HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:57 AM
Everywhere all at once

I know I'm a little tardy to the party but I have to say, jwalas' pictures are just incredible. They really give you an idea of what that view will look like when 1 WTC is complete...and it looks fantastic.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:57 AM

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/feature?...fic&id=5780747

This is a great link to check the height progress- a wide shot of lower manhattan, from brooklyn.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:20 PM
Back to Basics

I see one column of new steel on the West Side of 1WTC from the HD Cam at Times Sq. So how tall will this jump make it? Do I add another check mark to my Lower Manhattan diagram checklist and is it taller than Chase with this jump?

Link to HD Cams:

http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:48 PM
Back to Basics

It was confirmed over at SSC that it is indeed taller than Chase with this jump. So here is the updated Lower Manhattan checklist:

(Compiled from the diagrams page found here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?...0968464&page=1 )

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:45 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Cool, this giant is rising so quickly, I can't wait to see it in it's full height.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamatzu View Post

Cool.
Wow, the skyline is looking much more beautiful in 2011 than back then!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:13 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
I have to disagree with you.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:32 PM

Quote:

Not 2011. And not until construction is completed. Construction is never pretty, but we must be patient and wait until it is done. Try again in a couple of years. At least it's getting done.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
Not 2011. And not until construction is completed. Construction is never pretty, but we must be patient and wait until it is done. Try again in a couple of years. At least it's getting done.
Beekman,Goldman Saks, 123 Washington st, 7 WTC,10 Barclay etc. have all made the skyline of LM a true gem worthy to surpass the pre 9/11 skyline.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
^^ this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Beekman,Goldman Saks, 123 Washington st, 7 WTC,10 Barclay etc. have all made the skyline of LM a true gem worthy to surpass the pre 9/11 skyline.
yes, i think as soon as Tower 1 and Tower 4 are complete i think your statement will be true but not in 2011, IMO

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I have to disagree with you.

OK...

IMO, even with the construction, the current skyline looks more beautiful.

In addition to the WTC complex being far more beautiful than the old twin towers, 7 WTC, Beekman and Goldman Sachs make it look far more modern, bright, attractive and welcoming. It won't even be a comparison once all the other WTC buildings and the gorgeous memorial and striking PATH station are all completed.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:00 AM

Quote:
OK...

In addition to the WTC complex being far more beautiful than the old twin towers, 7 WTC, Beekman and Goldman Sachs make it look far more modern, bright, attractive and welcoming. It won't even be a comparison once all the other WTC buildings and the gorgeous memorial and striking PATH station are all completed.
I have to agree with you.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 1:18 AM

Quote:
OK...

you hit the nail on the head, NYC has gotten fixtures that just make it appear more modern. Something that wasnt achieved by the twins.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 3:06 AM

Remember though the Twin Towers were extremely modern skyscrapers when they were planned and constructed. Although they were extremely utilitarian it was a massive complex. Hopefully the new WTC can do the same thing but in an extremely new style which I really like.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 3:46 AM

^^^Although by virtue of its design and choice of materials it aged more quickly then other buildings. Hopefully the new WTC will age well.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:19 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

its the first of the month again so time for the check-in. exactly what floor are we at as of today? thx!!!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 9:07 PM

@Rockmont;

Construction can be a beautiful thing indeed when multiple cranes begin to make their collective presence felt at least 600 feet above the ground.

I take it from the tenor of your last post that the physical process from groundbreaking to foundation to street-level can be tedious, even downright maddening. But given the lessons we received from 9/11, the early phases of high-rise and supertall construction can instill a sense of fascination by how the strictest building standards are met.

The fact that the greater measure of these standards are meticulously applied from bedrock level upward and throughout practically the entire height of the structure's core might not be readily appreciated by the casual observer.

Surely I cannot believe that the overwhelming majority would tell you that skyscraper construction begins at street level out of thin air. The things most people precisely *don't* see in a skyscraper, even well after its completion, are the most important to its long-term viability as not only a safe structure, but as a potentially thriving hive for business and commerce.

And re that, it's kinda hard to not have one without the other . Funding and tenant searches can be best implemented by getting the word across that the building being considered as a future base can be swiftly evacuated God forbid something untoward happens.

Last edited by JayPro; Jun 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 9:16 PM

The new steel brings us up to floor 68. Or 830' to the splices. The cranes go over 1050'

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 10:45 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Next two floors should make it at least as tall, if not taller, than One Chase Manhattan.

http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm
You know that comparison can work only if the two buildings are exactly the same distance away from the camera, right?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The cranes go over 1050'
Wow! thats like the height of the 86th floor of The Empire State Building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive