HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Super Bowl driving major projects

The 2017 Super Bowl not only will drive thousands of football fans to Houston, it will put a hard deadline on projects from office and hotel construction to a light-rail extension, a local developer said Wednesday.

Ric Campo, CEO of Houston-based Camden Properties and chairman of the Houston Super Bowl bid committee that successfully lobbied the NFL for the big game, said over the next three years developers and the city plan to invest $3.5 billion in downtown. By contrast, he said, the business community and city have invested a total of $5 billion there over the last 14 years.

"It creates incredible deadlines and amazing pressure to get projects done," he said. "We're trying to turn downtown into a 24-hour city."

Campo told a real estate group at its monthly meeting that the Super Bowl would have a combined $500 million positive impact to the city.

Full Article: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...ts-5371617.php

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:13 PM

Now there are rumblings of a $2 Billion project for downtown Houston. This is for sure in addition to Chevron 3, don't know if it is separate from the 102 story tower rumored but either way downtown is going off! Add that with the possible super tall in the Galleria and Houston can not be stopped! Some great news recently, just a little ominous given our history...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:17 PM

Great news! Is there any indication on where the $2 billion project would be in downtown?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:33 PM

It's sounds like it's still in its infancy. The only additional information is that it is backed by foreign investors(probably Chinese or Korean). Looks like some international money is trying to make a splash in the Energy Capital though! It's still way too early to know if this thing has legs but I'm cautiously optimistic. Still have to wait at least a couple months to see if this is has anything to it though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:33 PM

Why not a fun welcoming statue of Sam Houston, or the Allen Brothers, instead of Big Tex from Dallas?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Great news! Is there any indication on where the $2 billion project would be in downtown?
No location given, but it was posted in the "102-Story Tower" thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...planned/page-7

I don't doubt any of the information given to us, I just wonder how far these supertalls are in the development stage. It's possible they may never get off the drawing board, or we may never hear something more official (news article for instance) about them. We'll see. Hoping for the best.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:22 PM

Downtown's GreenStreet adds popular eatery, software firm

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...l+Real+Estate)

I thought this was interesting. It looks like GreenStreet is adding Salata, Enertia Software, and Zipcar.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Why not a fun welcoming statue of Sam Houston, or the Allen Brothers, instead of Big Tex from Dallas?
Sam's already ensconced safely north, in Huntsville.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htowngrown View Post
Now there are rumblings of a $2 Billion project for downtown Houston.
Sounds like multiple buildings. If it's residential, it will help alleviate some of the demand.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Sounds like multiple buildings. If it's residential, it will help alleviate some of the demand.
$2 billion is a lot of money...it could easily contain a supertall and still have money left for multiple buildings.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 10:43 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
$2 billion is a lot of money...it could easily contain a supertall and still have money left for multiple buildings.
True words.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 1:16 AM

This came in over the transom this evening. Another Enclave.

Piedmont Office Realty Trust project in Energy Corridor is latest Houston office building to break ground

Groundbreaking was this morning.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Exactly. The Big Tex is the ultimate in silliness.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 1:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Supertall in uptown? Didn't that idea die with Dyarr proposal during last recession?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Supertall in uptown? Didn't that idea die with Dyarr proposal during last recession?
The Deyarr is dead. This one is new and there is no specified location as of yet. Although Swstig confirmed the rumor was about right but can't elaborate on the height.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 2:32 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Seems too far fetched. At least the Deyarr had deep UAE pockets behind it. Would rather see a couple 4-500'ers

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Seems too far fetched. At least the Deyarr had deep UAE pockets behind it. Would rather see a couple 4-500'ers
From what I'm understanding, the super tall for Uptown is being discussed by Hines. If anyone could do it, they could. It just comes down to if it actually comes out of the ground and in this stage it's a way too early to say. No reason to get your hopes up and think it will, just word from the grapevine. Houston is bound for a super tall this cycle though so won't be surprised if one of these rumors comes true. Either way Uptown is going to be adding plenty of 400+ footers, the cranes are just staring to rise! I think Uptown could get 1-2 super talls and Downtown could add another 2-3 this cycle, but I'm an optimist.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:07 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm all for new development but a supertall should be downtown. Part of what makes the Transco so iconic (I refuse to call it Williams) is it's solitude in height but the area is ripe for several mid sized towers that's for sure...all up and down Post Oak

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:22 AM
Voice of the Modern World

What'll happen to the revolving beacon light on the Transco if a taller tower in Uptown is built? That thing at night can seriously blind people in the taller tower, if not blind then seriously impair eye sight.

Houston as a city reminds me too much of family guy, it's so silly and funny, part of what I like about the place. I think laissez-faire is what it's called.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
I'm all for new development but a supertall should be downtown. Part of what makes the Transco so iconic (I refuse to call it Williams) is it's solitude in height but the area is ripe for several mid sized towers that's for sure...all up and down Post Oak
The Williams tower will still be an icon, it's not like were getting multiple supertalls that will surround the building, it's just one being proposed for the Galleria/Uptown area. We have the Williams which reminds us of the boom of the late 70's/early 80's and it would be nice to have another to remind us of the current boom of today, they will both stand out well. Uptown or Downtown, we're definitely long-over due for a new supertall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
What'll happen to the revolving beacon light on the Transco if a taller tower in Uptown is built? That thing at night can seriously blind people in the taller tower, if not blind then seriously impair eye sight.
If it's mixed-use, I only see this being a problem if the hotel or residential floors are at the same height and in the path of the beacon light.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations