HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 1:38 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Oh look! Setbacks! Curvy street-like things! Open space! Lego trees!

*sigh*
I'm equally unimpressed by this rendering. Some real height, real mainstreet treatment for Bank, and a real street-grid could be introduced here. Hopefully the land owners have that much sense when they redevelop.

Also, there was a suggestion in the study for the CPD that all of Riverside could have been moved up to join the south (eastbound) branch. This could have been one part of the city with REAL riverfront development. Of course that option was rejected. I am unsure of the rationalization for its rejection.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I'm equally unimpressed by this rendering. Some real height, real mainstreet treatment for Bank, and a real street-grid could be introduced here. Hopefully the land owners have that much sense when they redevelop.

Also, there was a suggestion in the study for the CPD that all of Riverside could have been moved up to join the south (eastbound) branch. This could have been one part of the city with REAL riverfront development. Of course that option was rejected. I am unsure of the rationalization for its rejection.
I believe it came down to two things:

1) Pedestrian difficulty crossing all the turn lanes, as opposed to two 3-lane roadways. Not that I buy the argument, as a careful design can be made even with a 4-lane cross-street.

2) Capacity issues on Riverside. Again, I don't buy it. It should be designed as a parkway, hence they should make an effort in careful design. Trucks should be banned from Heron to Industrial on Riverside as well.

Another possible reason for not developing the riverfront might be due to flooding issues.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 2:59 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Oh look! Setbacks! Curvy street-like things! Open space! Lego trees!

*sigh*
I also can't help but notice that Billings Bridge Plaza is all but gone in that render.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I also can't help but notice that Billings Bridge Plaza is all but gone in that render.
I noticed the same thing...the only thing that remains is the Zellers. I thought they wanted to incorporate a newly renovated mall into this plan. Also 16 storey (50m) buildings along Bank Street is 'low' in my opinion, especially when it won't be shadowing residential homes or parks. Plus there is already some taller buildings on the east side of Bank St at Riverside. Further - 70m which is roughly 22 storeys along the transit corridor could easily be increased to 25-30 storeys, especially if the city wants to encourage Transit-Oriented Development (which is the whole idea of this plan isn't it!).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:59 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKpa View Post
EMC news article on Bank Street Community Design Plan: http://www.emcottawaeast.ca/20120308...rian%27s+dream

This plan misses out on such an obvious, hit-in-the-head opportunity: Move the transit station closer to Bank Street, maybe even right above it. The only reason it is so far in is room needed for BRT and because it serviced the mall directly. Removing the mall makes it senseless for transit to be so remote from the main street. Shifting the station east, they could even add an extra BRT stop closer to the RA Centre and move the bus layover facilities there

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Mar 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
This plan misses out on such an obvious, hit-in-the-head opportunity: Move the transit station closer to Bank Street, maybe even right above it. The only reason it is so far in is room needed for BRT and because it serviced the mall directly. Removing the mall makes it senseless for transit to be so remote from the main street. Shifting the station east, they could even add an extra BRT stop closer to the RA Centre and move the bus layover facilities there
I agree with that, it would better serve the high-density areas in the NE and SE quadrants as well as what was Billings Bridge Plaza. I would also add a pedestrian signal about mid-block between Kilborn and the Transitway entrance, which could also act as a speed check (so often cars are speeding up and down that hill but forced to slow down for safety ahead, that short stretch operates much faster than the 50 km/h speed limit outside of rush hour).

They could just move the bus layover into what is now the station. There would be two sets of local stops - on Bank Street (Route 1) and at the entrance (all other local routes). The loop would remain at the east end, with the main stops at the edge of the loop (a new turn would allow Routes 112 and 148 to drive off, while all other routes can turn around - Route 5 would have to exit via Data Centre as a left turn onto Bank would not be possible).

Route 1 would remain on Bank Street and not enter Billings Bridge at all, but with the close-in development, it would be more beneficial with a straighter trip. An extra stop could be provided near the Transitway access if safe to do so as well.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 9:22 PM

Regarding the rendering, the article described intensification of Billings Bridge as part of what is planned "in the next 20 years", so a lot could change in how its built.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:28 PM
Busy Beaver

Here's a quick sketch of what I wish would be done:

By removing the confusing split of Riverside Drive, the intersection could be simplified and the waterfront liberated for a riverside promenade, possibly a restaurant row with unique pavilion-like buildings.
detail-online.com, Brisbane, Australia
It would be similar to doing what they did to the Ottawa River Parkway when they built the War Museum.

A higher bridge could be built to allow the current pathway to go underneath. A simple road loop can service the commercial area, which could resemble what is proposed for Lansdowne.

East of the bridge there could be a small dock and put in for canoes and kayaks — right by the headquarters of Canoe Kayak Canada

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:42 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Here's a quick sketch of what I wish would be done:

By removing the confusing split of Riverside Drive, the intersection could be simplified and the waterfront liberated for a riverside promenade, possibly a restaurant row with unique pavilion-like buildings.
detail-online.com, Brisbane, Australia
It would be similar to doing what they did to the Ottawa River Parkway when they built the War Museum.

A higher bridge could be built to allow the current pathway to go underneath. A simple road loop can service the commercial area, which could resemble what is proposed for Lansdowne.

East of the bridge there could be a small dock and put in for canoes and kayaks — right by the headquarters of Canoe Kayak Canada
Great work! That's exactly how I would like to see it. You're just missing two things:

1) Pedestrian bridge over the rail tracks between Ohio street and the high-density mixed-use area.

2) There should be retail frontage (perhaps at the base of condo towers) along Data Centre Road. This would most likely be where the more neighbourhood focused retail might go.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Great work! That's exactly how I would like to see it. You're just missing two things:

1) Pedestrian bridge over the rail tracks between Ohio street and the high-density mixed-use area.

2) There should be retail frontage (perhaps at the base of condo towers) along Data Centre Road. This would most likely be where the more neighbourhood focused retail might go.
A couple other things:

- I would have a mid-block pedestrian crossing (signalized) on Bank going down the hill, especially with the station relocated. That would slow down traffic on Bank.

- Where would the local buses layover at Billings Bridge Station? A local platform is necessary since a lot of routes terminate there. Sure, Route 1 can just stay on Bank for an overhead transfer, but the other routes (5, 8, 111, 112, 146, 148) would need somewhere to layover.

- The building at 1365 Bank is a low-income public housing building. It would create a LOT of controversy if that was torn down for redevelopment. Most likely, such could only be expanded to streetside if anything. The street shown to the north side of that runs through parkland and a hillside against Billings Estate, and probably cannot be built as such.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Where would the local buses layover at Billings Bridge Station? A local platform is necessary since a lot of routes terminate there. Sure, Route 1 can just stay on Bank for an overhead transfer, but the other routes (5, 8, 111, 112, 146, 148) would need somewhere to layover..
I think they would have to keep the lower level platforms where they are and have the layover in its current position. Maybe spice up that station a bit then so it looks more integrated into whatever development takes place in that rear section parking lot of the mall now. Further - assuming the transitway is still BRT when this development happens, buses will still need access from the lower level to the upper level transitway. Hence, why I think it will have to stay in a similar layout as it is now.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:44 PM

It was interesting that the article on this subject in the EMC newspaper mentioned former regular poster, Richard Eade, who is now the chair of a committee (I don't have the article at hand to say the exact name of the committee) and has had some major involvement in this project. It is great that someone from our board is trying to make a difference in our community.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 12:48 AM

In two pictures, I have drawn up an idea for the area between Hunt Club and just south of Queensdale (the Greenbelt entrance). There are 11 general redevelopment areas that I have identified. Those are a mix of non-suitable commercial uses (some of which are in pretty bad shape) and abandoned or run-down houses.

In addition, there are two areas that I have identified as "Special agreement". They are multi-family residential complexes that reverse-front Bank between St. Bernard and Rosabella. With the narrower ROW, an opportunity exists (in discussion with the landowners) for expansion of those two areas with houses that directly front Bank. There are two areas that cannot be redeveloped - those being the cemetary grounds and the reverse-fronting 1980s or 1990s era community at Sieveright.

Highlights of the plan:

* Bank Street would be reconstructed from a 5-lane suburban/rural arterial to a 4-lane urban arterial. Parking would be permitted in the curb lane in off-peak periods if Conroy is widened south of Hunt Club (reducing the capacity needed on Bank), except at intersections and bus stops. The speed limit would be reduced from 60 km/h to 50 km/h from the edge of the Greenbelt to Hunt Club.
* Sidewalks would be added on both sides (they are inexistant in spots, reflecting the rural design of old Highway 31) and wide as well with full streetscaping. The cemetary front could be modernized as well.
* Space is created at the Hunt Club end for a SPUI interchange (as I suggested in an older plan in the roads/highways section).
* All parking is on-street (off-peak periods with a widened Conroy) or at rear - no parking lots or parking entrances will exist on Bank.
* To maintain a village feel, the height limit from the cemetary area southward is 4 stories. Near Hunt Club, it is at least 18 stories but taller buildings may be acceptable as well.

The graphics are as follows (more specifics to come):

Last edited by eternallyme; Apr 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:17 AM

A brief detail in each plot:

1 - Currently a mid-sized strip plaza. It would need to be expropriated anyway if an interchange were to be built at Bank and Hunt Club, and the northern part of the plot reflects that. Total demolition is required due to that. The new development would be forced to face Bank directly, with parking available at the back. It could be either commercial or mixed-use.

2 - Currently several auto dealers. Obviously, those are not suitable for the development. A land swap agreement could be made to allow them to relocate. Like in 1, parking would be at the rear. A small section would need to be expropriate to realign Hunt Club.

3 - Currently a mid-sized strip plaza and two auto dealers. Unlike across the street, the plaza does not strictly need demolition as Hunt Club would not infringe on the property. However, discussions could take place with the landowner. Otherwise, an expansion facing Bank could occur with parking in the middle area, accessible from Albion and a new local street. The auto dealers would be unsuitable land use, and like 2, a land swap agreement could take place - perhaps an auto mall at Hawthorne or on Johnston.

4 - Currently a service station, car rental, car wash and two small office blocks. Again, obviously not suitable for the design. The office blocks could easily be redeveloped within, fronting Bank with the tenants intact (with minimal disruption). The other uses would have to find new homes, and there is plenty of available land. Being long and narrow, it lends itself well to on-street parking.

5 - Across from the cemetary, currently a motel, an abandoned restaurant, a car rental and a body shop. The irregular shape of the land lends itself well to multi-family blocks with streetscaping (houses and/or businesses fronting Bank) with local streets and on-street parking. Shadow Hill Crescent could gain an access to Bank Street, at least for pedestrians if the community rejects a street connection.

6 - Currently two auto dealers. The shape lends itself well to a retail block (or mixed-use with condos) with parking at the rear and on-street and possibly additional units behind Bank fronting a new local street. Any backlot parking would be accessible from St. Bernard Street and possibly a new local street.

7 - Currently old low-density residential, many of the lots being abandoned. A small residential complex at Councillors Way also exists, with side-fronting houses (a PITA! - option includes buy back the far end or keep it simply fenced with improved fencing). Other than that, the shape is prime for retail, perhaps attached to small block condos. Parking would be on-street. The individual homeowners would have an option to sell/reshape themselves with the City, and the abandoned houses would immediately become available for redevelopment.

8 - Currently three old low-density residential houses with deep lots (one appears abandoned) and an empty lot. Same as 7, except a backlot option also exists for condo blocks with an additional local street.

9A to 9F - Due to the street layout in the centre of Blossom Park, six mini-plots are necessary. They are currently a mixture of highway-based uses, including service stations, fast food, older houses in poor condition, a strip plaza and a vacant lot. Possibilities here include community-based developments (i.e. a suburban theatre, a small library, churches) or individual small condos. It should take account the fact this area would be the village centre.

10 - Currently a strip-plaza with a large parking lot and a standalone outparcel bank. Situation here is similar to 3 - except for the bank, it does not strictly need demolition, but it might be advantageous if there is no need to expand. If expanded, parking would be in the middle with local streets. A transit turnaround/layover facility is also needed in this area as Bank/Queensdale would be a mini-terminus.

11 - Currently a self-storage facility, fast food and auto dealer (formerly convenience store). Like the rest of the strip, they aren't really suitable uses for the future. The self-storage is problematic - it does not provide a good gateway, but might be amenable if a new access is built and the front sections are moved back. Parking would be at rear via Queensdale and a new local street.

Last edited by eternallyme; Apr 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 2:16 AM

Where in the south end would be suitable for an auto mall? That way, the auto dealers on Bank south of Hunt Club could all be able to relocate in a land swap deal, freeing up large areas of land for the development. From my count, there are no less than nine of them in that area, plus an auto body, a car wash and two car rental facilities.

My top candidates:

* Leitrim Road, just west of Bank Street
* Hawthorne Road, just north of Hunt Club Road
* Walkley Road at 417, SW quadrant
* Uplands Drive, north of the CE Centre

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
* Walkley Road at 417, SW quadrant
Isn't that soon to be the Saade International Downtown Hotel, Conference Centre and Pleasure Dome?

;-)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Isn't that soon to be the Saade International Downtown Hotel, Conference Centre and Pleasure Dome?

;-)
Have you seen Saade International buildings at South Gloucester? Talk about a bunch of derelict abandoned and semi-abandoned buildings. Do we really want them developing anything in a more prominent location?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Have you seen Saade International buildings at South Gloucester? Talk about a bunch of derelict abandoned and semi-abandoned buildings. Do we really want them developing anything in a more prominent location?
That site seemed like an insane joke.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Well they do have this lovely retail emporium

http://g.co/maps/ttfzw

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 11:36 PM

I decided to get down and dirty, and draw up possible designs. Here is the first one, for the northern part (north of the cemetary):

This has a "reverse power centre" feel to this. I decided to focus the pure retail area in the northern part, being more central to more people. This is very regional in nature.

The darker yellow plots are for larger-scale retail (i.e. certain big boxes). The lighter yellow plots are for smaller-scale retail (i.e. smaller stores and mid-sized boxes that can use 2 levels, as such is encouraged). The light blue area is an office complex, which would be connected by pedestrian pathways to Bank Street (there will be an enclosed walkway in the area that is not shown). The light red area is mixed-use, including residential, development.

One unique feature: ALL entrances (regardless of the retail type) MUST be facing Bank Street or Albion Road, not the parking lots. The buildings go right to the sidewalks as well. That means that transit and pedestrian users get the priority, not cars who have to use local and collector roads to access parking lots. (It is assumed that buses would run along Bank Street at this point, as ridership would soar with this development idea).

Current retail and office developments in the area, which would be displaced, would have first priority for relocation. However, the area available for development overall would be much greater than it currently is. The car dealerships would be displaced but could be relocated to an auto mall elsewhere or in a land swap deal. Not all of the dark grey area would be used for parking, some could be used for greenspace as well.

Also note the road network is changed. Space is maintained for an interchange at Bank/Hunt Club and a grade separation at Albion. If that is not built at the same time (the footprint would permit such), that area would be parkland until built. Finally, the central turning lane is replaced by a treed median.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues