HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:16 PM

The all-wood construction at 401 Race just looks odd.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Anyone know the status of that nice round-ish brick proposal for 9th and Washington? I haven't been to the Italian Market in a while.
Last I saw it was still in the overall master plan, but no individual updates on it in some time. I'd love to see that baby get built, it was a really good fit for the neighborhood while being quite unique as well.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
216 units is really going to liven up that dead zone around 4th and race.
Hopefully. The 400 blocks of both Race and Arch are an urban disaster. Could the Mint be any worse in that regard?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 4:36 PM
build awesome buildings

The Mint certainly kills things in that area, but there are a few other blocks nearby (5th between Race and Market isn't exactly welcoming either) that negatively impact the urban experience just west of Old City proper. That said, 401 Race is going to have a big impact by car coming east on Race (and going over the BFB) and by foot coming from the river and heading west. Franklin Square will feel much more connected to Old City once this is completed.

Now if only some of the traffic modulating measures could get moving on Race, this area will feel significantly more welcoming and less like an on-ramp (especially if/when the Equal Justice Center and the Police offices at 8th and Race get moving).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:08 PM

Arch, Race, 5th, and 6th Streets all need drastic road diets. That area would be a lot more welcoming if crossing the street doesn't translate to a life-or-death situation, taking the size of the roadways into consideration. All of those apartments will certainly liven up the area, but a true road diet (along with a reopened Franklin Square stop on PATCO) would do wonders.

The same thing could be said about JFK, Arch, 15th, and 16th. The front entrance to Suburban Station would receive a MUCH greater level of patronage if the roads were not only narrowed, but the sidewalks were also widened.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 10:16 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScottsOffice View Post
New Philly Pod Hotel to give visitors a (very) little space to themselves | Philly.com
For Philadelphia hotels, small might be the next big thing.

Crews are scheduled to begin work this spring near the southeast corner of 19th and Ludlow Streets in Center City on an outpost of the Pod Hotels chain, part of a growing hospitality genre known as microhotels. They’re defined by tiny rooms, trendy design flourishes, and lively on-site restaurants and bars.

When the 11-story Pod Philly property has its opening, anticipated in September 2019, its 252 guest rooms, including bathroom, will average 170 square feet — smaller than two 2018 Toyota Corollas parked side-by-side. By contrast, guest rooms in an average, full-service city center hotel average 350 square feet, according to commercial real estate firm JLL.

“The room is a comfortable bed; it’s a big TV; it’s a high-design bath,” said Confrad Cafritz, whose Washington D.C.-based Cafritz Interests is parent to Modus Hotels, one of Pod Philly’s developers. “It’s everything you want or need in a room and nothing you don’t need, which is extra space.”

[snip]

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
The all-wood construction at 401 Race just looks odd.
Budget construction for budget architecture. I know this is kind of a difficult location, but it's still disappointing. More so after being teased with the hotel.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
New Philly Pod Hotel to give visitors a (very) little space to themselves | Philly.com
For Philadelphia hotels, small might be the next big thing.

Crews are scheduled to begin work this spring near the southeast corner of 19th and Ludlow Streets in Center City on an outpost of the Pod Hotels chain, part of a growing hospitality genre known as microhotels. They’re defined by tiny rooms, trendy design flourishes, and lively on-site restaurants and bars.

When the 11-story Pod Philly property has its opening, anticipated in September 2019, its 252 guest rooms, including bathroom, will average 170 square feet — smaller than two 2018 Toyota Corollas parked side-by-side. By contrast, guest rooms in an average, full-service city center hotel average 350 square feet, according to commercial real estate firm JLL.

“The room is a comfortable bed; it’s a big TV; it’s a high-design bath,” said Confrad Cafritz, whose Washington D.C.-based Cafritz Interests is parent to Modus Hotels, one of Pod Philly’s developers. “It’s everything you want or need in a room and nothing you don’t need, which is extra space.”

[snip]

From the CO article.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:08 PM

The POD hotel render looks better than the Cambria, but we'll have to see more of it and how it shakes out in person.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:01 PM

I've been in some hotel rooms in NYC that were basically pods - a bed that there wasn't enough space to walk around, a closet and a bathroom.

I forget the name of he place but it wasn't that bad. I bet this catches on in a bigger way.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:11 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

From the CO article.
Reminds me a little of this building. Just need to do the entrance like the rendering and you have a copycat.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9596...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:22 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Arch, Race, 5th, and 6th Streets all need drastic road diets. That area would be a lot more welcoming if crossing the street doesn't translate to a life-or-death situation, taking the size of the roadways into consideration. All of those apartments will certainly liven up the area, but a true road diet (along with a reopened Franklin Square stop on PATCO) would do wonders.

The same thing could be said about JFK, Arch, 15th, and 16th. The front entrance to Suburban Station would receive a MUCH greater level of patronage if the roads were not only narrowed, but the sidewalks were also widened.
Hmm Arch in that area has the same amount of lanes it does in Chinatown, though. Though two through lanes is probably one too many. Race around Franklin Square presents a serious problem: it's the only access the VSE has to the BFB. If we can get that bypassed, a road diet becomes more likely. 5th and 6th really can be significantly narrowed from Chestnut to Race, though; the sections between Chestnut and Walnut work just fine without feeling stroady.

I've heard around the rumor mill that PATCO is "studying" reopening Franklin Square (the expensive bit here's probably an elevator down to the concourse), while I ran into the Sic Transit Philadelphia guy the other day and was informed that the City's going to be putting in protected cycle tracks on JFK and Market just west of City Hall (which in his opinion is about the absolute least the city could do).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:51 PM

There was a good article from PlanPhilly about a year ago that addresses some of the challenges of realigning traffic along 6th Street at Franklin Square approaching the Ben Franklin Bridge: http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...s-at-the-start

I definitely like the PHS plan. It seems that they need a more concrete plan to get the Port Authority on board. I hope they're still working on this with PennDot.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

Overall, Race and, to a lesser extent Arch are probably the worst, anti-urban streets in Center City. Except for their stretches in Old City and Chinatown, those streets are very forgettable. JFK and Market are much too wide and I've said it for years - I'd like to see a nice tree lined median, perhaps with a bike path.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:38 AM
Philly Pholly

I like to refer to this rendering. The greening of Market and JFK would be a big transition and appropriate for the new Philadelphia. I like the emphasis on bike lanes. I do wonder what lies beneath all those beautiful green trees along Market? Trains? 'cause I don't like the planters. but I do like this rendering as a good direction.

Station+Plaza+View+from+East

Last edited by SEFTA; Mar 28, 2018 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:22 PM

http://www.phillyvoice.com/fire-dama...et-demolition/

239 Chestnut is to be demolished... however...

Quote:
The Department of Licenses & Inspections told NBC10 that the building's cast-iron facade on the first floor will be preserved in the demolition.
Edit:
More informative article here: http://planphilly.com/articles/2018/...gutted-by-fire

Last edited by diavolo; Mar 28, 2018 at 2:52 PM. Reason: More information

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I've been in some hotel rooms in NYC that were basically pods - a bed that there wasn't enough space to walk around, a closet and a bathroom.

I forget the name of he place but it wasn't that bad. I bet this catches on in a bigger way.
Was it the Hudson, Central Park South?

Spent a night there a few weeks back and man it was tiny. It was functional and served its purpose but it was tight.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:46 PM

I figured I should probably share some development updates in Manayunk/Roxborough, since there's not much reported here. But don't be fooled, TONS of building going on here, mostly townhomes but also larger projects:

Construction started on Mitchell Street across the dog park. I don't have info but recall that it was a decent sized project as tall as its neighbors (5 floors). They appear to be a digging a foundation, which usually doesn't happen with townhomes.

A fairly large building is nearing completion on Terrace Street. Four floors but it's quite big.

Progress being made on this project on Main Street.

Sorry no pictures to share.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I figured I should probably share some development updates in Manayunk/Roxborough, since there's not much reported here. But don't be fooled, TONS of building going on here, mostly townhomes but also larger projects:
The project on Venice Island is on the April CDR schedule: http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...al_reduced.pdf

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:24 PM

Hale Building update:
Hale Building 3/28/2018 by shad obat, on Flickr

Wonder if they're gonna move this light??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development