HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:12 AM

Regional terms for corner stores/bodegas

What are the different regional terms for the neighborhood mom and pop stores? New York calls them "bodegas", and some places in the U.S. refer to them as "corner stores". Some places may also call them "liquor stores". Are there any other terms used to identify them?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:45 AM

“Newsagents” here are much the same thing, though they will sell at best packaged food and never have the deli counter that some bodegas might.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:50 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Convenience Store.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 1:01 AM

In Metro Detroit, party stores.

In NYC, usually bodegas, but sometimes delis or Korean delis (they're rarely Korean these days, more likely run by someone from Yemen or Bangledesh, but I still often hear the term).

Of course all these terms are nonsensical. Why "party stores"? Not a place for party favors. Why "bodegas"? Usually means wine storage in Spanish-speaking countries. Korean delis aren't Korean or delis (though they usually have made-to-order sandwiches, which might account for the distinction with bodegas).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 2:44 AM

My extended family in New Brunswick calls them "Beckers".

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 2:46 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Convenience stores. Just no cats.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 2:59 AM

Individual locally owned shops were referred to as the corner store in the Vancouver area where I grew up.

Convenience stores were for chain stores, such as 7-11.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:23 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Individual locally owned shops were referred to as the corner store in the Vancouver area where I grew up.

I'd say chicago roughly lines up with those terms and that distinction in their use as well.

I've never heard anyone here use the word "bodega".

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:48 AM

I grew up in Erie PA. They were both corner stores and bodegas.

Bodegas were usually owneed by Puerto Ricans or Dominicans. Corner stores were usually owned by Italians or Greeks.

The corner store down the street from my house growing up was called the Colonial Pantry (there was nothing really "Colonial" about it). It was owned by Greeks.

In Pittsburgh, it's corner store. I've never heard 'bodega' in Pittsburgh, there's no such thing there.

In Miami, they really don't exist in the same way. Sometimes they're called "markets" or "farm stores". Or people just say "CVS" or "Walgreens"

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:52 AM
E pluribus unum

I'm still not sure if "pony keg" is strictly a liquor store or a mini mart in Cincinnati?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:17 AM

In Montreal, since the mid seventies, they are called "Dépanneurs", or deps by French and English speakers alike. The word Dépanneur refers to something between a helper and a rescuer. When I was a kid in the sixties and seventies, they were called Tabagie which is an erroneous name for a tobacco shop or cigar store. In France, they are called "Tabac" which is straight "tobacco". Tabagie refers to the habit of smoking. A lot of corner stores were also called "Variétés" or variety store.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Southern Ontario as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
In Montreal, since the mid seventies, they are called "Dépanneurs", or deps by French and English speakers alike. The word Dépanneur refers to something between a helper and a rescuer. When I was a kid in the sixties and seventies, they were called Tabagie which is an erroneous name for a tobacco shop or cigar store. In France, they are called "Tabac" which is straight "tobacco". Tabagie refers to the habit of smoking. A lot of corner stores were also called "Variétés" or variety store.
Also Dépanneuse means tow truck.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 2:55 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

“the corner” or corner store. heres a few from neighborhoods ive lived in over the years where i was a regular. not all are on corners of course...

gustinemarket.weebly.com

i1.ypcdn.com

patch.com

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:09 PM

Grew up calling them delicatessens, but today there seems to be no rhyme or reason in what they are called, although most often by store name (and not always the right name). Local chains called The Corner Store and Convenient Food Mart have almost become generic for most any chain store. Stores call themselves market, deli, min-mart, express mart. Although I have seen some referred to as "bodegas" in local press or online reviews, I pass this off as authors who may have moved here from NYC. Never heard it from a local.

Ray Market
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Corner Mart
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Express Deli
by bpawlik, on Flickr

IMG_2434
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Main Food
by bpawlik, on Flickr
Black Rock Market by bpawlik, on Flickr

Last edited by benp; Jan 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
In Pittsburgh, it's corner store. I've never heard 'bodega' in Pittsburgh, there's no such thing there.
Do corner stores really even exist here though?

I mean, Pittsburgh is not the type of city that really has "scattered corner storefronts in a residential area" as a building typology. Either you have a commercial strip or you have nothing. And the type of businesses which end up on corners aren't really convience-store type places (unless they are literal gas stations).

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:44 PM

Another thing is that corner stores are kind of a dying breed.

Sprawl doesn't have corner stores. Small town America has very few, wiped out by Walmarts and Dollar Generals. The Sunbelt has few. Older urban cities have them, but 7-11s, Wawas and the like are taking over.

Even in NYC, bodegas are disappearing. The NYT did an analysis a few years back, and the number has dropped by half or something in the last few years. And we have few 7-11s. The remainder seem to be renovating into mini gourmet markets, in gentrifying areas, or barely hanging on in working class areas.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Another thing is that corner stores are kind of a dying breed.

Sprawl doesn't have corner stores. Small town America has very few, wiped out by Walmarts and Dollar Generals. The Sunbelt has few. Older urban cities have them, but 7-11s, Wawas and the like are taking over.

Even in NYC, bodegas are disappearing. The NYT did an analysis a few years back, and the number has dropped by half or something in the last few years. And we have few 7-11s. The remainder seem to be renovating into mini gourmet markets, in gentrifying areas, or barely hanging on in working class areas.
Well 7-11s are basically corner stores, they're just chain. Circle K is pretty big in Canadian suburbs too (not sure what Wawas are like, they don't exist here). Then gas stations are basically the same thing too in terms of size and products.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Outside of Asia, Montreal is the king of the corner store (Dépanneurs). Every block in the inner city and first ring of pre WW2 suburbs has one. Helps that they sell beer.

In Asia, however, corner stores are everyfuckingwhere. Especially in Japan, where they sell lots of on-the-go meals, in addition to all the things you would expect in corner stores, and much more besides, with far more competitive pricing vis a vis supermarkets, etc.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
In Metro Detroit, party stores.

In NYC, usually bodegas, but sometimes delis or Korean delis (they're rarely Korean these days, more likely run by someone from Yemen or Bangledesh, but I still often hear the term).

Of course all these terms are nonsensical. Why "party stores"? Not a place for party favors. Why "bodegas"? Usually means wine storage in Spanish-speaking countries. Korean delis aren't Korean or delis (though they usually have made-to-order sandwiches, which might account for the distinction with bodegas).
Yeah, I always thought "party store" was the more refined way of saying "liquor store".

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Well 7-11s are basically corner stores, they're just chain. Circle K is pretty big in Canadian suburbs too (not sure what Wawas are like, they don't exist here). Then gas stations are basically the same thing too in terms of size and products.
Is Circle K not also a gas station in Canada? Here in St. Louis it used to only be the convenience store attached to a different branded gas station, then seemingly overnight they bought out all the different gas stations they were attached to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions