HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

3601 Market Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 8:23 PM
Realtor

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:31 PM

Article about this breaking ground.

Quote:
Ground is broken for high-rise at University City Science Center site

Ground was broken Wednesday at the site of Philadelphia's latest high-rise rental effort - a 28-story, $110 million project at 36th and Market Streets in University City.

Called 3601 Market Street and due for delivery in spring 2015, the building will be constructed on a portion of the 17-acre University City Science Center campus that is now a parking lot.

The 364-unit, 443,000-square-foot mixed-use structure is a joint project of the Science Center and Southern Land Co., of Nashville.

Designed by BLT Architects of Philadelphia, 3601 Market Street will have 14,600 square feet of ground-floor retail and parking for 200 cars and 140 bicycles.

BLT's design has among its goals LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The designation requires that 50 to 59 points be awarded for meeting established green-building criteria.

Michael Prifti, a BLT principal, said the firm's aim was to make the building both practical and appealing, noting that this is the Science Center's first residential component in its 50-year history.

Southern Land chief exexecutive Tim Downey said 3601 is his company's effort to shape the development of the University City neighborhood, calling the project "a modern jewel" for West Philadelphia.

Science Center CEO and president Stephen S. Tang called the project "pivotal" to the center's efforts to become a 24/7 "innovation community."

Carl Dranoff, who led the way in building market-rate residential units in University City 12 years ago with the Left Bank, said 3601 Market is another vindication of the vision University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University officials had from the start.

"It is now clear after more than a decade that University City is its own vibrant economic hub and neighborhood, with vitality and growth matching Center City that can support these new projects," Dranoff said.

Rents for the units - studios, one- and two-bedrooms, and penthouses - will range from $1,300 to $4,500 a month, a spokeswoman said.

The building will target young professionals, hospital and university employees, and graduate students, and will be under the city's 10-year tax-abatement program, she said.

Dranoff cited more examples of University City's explosive growth, such as the 31-story Evo student residential tower and the 47-story FMC tower at Cira Centre South.

"It's a real win for Philadelphia," he said, "and a case study on how 'eds and meds' can change blight into prosperity when the right leaders and policies coincide over an extended period."

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...nter_site.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:02 PM

Apparently this is also going to have a roof top pool.
http://technical.ly/philly/2014/02/0...t-residential/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Whoa does it can any plainer than this Uninspiring? Unimaginative? BLT how about joining the 21st Century of architecture. Good grief.

Philadelphias survival was probably helped by its amazing high quality architecture through the centuries. I cant deal with these mass produced glass boxes.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
Apparently this is also going to have a roof top pool.
http://technical.ly/philly/2014/02/0...t-residential/
Great the developer of 3601 Market can sit atop this cerial box with his feet in the pool and gaze across the city at all the amazing architecture that Philadelphia "USED" to build.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Whoa does it can any plainer than this Uninspiring? Unimaginative? BLT how about joining the 21st Century of architecture. Good grief.

Philadelphias survival was probably helped by its amazing high quality architecture through the centuries. I cant deal with these mass produced glass boxes.
I think it's one of the nicer designed towers going up in the city. IDK what your issue is with this one:

http://southernland.com/southern-lan...pment-project/

http://southernland.com/community-de...market-street/

http://www.gundpartnership.com/3601-...t-Philadelphia

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Thats actually not bad now although it should be taller.

The original renderings had me worried. The diagonal placement though? This is Market St where the placement of skyscrapers has historically been E-W . I would have preferred that University City pick up fabulously laid out Center Citys skyline in its likeness but they are doing their own thing rather haphazardly imo. Center City' gave University City a 4 mile long skyline to extend and seems like Drexel is turning a blind eye to it and playing sim city.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:23 PM

Eh, I don't think it's anything spectacular. But the pros (skyline, new residents, street level activity, elimination of an empty lot) FAR outweigh the cons (bland design). And while it's no Cira Center, it's no Homes2Suites* or Southstar either. I've definitely seen worse.

But I do agree that BLT probably churns out the blandest, least interesting buildings.

*Walking by here the other day, the ground level is pretty decent. Just don't look up!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:

The original renderings had me worried. The diagonal placement though? This is Market St where the placement of skyscrapers has historically been E-W . I would have preferred that University City pick up fabulously laid out Center Citys skyline in its likeness but they are doing their own thing rather haphazardly imo. Center City' gave University City a 4 mile long skyline to extend and seems like Drexel is turning a blind eye to it and playing sim city.
The University City Science Center is a completely different entity from Drexel University.

I actually think 28 floors at 320 feet is a good height for this area. I'm sure we will see even more height go up in UCity in the coming years, as we are already seeing a good number of towers as it is. The less room there is for development in UCity and the more demand that arises, the higher the towers will be. As of right now, there is plenty of room for new towers in UCity. Don't forget, the UCity Science Center does have plans for an office building at 34th and Market which will be 25-35 floors tall and could reach over 400 feet.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 9:51 PM

[QUOTE=summersm343;6441869]I think it's one of the nicer designed towers going up in the city. IDK what your issue is with this one:

http://southernland.com/southern-lan...pment-project/

I think I know what Pennsgrant is talking about. It is certainly nicer than an empty lot, but can we get something a little more "original"? I'll tell you the truth, that when I first saw this rendering, I thought I was in the "1919 Market" thread. What is it with the "Bar Code" windows "look"?

I can think of at least 5 that follows this same pattern:

1. Morgan Hall (Temple U.)
2. Evo's façade (yes, even Evo) although it looks like the quality of material is a plus factor.
3. 1919 Market St.
4. 1900 Arch St.
5. This one
6. There were a couple others (Drexel projects)

Okay, after a while, this design gets boring. Where is the creativity anymore?

Am I just a "complainer"? Maybe I am. I like FMC's New Headquarters Bldg. for one.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 PM

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the bar code windows. (That is a really great nick name for that, because I had no idea on how to describe that style.)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 10:20 PM

I actually kind of like this design, and the diagonal setting

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 12:12 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:

1835 Market is set at a 45-degree angle to both Market and 19th, and the sky hasn't fallen.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 5:10 AM

Untitled by Music_Man84, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 6:18 PM

Thanks for the updates MusicMan!

They need to pick up the pace on this one!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Thanks for the updates MusicMan!

They need to pick up the pace on this one!
Tower crane gets erected next week!! Crane pad got poured today ahead of the storm....

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred View Post
Tower crane gets erected next week!! Crane pad got poured today ahead of the storm....
The crane showed up today.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 11:36 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:15 AM

Crane on its way up

From the Earthcam

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:39 PM

Tower crane is up. Got a pic of it that I'll post later

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive