 3rd campus underway)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

I thought RRC had more students than UofW.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I thought RRC had more students than UofW.
UofW just surpassed 11 000 for the first time this year. It has some pretty good growth as of late. Give it a few years/decades and it will be a fierce competator with UofM.

Interesting thought here, with the amount of Post-Secondary options in the city, I wonder if Winnipeg could be akin to New England one day (obviously not Elite wise) but just known as a National draw to Post-Secondary students?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

Interesting thought here, with the amount of Post-Secondary options in the city, I wonder if Winnipeg could be akin to New England one day (obviously not Elite wise) but just known as a National draw to Post-Secondary students?
Probably not . I say this because I'm in China and pretty much every city here has a hundred universities . I'm not exaggerating either . There are literally universities everywhere .
I know it's a different system and all that but the number of universities by itself doesn't seem to have any effect at all on a city's standing as an education hub . There are still nationally renowned universities in China despite having a million to choose from . People still clamor to go to the best if they can get in .

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:20 AM
What could go wrong?

I'm not 100% sure but I think RRC has about 26,000 students.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:25 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think RRC has about 26,000 students.
Maybe 26 000 FTE students, but when I was there (2009), they have 40 000 individual students.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
UofW just surpassed 11 000 for the first time this year. It has some pretty good growth as of late. Give it a few years/decades and it will be a fierce competator with UofM.

I doubt U of W will ever be a serious competitor with the U of M, as they specialize in different areas (one's a medical doctoral school, the other's primarily undergrad focused). But in terms of attracting general arts (and maybe eventually science) undergrad students, for sure...

In terms of your other point, I'm not sure why Winnipeg would be any different than other cities in the country... Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc. all have multiple Universities and colleges (most of them already more renowned than ours' anyway)...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I doubt U of W will ever be a serious competitor with the U of M, as they specialize in different areas (one's a medical doctoral school, the other's primarily undergrad focused). But in terms of attracting general arts (and maybe eventually science) undergrad students, for sure...

In terms of your other point, I'm not sure why Winnipeg would be any different than other cities in the country... Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc. all have multiple Universities and colleges (most of them already more renowned than ours' anyway)...
I don't know why I thought that. Just the various options for one city seem pretty good here. I think we should really capitalize on having d'universitaire de st. Boniface though. Having a French University is a great thing, and they are currently expanding as well.

There just seems to be a lot of diversity among our schools.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 3:35 PM

RRC is building a third campus? I know about the Notre Dame one and the "Exchange District" campus that includes the Princess St building, the new food institute, and likely the eventually redevelopment of the Public Safety Building.

As of U of W expanding to compete with the U of M, unless Government policy changes that will not happen. All three public schools must follow direction given by the Government and the current policy is all program expansions cannot be in direct competition with any of the other Winnipeg schools. This means, for example, that while RRC can grant degrees they are not able to offer a nursing degree. It also means that U of W cannot start a program in Fine Arts even though it would seem to be better located for that than U of M. U of M in turn cannot start creative writing program which the U of W offers.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 8:04 PM

I just got this email. I thought this building was already occupied.

Red River College is now taking applications for the January 2013 opening of the Exchange District Campus (EDC) Residence, located in the Paterson Global Foods Institute (PGI) located at 504 Main Street. Both single and double rooms are available with furniture including a single bed, desk, desk, chair, file cabinet, microwave, and mini or full fridge depending on the room. Common area lounges have feature wireless internet and all rooms have a wired network internet connection.

For more information on the features of the residence, check out the website at www.rrc.ca/campusliving.

For more information on how to apply, contact RRC’s Campus Living Office at residence@rrc.ca or 204.631.3371 or drop by the Campus Living Office located in the Massey Building in the Exchange District Campus at 294 William Avenue between 8:30 and 4:30.

Campus Living
Red River College

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
This means, for example, that while RRC can grant degrees they are not able to offer a nursing degree.
There is a nursing degree program at RRC.

http://me.rrc.mb.ca/Catalogue/Progra...gCode=NURBF-DG

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:46 PM

Snowy day, but I can see...

Couple University-related updates:

Construction of the 5th floor of the Wallace Building (vertical expansion) has finally been completed, and my research group is in the process of moving into our new space. There is a public open house on Monday March 18th from 2:30 - 4:30, if anyone is interested in seeing the new space, and learning about Arctic research.

From my new window, I can see that a tower crane is going up for the Active Living Centre. Wonderful day for it...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:51 PM

Brandon University Gym expansion

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan