HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hello

So great to see all of the progress. It will be a proud moment when FT soars into the sky.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 1:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Washburn View Post
Hey! All that scaffolding around the Freedom Tower core is to hold up formwork for another floor, right?
A closer look...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltowers08 View Post
Have you noticed on the first photo they have left some steel from the Original wtc carpark in place. Anyone got any ideas ?
Yeah, doesn't (or didn't?) PATH train run under there, so they didn't demolish that.

Great photo btw, NYguy.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 4:14 PM

The path trains still run under that part but i dont see why they keep the steel thats sticking out of the concreat there it servers no purpose .

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 1:18 AM

Will they pour concrete around those columns before, during, or after they pour the next floor?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 2:17 AM

nothing amazing but i snaped a shot while i was down in the city today

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 12:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The path trains still run under that part but i dont see why they keep the steel thats sticking out of the concreat there it servers no purpose .
Speaking of PATH, I just read that starting next summer there will be NO weekend service to the WTC terminal for three years.

Laredo Montoneri

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 1:05 PM

some old historey

Building the World Trade Center and Twin Towers - 1 of 2
Video Link

Building the World Trade Center and Twin Towers - 2 of 2
Video Link

World Trade Center Public Opening Hours Film
Video Link

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153876
end here is my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/people/henrikkarlskoga/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Speaking of PATH, I just read that starting next summer there will be NO weekend service to the WTC terminal for three years.

Laredo Montoneri
Is this due to more advanced construction down there ? And how big an impact is this going to make on comuters.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 5:58 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I miss those towers so much.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 6:08 PM

look at how undeveloped new york looks with cargo docks directly adjacent to the twin towers (from the video)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
JoeCooper

I think all this video footage belongs in another thread. This is the TOWER 1 thread!!! Obviously there are people out there that miss the Twin Towers and so forth, but we'll get adjusted to what is to come as well! STAY ON TOPIC!!! I swear I've seen people pull this shit on this thread at least 1,000 times already and I'm more than sick and tired of it; I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one who is either...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 1:12 AM
Resident Jackass

I second the "I'm sick of the nostalgic shit in this thread" motion.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 1:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Is this due to more advanced construction down there ? And how big an impact is this going to make on comuters.
Well, PATH service in general sucks over the weekend - unless you're taking the direct WTC line. That won't be an option over the weekend for 3 years. Now, it won't be as big a disruption as it would be for weekday service. But I remember when PATH service to the WTC was lost for a year after 9/11. It caused major crowding on the other (33rd St) line and NJ Transit. We'll see what happens.

But its all part of the sacrifice to be made as the memorial and Freedom Tower get built. It will all be worth it in the end.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:55 AM
BANNED

NY1 Exclusive: Trump Cheers Bloomberg, Jeers Freedom Tower

By: Dominic Carter

In an exclusive interview with NY1 this week, Donald Trump had a lot to say about the future of New York City. NY1's Dominic Carter filed the following report.

Real estate mogul Donald Trump may have hundreds of properties bearing his name, but that did not keep him from criticizing the designs of the new World Trade Center site.

"It's something that right now they should think about not building because there's no market," he said. "You're going to have this huge white elephant. The building that's being proposed right now, I think it's bottom heavy. I don't think it's great architecture; I don't like the look of it."

"Can you build a building with millions of square feet when office space is going begging in New York? I mean, I think this could be a catastrophe for New York," continued Trump.

When it comes to politics, Mayor Michael Bloomberg can count Trump among his fans.

"I'm not a believer in term limits," Trump said. "I think a term limit is when you go into a voter booth and if you don't like somebody, you press a button."

When it came to voting in the past presidential election, Trump threw his support behind Republican John McCain. But he's also leaping to the defense of New York Senator Hillary Clinton.

"I thought she was roughed up," he said. "She took some pretty hard hits. That's my opinion. She took hits from the media, but really from the Obama campaign. I think Obama, brilliantly perhaps, roughed her up."

Trump says he thinks his candidate could have fared better if he picked a different vice president.

"I would have thought that he would have done better with [Mitt] Romney because the economy was tanking and Romney is a guy that made money and he knows how to make money," said Trump. "He knew something about finance, to put it mildly, and I would have thought that would have been the best. But, hey look, you can blame a lot of different reasons. One thing she did do is she got a lot of interest in the party."

Trump is also warning the competition to keep an eye out for Governor David Paterson in 2010.

"I've gotten to know David Paterson since he became governor," Trump said. "I cannot tell you enough good things about him. He's sharp; he's smart, he's street-wise like crazy. He's a great guy and I think he's going to be a hell of a force to beat."

From:http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beat...r/Default.aspx

At this point I really think trump should shut his fat face.

and I forgot to mention its a little about the election too.

Last edited by America 117; Nov 17, 2008 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:08 AM
World Machine

The more I read comments from Trump like this, the more I question why I admire him. I guess he's not the same as he was in the 80's/90's, now he just comes off as critical and bitter. I know he's always been a 'critical' person, always ready to give his opinion, but of all people he should be supporting this the most. I admire Trump's values and accomplishments, but honestly, he's got to take a step back and realize what he's saying.

His comments are also off base. Considering the original WTC and the ESB were both built during rough economic times, yet still filled up eventually, there is no reason to believe that will not be the case with the new WTC. Just like the other two, it may take time to fully occupy the space, but it will eventually happen and happen at its own pace.

The point is that the lost space needs to be put back up, regardless of the economic situation. Whether the space is fully leased in five months or five years, it needs to exist and be ready for occupancy. Not to mention skyline redemption. The WTC is an essential, and that's why it's being constructed regardless of what is happening down the block on Wall Street.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:34 AM
dream fast

WTC, Freedom Tower must be built. The skyline needs it. The terrorists will never win.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 4:41 AM

I think Trump is missing the point of rebuilding it. Then again Trump is a shrewd businessman, not a champion of American resolve.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 12:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
NOVEMBER 14, 2008

Work continues on the memorial...

There's an article in the Times about that particular view of the framing of the footprints...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/17/ny...7memorial.html

Where Two Towers Once Stood, a Memorial Begins to Materialize

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
November 16, 2008

Of all the right angles that have been built at ground zero in the last three years, of all the places where steel meets steel at 90 degrees, there is no more meaningful angle right now than the one poised high over the PATH tracks near Fulton Street.

It visibly defines one corner of the north pool of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum and, therefore, one corner of the outline of 1 World Trade Center...

As is currently the practice at the trade center project, construction milestones pass quietly, with little public notice or fanfare. But they are no less important to those involved.

“To see the actual framing of the void is a major step in filling in the wound,” said Joseph C. Daniels, the president and chief executive of the memorial and museum, as he looked across ground zero on Oct. 31, toward the embryonic north pool and the pale-green steel framework that has begun to define the south pool, the site of 2 World Trade Center.

“This is the basic structure of the memorial,” Mr. Daniels said. “So it’s a big deal.”

The pools will eventually be at the bottom of two 28-foot-deep depressions in a landscaped and tree-filled plaza, marking the location of the twin towers, though not their exact outlines. (The pools will be 194 by 194 feet, or 13 feet shorter on each side than the trade center buildings.) The insides of these voids will be lined with waterfalls cascading into the pools at the bottom....

It is not easy at first to make out the shape of the north pool’s corner against a backdrop of heavy construction, but once spotted, it is impossible to overlook. The best public viewing place is the Liberty Street pedestrian bridge, where large windows offer a commanding view of the site.

The corner of the north pool is composed chiefly of two great beams arranged perpendicularly atop a more slender steel framework. One is 52 feet long and 44 inches deep and weighs 13,104 pounds. The other is 72 feet long and 40 inches deep and weighs 42,696 pounds.

The framework below this enormous angle is set back a bit, aligning with the PATH tracks that run alongside. The uppermost corner of the north pool projects about 20 feet over the tracks.

A far larger area of the south pool, about 50 percent, will be constructed over the PATH tracks. That steel underpinning differs from the north pool and is not as instantly recognizable as part of a giant square. But steel erection goes quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive