HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
One might consider capturing heat from mechanical linkages in the hydro plant as a secondary means of heating water to create more power from the existing source... Viable maybe?
Love the thinking, but a better option in my opinion is using that heat to brace greenhouses/grow-ops. I know a group who is proposing this in Saskatchewan.

On the subject of Hydro, it's one of the few things I support the NDP in. I strongly believe building the capacity and developing a culture of power generation in the province will greatly offset price increases for domestic consumers in the long run. That said, I also think Manitoba is the perfect jurisdiction for nuclear power generation (e.g. Local supply, water resources, stable craton, etc.). I know we will NEVER see it, though. Too bad.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:39 PM

Province pushes potash
Royalties could earn Manitoba $2 billion

The Selinger government is about to invite the world's potash producers to sink their machines into a western Manitoba mine that could generate $2 billion worth of royalties for the province over the course of 40 years.

After decades of poking around the Russell-McAuley potash deposit, a mineral formation located below Manitoba's western edge, the province is serious about attracting interest in developing a mine.

The Potash Corporation of Manitoba is preparing to issue letters to major mining-industry players -- including Canadian potash companies Agrium, Mosaic and Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan -- to gather expressions of interest in developing a $3-billion to $4-billion Russell-McAuley mine.

Slightly more than one billion tonnes of potash are estimated to lie 800 metres to one kilometre below ground in the 2,247-square-kilometre Russell-McAuley deposit, which the province claims is comparable in quality and mining conditions to similar deposits across the Saskatchewan border, where Agrium, Mosaic and Potash Corp. operate mines.

Con't..http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...268224642.html

We've always known it's been there. Will prevailing market conditions make it viable in the long term? Who knows.
At least there is some forward movement on this front. (slow clap, for our provincial government)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:51 PM

LOL love the slow clap.

Good news that something is trying to happen. Potash is so up and down, even K + S and Jansen have been on and off for years. And seeing as those will be the only potash mines built in Sask over the last half century, we wont see anything in Manitoba for a long while I suspect.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 6:12 PM

No disagreement BJ. It could happen /never happen, well unless the worlds economy makes it viable.

I just try to glean the positives and try to enjoy the moment when our provincial government gets off their collectives asses and moves in the right direction when it comes to mineral/resource development and exploration in the province.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
LOL love the slow clap.

Good news that something is trying to happen. Potash is so up and down, even K + S and Jansen have been on and off for years. And seeing as those will be the only potash mines built in Sask over the last half century, we wont see anything in Manitoba for a long while I suspect.
Vale is planning a potash mine SE of Regina as well and its pretty far along in the process as far as I know. Potash isn't doing great at the moment but its only a matter of time until the prices are back up, as the global population grows and climate change effects how we grow food. I think Manitoba could benefit very soon from their probably potash reserves.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:45 PM

I think it will be a tough sell in the medium term. It is just bad timing. They should have done this years ago. Now there are so many projects, greenfield and brownfield, in Sask that there is probably no room for any more right now. Some of the Sask project have had hundreds of millions of dollars spent on them already and they are still at risk of being mothballed.

Sask Projects:

BHP, Jansen
Vale, Kronau
Yancoal
K+S, Bethune
Rio Tinto, Sedley
Western, Kronau
Encanto, Punnichy
Karnalyte, Wynyard
PotashCorp Mosaic and Agrium all have multiple brownfield expansions in various states of progress.

There are probably more.

They would probably have to offer huge royalty breaks which would defeat the purpose.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 8:13 PM

Yeah, I've been involved on a number of the projects listed above. One day, they're going to make trillions. The next day, the sky has fallen and everyones going to hell. Even sites like Jansen, where they've spent half a billion, and it's still not 100% a go no matter what the press says. They could shut that site down and never come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
No disagreement BJ. It could happen /never happen, well unless the worlds economy makes it viable.

I just try to glean the positives and try to enjoy the moment when our provincial government gets off their collectives asses and moves in the right direction when it comes to mineral/resource development and exploration in the province.
Ya, I agree. They're late to the game, like others have said unfortunately..

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've been involved on a number of the projects listed above.

Ya, I agree. They're late to the game, like others have said unfortunately..
Never realized you were so involved in so many high profile mining projects in Sask. interesting.

This could definitely be the case, too little too late. We'll see what the future holds.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 11:58 PM

I work on a lot of projects spread over mb and sk. But hey, at least they're talking about it
Gets everything moving

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 PM
Mooderator

Brandon airport is getting an upgrade... announcement coming this afternoon..

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Brandon airport is getting an upgrade... announcement coming this afternoon..
Interesting...this is the first I've heard of it.

From the Brandon Sun:

Quote:
The airport terminal redevelopment is a nearly $9 million project, with the city and the province having already agreed to pay one-third of the cost each.

The project would expand the McGill Field airport terminal building to three times its current size, to better accommodate and encourage the daily air service currently provided by WestJet, as well as boost the chances for accommodating future flight expansion.

Included in the plans are a dedicated check-in area, spacious boarding lounge, additional space for security screening, separate arrivals area, new baggage carousel and improved network connectivity via fibre-optic installation.
Existing terminal:

For those unfamiliar with YBR, it was without scheduled service by major carriers for quite a number of years (apart from a few very short-lived trial runs). Until Westjet Encore started daily Calgary service last year, the terminal hadn't seen regular service to out-of-province destinations since Canadian Airlines pulled out in 1989.

I guess the WestJet Encore service must be working if the terminal is going to be expanded. I wonder if another destination will be added? Perhaps Winnipeg, or even Toronto (with a stop along the way in Thunder Bay)?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:03 PM
Mooderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting...this is the first I've heard of it.
2:45 pm, Esquire time.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:38 PM
Transit Nerd

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...-popular-views

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Selkirk set to boast new hotel
Among major new tenants in growing power centre
COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE By: Murray McNeill
Posted: 10/28/2013 1:00 AM

Quote:
Another hotel chain is about to enter the Manitoba market.
Canalta Hotels, a 35-year-old, family-owned company that operates 38 hotels in Alberta and Saskatchewan, has a new 84-room hotel under construction in the Selkirk Crossing retail power centre on the western outskirts of Selkirk.
A spokesman for the power centre's developer -- Winnipeg's Shindico Realty Inc. -- said the hotel is scheduled to open next summer and is Canalta's first in Manitoba.
But others could soon follow.
"We're working with them on (finding) other locations in Manitoba," John Pearson, a broker with Shindico, said in an interview. "They're very interested in Manitoba."
Pearson wouldn't say if Canalta is limiting its search to rural centres, or if it's also looking for development sites in Winnipeg. A spokesman for the company, which also operates hotels under the Super 8, Travelodge and Ramada Inn & Suites banners, was unavailable for comment.
Canalta isn't the only major new tenant coming to Selkirk Crossing. Real Canadian Superstore finally appears close to starting work on its long-awaited big-box grocery store, which had been in the works since before the last global recession.
"We've been advised it will be starting in the near future," Pearson said, noting the Superstore property is already serviced and ready for development.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:35 PM

The CWB is building a third grain elevator near Pasqua, Sask

CWB doing remarkably well since it's monopsony ended. 2016 is the deadline for privatization.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...ce=d-more-news

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:13 PM

CWB has some pretty aggressive plans for the next number of years. It's going to be really interesting to see how the whole grain business does. There's a huge number of expansions and new facilities coming online over the next year or two.

I can count about 50 facilities off the top of my head that are new or expansions; with almost a 50/50 split between new and expansions. Almost seems like an over saturation of terminals for farmers to choose from. This doesn't include any of the other existing facilities that aren't doing anything. That being said, will the railways be able to service these terminals as outlined in their agreements. We'll see how it goes this winter.

Does anybody know if all the grain from last harvest was shipped? Or are there still piles sitting around everywhere? That grain has got to be rotten by now.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
CWB has some pretty aggressive plans for the next number of years. It's going to be really interesting to see how the whole grain business does. There's a huge number of expansions and new facilities coming online over the next year or two.

I can count about 50 facilities off the top of my head that are new or expansions; with almost a 50/50 split between new and expansions. Almost seems like an over saturation of terminals for farmers to choose from. This doesn't include any of the other existing facilities that aren't doing anything. That being said, will the railways be able to service these terminals as outlined in their agreements. We'll see how it goes this winter.

Does anybody know if all the grain from last harvest was shipped? Or are there still piles sitting around everywhere? That grain has got to be rotten by now.
21 million tonnes of the record 75 million tonne crop is expected to be carried over. Very little of that should be rotten if stored properly.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:54 PM

Stats Canada has published some population projections for the next 25 years.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...7a-eng.htm?HPA

Here's the numbers for Manitoba and Saskatchewan:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-520-...n03-eng.htm#a9

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:28 PM

I do not really understand this about Manitoba:

Quote:
The two main factors in Manitoba’s population growth would be international migratory increase—the highest rates in Canada in most scenarios—and natural increase, in that order. However, the province is projected to sustain losses in its migration exchanges with the rest of the country in every scenario.
Why would Manitoba be tops in international migration but perform poorly in interprovincial migration?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post

Why would Manitoba be tops in international migration but perform poorly in interprovincial migration?
Pretty sure that's been the case for quite a while. People move to Alberta and Sask for oil money, but we get lots of international immigrants.

Manitoba has a very good immigration program, but I believe the federal government is changing that.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post

Good question, I think a lot of it would have to do with the average cost of living combined with lifestyle. Homes are generally more affordable there, young qualified (post-secondary degree/diploma) workers born and raised in MB are migrating out of province for employment where the lucrative jobs are (Alberta, SK), retired folk are headed for BC. All the low skill jobs left behind are available to new and recent Canadians that don't have their credentials in order yet? This is my uneducated guess only.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan