HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:28 AM
recession proof

Speaking of junk food, I recently tried New Brunswick (Mennonite owned?) Covered Bridge all-dressed potato chips and wasn't impressed. I mostly eat corn chips or those slightly healthier corn-based PopCorners. (Today by accident I double toasted my corn tortillas and they turned into very tasty corn chips. I dip mine in Wellesley apple butter.)

Aside from $1.49 NN/Walmart branded chips, any local favorites?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:38 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Speaking of junk food, I recently tried New Brunswick (Mennonite owned?) Covered Bridge all-dressed potato chips and wasn't impressed...
Hmm... you didn't happen to be in NB over the weekend did you?

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:40 AM
Great White Norf

Witnesses say a small car, possibly Nissan Micra was seen speeding away near the scene of the fire

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Do you weigh pizza slices?
No, just chips. Specifically 200g No Name low salt ripple chips. Well, really specifically, the one bag that I happened to have. My life’s work, and I can report that 100% of my research examples weighed at least 200g, bag and air (nitrogen?) included.

Having accomplished all that, I feel I can call it quits, and officially retire from a successful career.

I’m sure there are many TikTok users who are weighing pizza slices, if you wish to continue with the research legacy that I started.

To wrap up my reporting, I conclude that the subject of my research was particularly tasty, when combined with Philadelphia herb and spice chip dip and a Propeller Azacca session India pale ale. Science can be truly satisfying…

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
No, just chips. Specifically 200g No Name low salt ripple chips. Well, really specifically, the one bag that I happened to have. My life’s work, and I can report that 100% of my research examples weighed at least 200g, bag and air (nitrogen?) included.

Having accomplished all that, I feel I can call it quits, and officially retire from a successful career.

I’m sure there are many TikTok users who are weighing pizza slices, if you wish to continue with the research legacy that I started.

To wrap up my reporting, I conclude that the subject of my research was particularly tasty, when combined with Philadelphia herb and spice chip dip and a Propeller Azacca session India pale ale. Science can be truly satisfying…
That sounds like an interesting study. I would like to repeat your study. However, Victoria does not have a Loblaws store and I don't want to drive out to suburbia (Langford). I live is what is generally no-name and PC desert. There are a few items that make their way into the local Shoppers. I will do the study using Walmart chips.

As for precise weight of food, one of the more challenging things is blocks of cheider cheese. I was recently at an event where there was a group applying AI to the problem of controlling the machine that slices big blocks into smaller ones for packaging. Last thing you would want is to give the consumer a few extra grams of cheese.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 1:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Do you weigh pizza slices? I noticed Loblaws MLG had pizza slices for $5, some clearly larger than others. Or how about phone plans? I pay $40/month for 75GB of US&Canada data from Public Mobile, while some of you may pay $90/month from Robgers.

Is it fraudulent to go to UWO, pay the same tuition as everyone else yet get a C instead of an A from Molson Ex?
Thanks for a basket full of red herrings today. These are in no way similar (and I can't believe I am wasting time typing this out).

Come on.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:06 PM
recession proof

Wow, if you can't make money using old inefficient equipment, you burn it down eh. We've seen this before at other older food production facilities across Canada. (I could be wrong, but it reminds me of all the random bank barn fires throughout Ontario, like my neighbors which happened after the farmer had complained of losing money, his children were all at university and he'd hurt his back. Replaced with state of the art facility moving from dairy to easier to operate poultry operations.)

Potato futures are hitting record highs, so farmers think they can make more money selling than processing?

Last edited by urbandreamer; Mar 4, 2024 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
But cotton bags are worse for the environment than plastic bags, so if people continue the trend of just buying more bags the problem gets even worse

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4822660
It's not just the consumer's behavior that makes them accumulate these bags, but the stores themselves can also be responsible for it.
Every couple months I online order groceries from Walmart and most of the items delivered to me are bagged in these reusable bags (not cotton, but polypropylene) . I get about 5 of them on every order.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:57 PM

Dunno if labels are misleading or lying, but am noticing just smaller portions for same price points where contents can be reduced( I.e. shrinkflation).

Stuff like litres of milk, dozen eggs etc are what they are and seeing prices rise.

Is it greed or just inflation costs of operating being passed on to consumers to cover the really tight margins grocers have.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Dunno if labels are misleading or lying, but am noticing just smaller portions for same price points where contents can be reduced( I.e. shrinkflation).

Stuff like litres of milk, dozen eggs etc are what they are and seeing prices rise.

Is it greed or just inflation costs of operating being passed on to consumers to cover the really tight margins grocers have.
If the grocers were simply trying to keep up with supply-chain inflation, then their profits over the last few years would be relatively unchanged. However, we're seeing Canadian grocers with record profits.
If it were just one of these companies we could dismiss it as being more efficient and cutting costs, etc... but for all of them to have record profits during inflationary times is too much of a coincidence that points to nothing else but greed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:51 PM
Mooderator

I'm mad about bacon. Shrinking sizes, raising prices and I've seen more and more packs just full of fat.

Stupid addictive salty bacon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
If the grocers were simply trying to keep up with supply-chain inflation, then their profits over the last few years would be relatively unchanged. However, we're seeing Canadian grocers with record profits.
If it were just one of these companies we could dismiss it as being more efficient and cutting costs, etc... but for all of them to have record profits during inflationary times is too much of a coincidence that points to nothing else but greed.
Record profits in the absolute sense sure, because everything costs more. Their margins are still pretty small though. Not defending these big players, but that's what they are publicly reporting on their financials.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:47 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I'm mad about bacon. Shrinking sizes, raising prices and I've seen more and more packs just full of fat.

It's absolutely wild to me that I can now get much higher quality bacon from fancy local butchers on Roncesvalles for only slightly more than the inferior product at No Frills. And when we're staying at our place in Napanee there's an excellent local butcher that's in fact considerably cheaper than either of the 2 big grocery options (No Frills/Metro).

If I have to pay high prices I'll go for the quality product, so I rarely buy meat from the grocery store at this point. Farm Boy would be an exception as they have surprisingly cheap sausages.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:54 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
It's absolutely wild to me that I can now get much higher quality bacon from fancy local butchers on Roncesvalles for only slightly more than the inferior product at No Frills. And when we're staying at our place in Napanee there's an excellent local butcher that's in fact considerably cheaper than either of the 2 big grocery options (No Frills/Metro).

If I have to pay high prices I'll go for the quality product, so I rarely buy meat from the grocery store at this point. Farm Boy would be an exception as they have surprisingly cheap sausages.
I'm from the prairies and obviously cannot live without bacon. Napanee is not that long of a drive.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

And adding water to meat.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The big five banks are making money hand over fist, while service fees are rising, branches are closing, and less and less is included in banking packages.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:17 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The big five banks are making money hand over fist, while service fees are rising, branches are closing, and less and less is included in banking packages.
Our exclusive overdraft 5 dollar fee when you are not even near being overdraft.

Just in case! We've got your back! Just in case!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:57 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Thanks for a basket full of red herrings today. These are in no way similar (and I can't believe I am wasting time typing this out).

Come on.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Our exclusive overdraft 5 dollar fee when you are not even near being overdraft.

Just in case! We've got your back! Just in case!
Scrotumbank...We're richer than you think!!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:29 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Scrotumbank...We're richer than you think!!
Bags of money. Scrotum. I get it now!

Scrotum McCock.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada