HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 1:33 AM
heavy user of walkability

couple random things...

another look at the east side of Azure as it meets the little pedestrian walkway, now that it is more complete. this is the corner at Long Bridge:

the west end of Mariposa Park showing the winding path along the lawn's edge:

the new stretch of Owens, looking north from Mariposa. pretty much cleared, so maybe the roadwork will get going in earnest soon. site of 'the Exchange' on the left:

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 9:52 PM
Metal Up Your !

I just drove through Mission Bay for the first time. I have to say, it looks much much nicer in person. Great looking neighborhood. All the buildings looked high quality, both in design and materials. I hope to explore it by foot soon!

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 5:17 PM

few things...

since the fences are coming down, here's another shot of Azure as it meets the walkway between it and the Mercy Housing complex next door:

looking SW down the slowly-coalescing Long Bridge St:

they've been working on the eastern section of the realigned Mission Rock St between Third and Terry Francois (the western section on the north side of the public safety building has already been paved since it is the outlet for the fire trucks, which have moved in).

as pointed out in earlier posts, the old alignment is indicated by the row of telephone poles on the left here:

another look at the old firehouse and All Is Well Bell Plaza:

and a new angle, looking west from China Basin St toward the Family House site across Third:

just a 'before' picture of what will be the intersection of 16th St and Terry Francois (hopefully with an arena plaza on the right). looking west:

on the south side of this intersection (parcel P23), a look at the sewer work which seems to be getting close to finished:

a little further south, less intensive work has been going on on parcel P24:

Mariposa Park, which should open soon:

shots from the Rutter Center. the shroud is off part of block 5 that sticks up above the rest:

because I know people have missed it, Kaiser!

and with EQR Potrero bonus:

and in context from the north:

Last edited by timbad; May 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:11 AM

block 7

block 7W should break ground any week now...

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:20 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice shots, timbad. Excellent coverage as usual. It is fascinating to see an entire area come together from scratch like this.

I'm sure most of you are as disappointed as I am that the Giants are lowering the height of their tallest building at Mission Rock from 380' to 240'. That was our last hope for something to punch up over the rest and add some visual interest to the MB skyline. I just hope they nail it at street level.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 5:52 PM

Nice pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I'm sure most of you are as disappointed as I am that the Giants are lowering the height of their tallest building at Mission Rock from 380' to 240'. That was our last hope for something to punch up over the rest and add some visual interest to the MB skyline. I just hope they nail it at street level.
Yup. NIMBYism is screwing this city over constantly. It's also the reason the giants are promising not to build anything within 100 feet of the waterfront....the same waterfront that was already planned to have a large park between it and the giants development on one side, and which is already blocked off by ugly piers on the other side. And NIMBYs are probably still going to freak out over this project.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:41 PM

Uber starting construction in the fall.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...-s-6289792.php

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:20 PM

Another potential project not actually in Mission Bay, but since it's UCSF, I'll stick it here. UCSF reportedly considering purchasing 590 and 600 Minnesota in Dogpatch to build 1000 units of student housing.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...nt-6292933.php

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:42 PM

More UCSF news near Mission Bay...$50 million gift to help fund a new 140,000 square foot mental health facility on the south side of 18th between Third and Tennessee. UCSF had a smaller version of this project in mind for the site nearly a decade ago before it was put on hold. Looks like with the Mission Bay campus nearly built out and the hospital up and running, the time is now right.

Should help free up Langley Porter space at Parnassus campus...that building is ultimately slated to be demolished and replaced by a new seismically improved hospital building.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2015/06/130...lion-gift-ucsf

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 5:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Looks like the 5M development isn't the only one trying to stave off opponents by adding an abundance of BMR:

Quote:
The San Francisco Giants will offer an unprecedented amount of affordable housing when the team builds the proposed Mission Rock mixed-use project on a parking lot next to AT&T Park, staving off a November ballot countermeasure.

The Giants announced that the 28-acre project, built on land controlled by the Port of San Francisco, will include 40 percent of its 1,500 apartments priced to various levels for affordability.

The team still needs support from voters in November to start the approval process for the project, but Supervisor Jane Kim has withdrawn her threat to draw up a counter-measure that would shorten building heights and require more affordable housing. All 11 supervisors and Mayor Ed Lee endorsed the project.
---------
How affordable can those units be? They will range from those reserved for low-income people (12 percent are for people making $32,000 to $39,000) to units for middle-income residents (21 percent are for people making $64,200 to $85,000 and 7 percent for people making $108,000).
Not having a competing ballot measure should help in November, as will the second paragraph here, hopefully:

Quote:
The project will also include about eight acres of parks, a new home for Anchor Steam Brewery at Pier 48 and about 1.5 million square feet of commercial space. The latter will likely be a big moneymaker for the Giants that could help pay for a lot of garlic fries – and large player contracts.

Plus, a Giants release notes, “the project provides more than $100 million in up-front development fees to the City and more than $25 million each year in taxes.”

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 3:09 AM

just got back after being away for a month, and found two fancy mailers from the Giants re: Mission Rock in my mailbox, emphasizing affordability and open space - at least they seem to have learned what they need to do in this city to have a chance to get this through. I'm feeling optimistic for them

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:20 AM

having issues uploading photos for the moment, but I can report a few notables from a walkabout this weekend:

- the asphalt has begun to be scraped up on block 7W

- mobile cranes and what looks like augur pile equipment are on-site for the Exchange

- all the storage containers have been carted off at the SF Self-Storage on Seventh and Hooper

- scaffolding starting to come down on block 5 (and Strata across the street, finally)

Last edited by timbad; Jun 30, 2015 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:42 AM

this morning, equipment was tearing up the asphalt in the triangular parking lot along the creek (block 1), where the hotel will be.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 2:46 PM

Last official update I saw on that was last November, saying construction would start 4Q15. I haven't seen what brand will be on the hotel so far.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...bay-hotel.html

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 12:56 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Looks like they have redesigned the condo portion a bit:

Source: Socketsite.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 6:06 AM

<-- ah, I should have said 'where the 350 condos will be', since WC is right that the hotel portion is still a few months away from breaking ground

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Another potential project not actually in Mission Bay, but since it's UCSF, I'll stick it here. UCSF reportedly considering purchasing 590 and 600 Minnesota in Dogpatch to build 1000 units of student housing.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...nt-6292933.php
still catching up on things...

I've always liked 600 Minnesota's character and hoped it could be repurposed, but it does also have the disadvantage of abutting that ramp to Potrero Hill. in general, if UCSF wants to breathe some life into those first couple blocks south of Mariposa, great. the impression I have is of a dead zone between UCSF and where Dogpatch starts to become lively.

same with the parcel for the mental health facility - that lot has been crying out for development these last few years, and would be welcome to see it put to good use.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:13 AM

think I have my photo issue sorted for a while at least. a few shots from today:

mostly just because the lighting was interesting, here's a shot of the entrance to the new part of Fourth St:

the new work on the condo site along the creek:

scaffolding coming down on block 5 (MB360); the view along Fourth St. silvery panels still being installed:

the view north up Fourth, with block 5 on the left:

initial piles on block 7W, and Family House rising in the background, as seen from Fourth St:

a surprise to me, another chunk of a block between Third and Illinois is being redone, this time between Mariposa and 18th. the gap in the block as seen from the southbound T-Third stop:

... and closer up:

the Exchange site on 16th, looking south:

next to this site, work on the southern part of Owens appears to have stopped for the time being. only the northern part connecting 16th to the parking garage has been open for the last few months.

view from Rutter Center roof:

looks like they're getting ready to connect Channel to the roundabout:

(without the fence)

Kaiser as seen from the roundabout. it has some terra-cotta-colored slats mounted now. overall still underwhelming

the buildings along Channel as seen from the west:

other notes:

- access down Long Bridge St is now open through from Fourth, since Azure is wrapping up. last I checked (last week), the playground was not open yet

- Mariposa Park next to the hospital is still not open, though looks lush and nicely done through its chainlink fence

Last edited by timbad; Jul 20, 2015 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 12:49 AM

great shots!

As always, great photos - thank you, timbad!

Family House

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
think I have my photo issue sorted for a while at least. a few shots from today:

mostly just because the lighting was interesting, here's a shot of the entrance to the new part of Fourth St:

the new work on the condo site along the creek:

scaffolding coming down on block 5 (MB360); the view along Fourth St. silvery panels still being installed:

the view north up Fourth, with block 5 on the left:

initial piles on block 7W, and Family House rising in the background, as seen from Fourth St:

a surprise to me, another chunk of a block between Third and Illinois is being redone, this time between Mariposa and 18th. the gap in the block as seen from the southbound T-Third stop:

... and closer up:

the Exchange site on 16th, looking south:

next to this site, work on the southern part of Owens appears to have stopped for the time being. only the northern part connecting 16th to the parking garage has been open for the last few months.

view from Rutter Center roof:

looks like they're getting ready to connect Channel to the roundabout:

(without the fence)

Kaiser as seen from the roundabout. it has some terra-cotta-colored slats mounted now. overall still underwhelming

the buildings along Channel as seen from the west:

other notes:

- access down Long Bridge St is now open through from Fourth, since Azure is wrapping up. last I checked (last week), the playground was not open yet

- Mariposa Park next to the hospital is still not open, though looks lush and nicely done through its chainlink fence

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 11:56 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Because it's been awhile since I've posted one of these...

[IMG]Mission Bay by Jim Bolinger, on Flickr[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development