HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 10:14 PM
The Man

Speaking of planes that look like they're going really fast. The Bell X-15, fastest manned aircraft of all time. 4,519 mph (7,273 km/h for you wierd ass metric types ) on October 3, 1967.

The thing looks like (and basically is) a missle with a cockpit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-15

http://hubpages.com/hub/To-Chemtrail...-You-Dont-Know

http://www.members.tripod.com/airfie..._CA_Mojave.htm

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 2:05 AM

Lightbulb

The Boeing DC-3 was by far the most popular plane ever built. 16,079 Douglas DC3, Lisunov Li-2, and Mitsubishi-Kinsei L2D2-L2D5 were built. It's nearest competitor is the Boeing 737, with over 6,000 built, another 2,000 on order, with over 4,500 still in service, and at any given time there are an average of 1,250 737s airborne worldwide.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 7:11 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
The Boeing DC-3 was by far the most popular plane ever built. 16,079 Douglas DC3, Lisunov Li-2, and Mitsubishi-Kinsei L2D2-L2D5 were built. It's nearest competitor is the Boeing 737, with over 6,000 built, another 2,000 on order, with over 4,500 still in service, and at any given time there are an average of 1,250 737s airborne worldwide.

Video Link
Boeing DC-3?

Really?

I guess I can understand putting the MD-80, MD-90 and MD-11 that were still manufactured after the merger under the Boeing umbrella but the DC-3?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 8:32 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Boeing DC-3?
Really?
I guess I can understand putting the MD-80, MD-90 and MD-11 that were still manufactured after the merger under the Boeing umbrella but the DC-3?
No, it is not a Boeing DC3.
Yes, it's hard to argue with over 10,600 Douglas DC3s being built, plus another 5,000 built to the DC3 design.

McDonnell/Douglas built 79 DC4s (26 still in service), 12 DC5s, 700+ DC6 (49 still in service), 338 DC7 (40 still in service), 556 DC8s (97 still in service), 976 DC9s (216 still in service), 446 DC10s (223 still in service), 1,191 MD 80s, 116 MD 90s, and 200 MD-11s.

You can add all the other McDonnell/Douglas commercial aircraft together and still not meet the numbers of DC3s built.

In comparison, there's still hundreds of DC3s flying today after 70 years of service. The DC3 first flew on December 17, 1935 (the 32nd anniversary of the Wright Brothers' flight at Kitty Hawk).

Last edited by electricron; Dec 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 10:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Boeing DC-3?

Really?

I like DC-3 as well, the most famous Douglas all time, but according this http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_MD-11 and like I know MD-11 is not produced since long time to passengers, maybe only frighters if so. The MD-80 & 90 were merged together to be the Boeing B717 if still produced. But maybe you know more.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:31 PM
Martian

Is there a fighter jet currently in existence (or rather commissioned existence) that can match the F-22?

How about this overly off-topic question - USAF vs. all the other AFs of the world combined, who do you think would win?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 7:29 PM
BANNED

^no there isn't. this is the most modern until now.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22
Vergleichbare Typen [Bearbeiten]
Im engeren Sinne gibt es momentan kein Militärflugzeug, welches man gegenüber der F-22 als „vergleichbar“ einstufen könnte, da aktuell keine andere Maschine ein derart leistungsfähiges Radar, umfassende Stealtheigenschaften, hochintegrierte Avionik, Supercruise und hohe Wendigkeit miteinander verbindet. In der folgenden Liste sind Maschinen angegeben, welche zumindest in einem dieser Aspekte grob mit der F-22 vergleichbar sind, Bomber ausgenommen.

F-22 vor der Küste Virginias

Vereinigte Staaten: EU: Russland:Einige sich derzeit in der Entwicklung befindende Projekte weisen verschiedenen Konstruktionsmerkmale auf, welche stark an die F-22 erinnern. Allerdings ist die grundsätzliche Realisierung dieser Projekte unklar, sowie eine Leistungseinordnung derzeit noch nicht möglich.
Japan: Südkorea: Russland:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 8:02 PM
BANNED

What about those?

An-225

LUN Ekranoplan

But i like the Hercules H-1 as well, if would be today with 6 Jets would be a much better success. The problem was only Engines technology.

Of course this is the best 747

http://www.flugrevue.de/fm/3/thumbna....jpg.19303.jpg

Some Beriev:

Be-200 A-42
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3366/...201a8fc853.jpg

And what about those:

Of course i did not forget B-52
http://everamazing.blogspot.com/2009...aftplanes.html

Last edited by M.K.; Dec 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 10:18 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

agreed with the previous comments re: A346, one of the most graceful/stunning passenger planes flying today.

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/ima...9/26/25120.jpg

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/ima...-8/31/6810.jpg

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/ima...2/10/10391.jpg

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 6:29 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.K. View Post
Such a badass plane.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Such a badass plane.
I grew up on an Air Force base where a couple squadrons of B-1Bs are based. I was 3 years old when the very first B-1B was delivered and I actually remember watching it land because the noise scared the piss out of me... literally. Needless to say, the B-1B has always been one of my favorite planes. It looks like a fighter jet flying in the sky and is incredible when it breaks the sound barrier, but it's amazing how big it is when you stand next to it. Hard to imagine something that big can go that fast while carrying more than 65 tons worth of weaponry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-1_Lancer

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 1:23 AM

This picture is badass... and loud. I kind of hope the photographer had some ear plugs kind of like these people.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 3:04 AM
Show me the blueprints

These props built by Bombardier are pretty sharp. Anyone know the model?

link

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 2:15 AM
Here we stAy

Last edited by ltsmotorsport; Dec 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 11:39 AM
Meh

World's fastest helicopter vs world's fastest train.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 11:22 PM
Meh

An Antonov An-225 Mriya taking off from Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 2:20 AM

Wow! What a beautiful shots! I am really like it lots. It's huge and it's big! I never seen that before.

Why it was short takeoff from MSP? I thought they didn't have a long takeoff?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:48 AM

If anyone here wants to see a lot more aircraft photos, check out FM Forums/City, Street and Architecture/Mustangs, Air to Air...The Sequel. We have the largest aviation related forum thread on the world wide web at 4215 pages in length. Planes from all eras all the way up to the Space Shuttle, F22 Raptor and the F35 Lightning. And with very few exceptions, it is all original work, not something copied from Wikipedia or some random search. I do believe that some of the photos posted here are posted by the original photographer themselves, but making a quick scan through this thread tells me that most are copied from other sources, and are not original to the person posting it. I am not trying to criticize anyone here, just merely pointing out a bunch of avid aviation photographers who have become a family of sorts posting their images for the rest of us to enjoy.

Here is the direct link to it below.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 3:12 PM

Concorde fans hope to get jet airborne by 2019

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34301689

Quote:
Club Concorde, made up of former captains, charterers and aviation fans, says it has £120m in reserve for the "return to flight" plan. The group also plans to put another of the supersonic aircraft on permanent display in central London. Concorde, which can travel at twice the speed of sound, last flew in 2003.

Negotiations are now under way to try to purchase or lease the two aircraft. Club Concorde president Paul James said they were hoping to source both the display and flight jets from France but no agreements had yet been made. ---"We have been overwhelmed by the amount of enthusiasm and people wanting to invest," Mr James said. "The support shows how much people still admire Concorde and want to see it flying again. --- "The plane we would like to get in the air is at Le Bourget in Paris. We had wanted to lease and restore a British Airways Concorde for display in London - next to the London Eye - but this has not been possible, so again we are looking to France and a Concorde near Orly airport."

After restoration the plane would be used at airshows, for special events and private charter, Mr James said. Mr James said he was confident a plane would be secured and hoped flights would start by 2019 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Concorde's first flight. --- Club Concorde's plan started after the group raised £40m to try to display a jet on London's South Bank close to the London Eye. "It is a global icon," Mr James said. "All the authorities have been very keen on our idea to bring Concorde to the river as a tourist attraction and London Eye have agreed we could share their landing stage." --- The group still also needs to secure planning permission but Mr James said they were aiming to have the attraction up and running by 2017 before looking to open a similar display in Paris.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation