HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:41 PM

^ Great picture!

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:52 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:12 PM

Hopefully when TV news dies in a few years and CTV doesn't need trucks and vans anymore, TNSE will fill in that parking area with more building. Their offices are already bursting at the seams.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the old bookstore at that corner once construction wraps up. Is it nice inside? Never been.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:29 PM
What could go wrong?

True North is already looking at what to do with the bookstore property. They acknowledge that a 1 to 2 storey building is not the best use for a site on such a soon to be prominent corner. We will likely see something more substantial proposed for that site one the Sutton property is complete.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:33 PM
What could go wrong?

I would love to see something like The Edge Building in Edmonton but possibly with some brick.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Hopefully when TV news dies in a few years and CTV doesn't need trucks and vans anymore, TNSE will fill in that parking area with more building. Their offices are already bursting at the seams.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the old bookstore at that corner once construction wraps up. Is it nice inside? Never been.
The former bookstore is not that old by downtown standards, it's an early 80s build IIRC. A very well kept building that was only ever occupied by one tenant.

That said, I am intrigued by Biff's comment. As much as I like the idea of developing that site, it is fairly small... I'm not sure what you could really build there. Could you realistically fit a 10+ storey building on that site?

I always sort of thought TNSE would eventually work out a deal with RWB to acquire their residence and then use that site for TNS phase 3. They could probably then fit RWB's residence into that development or on a site nearby.

EDIT: something like the Edge would be awesome for that site. I really like that building. It would be the one corner in downtown Winnipeg to my knowledge where all 4 buildings on the corner are from this century.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
True North is already looking at what to do with the bookstore property. They acknowledge that a 1 to 2 storey building is not the best use for a site on such a soon to be prominent corner. We will likely see something more substantial proposed for that site one the Sutton property is complete.
If they are thinking this because they recognize it as being a "prominent corner" I hope they'd consider making better use of the CTV parking area before redeveloping the bookstore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
EDIT: something like the Edge would be awesome for that site. I really like that building. It would be the one corner in downtown Winnipeg to my knowledge where all 4 buildings on the corner are from this century.
Anyone have any pics of what the power building there looked like before the arena redevelopment. Way before my time of paying attention.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
If they are thinking this because they recognize it as being a "prominent corner" I hope they'd consider making better use of the CTV parking area before redeveloping the bookstore.

Anyone have any pics of what the power building there looked like before the arena redevelopment. Way before my time of paying attention.
Hah. Agreed on the CTV parking area but unfortunately I think that will remain as long as CTV is in there. But man, I wish they'd at least obscure the parking with some frosted glass or some such. The fact that it's open to the street is annoying.

But to the second point, the powerhouse looks the same as it always did. The only difference is that the western half of the development that houses offices was built in 2003/04. There was a surface lot there before IIRC.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Hah. Agreed on the CTV parking area but unfortunately I think that will remain as long as CTV is in there. But man, I wish they'd at least obscure the parking with some frosted glass or some such. The fact that it's open to the street is annoying.

But to the second point, the powerhouse looks the same as it always did. The only difference is that the western half of the development that houses offices was built in 2003/04. There was a surface lot there before IIRC.
That's what I meant – was curious what was there before, thanks!

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 9:53 PM

This morning I saw a small drill rig pulling onto the Sutton lot, looked like possibly the start of some geo-tec work

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:

And before the surface lot there was the old multi level stables for the delivery horses that was turned into staff parking. I recall my cousin who was an Eaton's manager saying the managers were given parking in that building to make space available in the Eaton's lots available for paying customers.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 6:12 PM

I would love to see pictures if anyone can find.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:20 AM

Quote:
I would love to see pictures if anyone can find.
If you go here http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/%7Ewyatt...uterbuses.html and look at the last 5 pictures you can see the building that I was talking about in the background.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:34 AM

@kassietuba

@melissakm89

@whilewewanderr

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:38 AM

Very nice pictures.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:42 AM
BANNED

Some beautiful pics, WPG_GUY.

Those pics are so fly.

They brang a tear to my eye.

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 1:59 PM
There is always a way

300 main's height should be really evident from that last angle when complete.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If you go here http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/%7Ewyatt...uterbuses.html and look at the last 5 pictures you can see the building that I was talking about in the background.
That’s awesome, thanks! I like that TN tried to replicate the feeling of the old building there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post

@kassietuba
The triangle lot is the one in downtown I’d love to see developed most - I think even before the P&M one, and the McD/Bann off Waterfront (I know, call me crazy). It is/should be the gateway to the Exchange, and right now it’s desolate.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:42 PM
Source?

Quote:
The triangle lot is the one in downtown I’d love to see developed most - I think even before the P&M one, and the McD/Bann off Waterfront (I know, call me crazy). It is/should be the gateway to the Exchange, and right now it’s desolate.
That lot would do a lot to connect Portage and the SHED area with the exchange, which would be amazing!

It's also a great opportunity for a very unique looking building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan