HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years Will Be.....
740,000 or less 40 23.39%
740,000-750,000 26 15.20%
750,000-760,000 24 14.04%
760,000 or more 81 47.37%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 4:35 PM
What could go wrong?

802 sounds good. I hope to see us reach a million in my lifetime.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I personally know 2 families (mid 40's with 2 kids each) moving to BC, 1 going to victoria, other going nanaimo area. similar jobs to here (IT, finance) and house prices are not that far off from what they have here. low $400k. this past winter did them in and this summer mosquitos and general not happy with Peg city. so our immigrant population is growing, but others are leaving.
A buddy just retired from Victoria to Nanaimo, sold his modest house for $700K and bought one for $400K.

It is known locally as "cashing out". He did it twice before - once from from Van to Surrey, then from Surrey to Vic.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:04 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There are some huge numbers for several cities, though... they have Calgary at almost 1.4 million and Toronto close to 6 million!
Those numbers are both correct though. Last year, Calgary's CMA was 1 365 000 and Toronto's was 5 959 000. A lot of those numbers do seem out of whack though, specifically KWC and St. Catherines Nigara.

Interesting to see Winnipeg sneeking up on 800 000 so quick though

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Hey Chadillaccc did you notice that Western Canada outpaced Eastern Canada in population growth. I'm not talking about percentage growth either as that's been happening for awhile. In terms of absolute numbers, the west outpaced the east by 40,000 or so (I did quick calculations so my numbers might be a touch off).

We need to let the good folks on the Canada population thread know about this!
haha I did notice that! But it's never a great thing to post such things on the Canada Section, a couple easterners might have a logic error induced aneurysm.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Those numbers are both correct though. Last year, Calgary's CMA was 1 365 000 and Toronto's was 5 959 000. A lot of those numbers do seem out of whack though, specifically KWC and St. Catherines Nigara.

Interesting to see Winnipeg sneeking up on 800 000 so quick though
For the longest time it seemed as though population growth in Winnipeg stalled completely... for over 20 years we were in the 600,000 range (with a year or two of decreases) before finally cracking 700,000. Getting from there to 800,000 will have taken roughly half as long.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:10 PM
ARTchitecture

800 000 is a great milestone. With that, hopefully it will take half as long again, to reach 900 000. Accelerating returns if you will

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:00 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I personally know 2 families (mid 40's with 2 kids each) moving to BC, 1 going to victoria, other going nanaimo area. similar jobs to here (IT, finance) and house prices are not that far off from what they have here. low $400k. this past winter did them in and this summer mosquitos and general not happy with Peg city. so our immigrant population is growing, but others are leaving.
It's interesting where "anecdotal" evidence will lead you. I work in nursing and I see the request for transfers come by my desk and by and far the greatest outflux is from BC east (mostly AB). But in general, we have more coming to MB from BC than the other way. Their health care industry is being hacked and so many health care providers are leaving BC.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
It's interesting where "anecdotal" evidence will lead you. I work in nursing and I see the request for transfers come by my desk and by and far the greatest outflux is from BC east (mostly AB). But in general, we have more coming to MB from BC than the other way. Their health care industry is being hacked and so many health care providers are leaving BC.
Very astute observation. I tend to want to here both sides of a discussion or situation before I decide which way I may lean. In my personal circle of acquaintances, anecdotal, in the last 6 months 2 lifers from BC and Alberta have both returned to Winnipeg to pursue other opportunities?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:18 PM

http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a47

Here's the most recent stats from Statistics Canada. Manitoba is still losing more people to western provinces than it is gaining back. Your anecdotal evidence is true though, there are still people moving to Manitoba, just not as frequently as those moving out.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:07 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^^^ Link no worky.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wait we broke 800k pop???
also looks like 71 people answered this poll corectly from 2009... outa 160 interesting...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wait we broke 800k pop???
also looks like 71 people answered this poll corectly from 2009... outa 160 interesting...
Oh no! I lost!

As someone who sold drugs in both provinces (in the Pharmaceutical industry, thank you very much!) I can definitely say that Manitoba has the better Pharmacare system. So I can understand why healthcare workers are moving out east. For the record, Ontario has the BEST Pharmacare network.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 6:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

huh?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 7:25 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 1:44 PM

why is selkirk not a part of the cma?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:00 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Because it has nothing to do with proximity. It's about who works where. Basically, if 50%+ of the population of any jurisdiction works in and therefore commutes to some other jurisdiction every day then they're all counted together as part of a CMA. That's why Mississauga isn't part of the Toronto CMA nor is Oshawa despite the fact that they're all part of one contiguous city.

In this case it comes down to the fact that Selkirk isn't a bedroom community but rather has enough industry of its own such that more than half of the workers need not leave to go to Winnipeg every morning for work.

Last edited by Spocket; Aug 18, 2014 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It doesn't meet the Stats Can criteria:

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...geo009-eng.cfm

"To be included in the CMA or CA, other adjacent municipalities must have a high degree of integration with the core, as measured by commuting flows derived from previous census place of work data."

"Forward commuting flow rule: Given a minimum of 100 commuters, at least 50% of the employed labour force living in the CSD works in the delineation core (see following note), as determined from commuting data based on the place of work question in the previous census."

"Reverse commuting flow rule: Given a minimum of 100 commuters, at least 25% of the employed labour force working in the CSD lives in the delineation core as determined from commuting data based on the place of work question in the previous census. "

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 7:34 PM
I am a typical

Mississauga is in Toronto's CMA. Oshawa isn't, not because it doesn't apply (it actually does, now) but because once a CMA is created, it can't be downgraded, dissolved, or merged into another CMA.

Selkirk isn't part of Winnipeg's CMA because too many people who live in Selkirk don't work in Winnipeg's CMA.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 10:09 PM

thanks for answer

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:12 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Mississauga is in Toronto's CMA. Oshawa isn't, not because it doesn't apply (it actually does, now) but because once a CMA is created, it can't be downgraded, dissolved, or merged into another CMA.

Selkirk isn't part of Winnipeg's CMA because too many people who live in Selkirk don't work in Winnipeg's CMA.
Yeah, you're right. I got confused with the fact that it's not actually within the Toronto city boundaries. I still remember when it was all separate cities.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 3:54 AM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
I win.

Edit: Can't believe it's been five years. I swear I posted this yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan