HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 4:45 PM

The fact they paid essentially $2 million leads me to believe the building structures have to to be in fairly good shape. Someone please correct me if I'm off base, haha.

But yes - definitely a good sign. Super curious to see what is to be done with the hideous smaller building. Would be awesome to see the upper floors filled in with some glass, maybe even the plain facade glassed-in as well a la The Pint or RRC.

[Side note: we/the city don't give The Pint enough credit for what they did to that building. A gorgeous redevelopment really – lots of similar opportunities around downtown for more like it.]

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 8:39 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The fact they paid essentially $2 million leads me to believe the building structures have to to be in fairly good shape. Someone please correct me if I'm off base, haha.

But yes - definitely a good sign. Super curious to see what is to be done with the hideous smaller building. Would be awesome to see the upper floors filled in with some glass, maybe even the plain facade glassed-in as well a la The Pint or RRC.

[Side note: we/the city don't give The Pint enough credit for what they did to that building. A gorgeous redevelopment really – lots of similar opportunities around downtown for more like it.]
They aren't in great shape. I think I have mentioned it before - but the ugly little two/three storey building in the middle is basically guaranteed to be knocked over as part of a future development. Unlike the building at the corner, it has no heritage protection, and also the floors do not line up between the buildings.

The building at the corner is also in poor condition. It's suffered from a long period of no heat combined with long term roof leaks. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just rebuilt from the inside out, including a replacement of anything without heritage values (i.e. interior structure, west and north exterior walls).

The real value of the lot is the potential to build residential and offer onsite parking along Adelaide (if they build a parkade).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 11:23 PM

Do you know what the development potential for the surface lot is? Is the underground parkade able to support development on top or would it need to be ripped out and start fresh? Also, is there any issue with Fairchild owners over the parking area?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 11:25 PM

This building has been cleaned up and there's construction going on in the unit on the left. Appeared to be a bunch of drywall framing going up. Anyone know what's happening here?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Please let it be another homeless shelter.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
This building has been cleaned up and there's construction going on in the unit on the left. Appeared to be a bunch of drywall framing going up. Anyone know what's happening here?

The parking lot is extremely compromised with easements and right of ways in favour of Fairchild and their owners. Will be very interesting to see some building on columns to deal with this challenge and hopefully have some consideration on limited parking requirements for any new structure.

It's not an easy path forward on this site but am glad someone is taking a risk here...

It does seem like a lot of cash for the site though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 3:30 PM

I have to say, I REALLY like the Marketlands conceptual plan, but do have one big concern. Considering all the language speaks about connecting all the neighbourhoods and opening up to all sides, all the plan variations essentially relegate James Avenue to a back lane. The back of the northern buildings, with a "sliver park" lining it – aka, no activity there.

That's a little worrisome to me considering that one of the 5 big things was pushing development north. How will you encourage more development to the north if you cut it off in your own development? There's great opportunity here to connect with an reinvigorate Chinatown, as you have the beautiful Chinese Cultural Centre & gardens, plus the beautiful building across from it on King that I believe is still mostly vacant. Add to that the fact that James runs through the Steinkopf Gardens for pedestrians on the other side of Main, then to what is becoming (and will continue to turn into) one of the best residential streets in all of downtown, the east side of James.

I really think that Marketlands needs to fully integrate with and drive people into Chinatown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I have to say, I REALLY like the Marketlands conceptual plan, but do have one big concern. Considering all the language speaks about connecting all the neighbourhoods and opening up to all sides, all the plan variations essentially relegate James Avenue to a back lane. The back of the northern buildings, with a "sliver park" lining it – aka, no activity there.

That's a little worrisome to me considering that one of the 5 big things was pushing development north. How will you encourage more development to the north if you cut it off in your own development? There's great opportunity here to connect with an reinvigorate Chinatown, as you have the beautiful Chinese Cultural Centre & gardens, plus the beautiful building across from it on King that I believe is still mostly vacant. Add to that the fact that James runs through the Steinkopf Gardens for pedestrians on the other side of Main, then to what is becoming (and will continue to turn into) one of the best residential streets in all of downtown, the east side of James.

I really think that Marketlands needs to fully integrate with and drive people into Chinatown.
A very thoughtful assessment of the conceptual drawings.

Again, my position is a huge government infusion of educational dollars for student housing and student facilities is needed on this site. Only through education can the youth of our city have a chance to move forward in a way that provided choice and opportunity in their lives.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:06 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

Do you mean Elgin?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:35 PM
BANNED

about to tear down another heritage building, one of the best examples of its style, and hope to put down a bunch of mixed use buildings... not like there isn't already empty parking lots all over the exchange waiting for mixed use development.

why not turn the old PSB building into the market and build student/social housing for the area? why does it have to be this silly branded concept to create a "destination"? just garbage politics and planning all around. people will go to places if there are things to do and places to live.. it doesn't need some silly branding

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:36 PM
BANNED

also the concept of chinatown ever being a thing again is ridiculous, it literally developed that way to segregate the population from the rest of the city... no one wants that again

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:39 PM
BANNED

we keep trying to apply the "trickle down" effect to developmeny, even though it's proven over and over again to no work anywhere, including economics. just get this one big thing going and the spin offs will be amazing!!!! just like every other big project that has come and failed to actually CHANGE THE EXISTING CONDITIONS, which is the real issue.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
about to tear down another heritage building, one of the best examples of its style, and hope to put down a bunch of mixed use buildings... not like there isn't already empty parking lots all over the exchange waiting for mixed use development.

why not turn the old PSB building into the market and build student/social housing for the area? why does it have to be this silly branded concept to create a "destination"? just garbage politics and planning all around. people will go to places if there are things to do and places to live.. it doesn't need some silly branding
For one, trying to restore the crumbling building turn would likely into another PSB2 with exorbitant cost overruns for a building not that suitable to its new use. The main floor is like 6 ft above ground level and right to the sidewalk so it would forever remain a fortress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Do you mean Elgin?
No. James runs on the north side of Marketlands site, and Steinkopf follows its path. Elgin runs through the site.

Quote:
also the concept of chinatown ever being a thing again is ridiculous, it literally developed that way to segregate the population from the rest of the city... no one wants that again
What is ridiculous about it? You don’t need to force Chinese people to live there.

It’s only one block away from the “active” part of the Exchange.
It already has several Chinese community buildings.
Has a few of the largest residential buildings in the Exchange (made up of mainly Chinese people).
It’s home to the largest Chinese festival in Winnipeg.
Many great, busy Chinese restaurants and other businesses.

A decade ago people thought the waterfront plan was crazy. Chinatown is perfectly set up for a big renaissance in the next 5-10 years. RRC also helps, and if/when the Innovation Centre opens, it will have lots of international students, many of them will be Chinese. Perfect place to live.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
The parking lot is extremely compromised with easements and right of ways in favour of Fairchild and their owners. Will be very interesting to see some building on columns to deal with this challenge and hopefully have some consideration on limited parking requirements for any new structure.

It's not an easy path forward on this site but am glad someone is taking a risk here...

It does seem like a lot of cash for the site though.
wrong building this ones on princes by logan he burried a link in the word this incase u missed it easy to do i almost missed it my self

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
no idea whats going on been work going on in it since last spring?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

now if someone would revelope the building beside the royal albert thats empty....

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
no idea whats going on been work going on in it since last spring?
Yeah drove by again today for a better look. They really cleaned up the exterior, brand new windows on the left portion. Right side hasn't really been touched aside from taking the signs down, so maybe they'll move on to it after.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:39 PM
surely you agree with me

Right. I understand where the streets are but didn’t understand your point. The hope is that the buildings front James. I would like to see some access north south mid block but I think most importantly thee buildings need to address the James sidewalk. It’s not a back. It’s a front.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 8:49 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

The PSB is 100,000 square feet of space. Way too much for a market. It’s an inefficient proportion for any kind of housing. It is also raised six feet off the ground at the sidewalk. The facade that makes it an important heritage building is literally falling off and would need to be completely replaced. Who will pay for that?

I’m a heritage guy more than most, but the building has no heritage value without its facade and nobody is going to foot the bill to replace it, especially since it must remain a public building. It’s a real shame but it’s just a reality at this point. We need to move beyond the brutalist discussion and put our energy into creating the best place we can on the site. A catalyst for all those empty lots you speak of.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Right. I understand where the streets are but didn’t understand your point. The hope is that the buildings front James. I would like to see some access north south mid block but I think most importantly thee buildings need to address the James sidewalk. It’s not a back. It’s a front.
Exactly, but all the possible layouts shown in the plan have a 10 foot setback and a "sliver park" which to me screams they are just putting up some plants to hide the fact there's nothing there. Even worse, the plan showing the possibility of the north third being one big building had parkade entrance/exits off James.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan