HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 2:18 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Lukang, Taiwan's Forgotten Port

Lukang was once one of Taiwan's main ports, and an important point of arrival for Fujianese immigrants in the 17th and 18th centuries. This is not surprising, as it is the closest point on Taiwan to Quanzhou on the other side of the strait in Fujian. However, the port had to shut due to silting in the late 19th century, and this place declined. As it slid away from importance, its historic architecture was safeguarded, and today is a worthwhile day trip from Taichung.

There are 5 Longshan Temples is Taiwan, and Lukang's is the biggest in the city. The temple was relocated to the present site in 1786 during the Qing Dynasty and has been renovated multiple times since.

The Din family's former residence has been restored and offers a glimpse of life in this trader family who came from Quanzhou in Fujian. They were believed to have "Arab blood", which may not be surprising as Quanzhou was a major port on the Maritime Silk Road and is home to a 1000 year-old mosque.

The historic centre is small and narrow but very walkable.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/lukang.htm

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 12:04 PM
Hong Kong

A small artist village has emerged with colourful murals at the start of the Old Street. This was previously working space for fishermen trying to catch some mullet in the local river. but it was filled in during the colonial period and Japanese-style homes sprung up on the site.

At the end of the old street is Xinzu, the only temple officially dedicated to the Mazu deity and was created by imperial decree in 1788.

The Tian Hou Temple dates from the late 16th century. The first stone temple was completed in 1647 and the current structure reflects renovations in 1936.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/lukang.htm

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

The Tian Hou Temple dates from the late 16th century. The first stone temple was completed in 1647 and the current structure reflects renovations in 1936.

I love the space that all those lanterns create in approaching the temple.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos