HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 6:30 PM

So what actual interchanges are actually planned?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 7:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduy View Post
So what actual interchanges are actually planned?
Hwy 1 & 16 - 2011 - $100 million
Hwy 59 N and the Perimeter Hwy - 2011 - $100+
Kenaston Blvd & Bishop Grandin Flyover - 2010 - $30
Centreport Canada Way & Perimeter Hwy - 2010 - $60
Centreport Canada Way Flyover of CPR Tracks - 2010 - $30

These are the ones i know that are confirmed.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 11:08 PM
Heart of the Continent

What about the Saskatchewan Avenue flyover?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 12:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i think that is dead a dead end now

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 12:13 AM
Heart of the Continent

Really? hmmm.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 4:04 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Hwy 1 & 16 - 2011 - $100 million
Hwy 59 N and the Perimeter Hwy - 2011 - $100+
Kenaston Blvd & Bishop Grandin Flyover - 2010 - $30
Centreport Canada Way & Perimeter Hwy - 2010 - $60
Centreport Canada Way Flyover of CPR Tracks - 2010 - $30

These are the ones i know that are confirmed.
There's supposed to be one at the TCH and Hwy. 16 near Portage too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 4:48 AM
Heart of the Continent

that's the first one on his list

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 5:16 AM

Also winnipeg is the only city I've seen with an at grade intersection only fifty feet away from the cloverleaf, and connected to the cloverleaf. Its as if their trying to find ways to slow traffic down.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 2:43 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
What about the Saskatchewan Avenue flyover?

As far as i know there were rumours that it had been cut. I believe that in fact nothing had been changed from the original plan. I will try to confirm this.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Also winnipeg is the only city I've seen with an at grade intersection only fifty feet away from the cloverleaf, and connected to the cloverleaf. Its as if their trying to find ways to slow traffic down.
Which interchange in particular are you talking about?

At grade intersections as part of interchanges are quite popular in North America - they are called Partial Cloverleafs. They prevent the potential accidents where you have people leaving and entering the highway from the same lane (weaving).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial...af_interchange

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 5:06 PM

Thats a Very cool article, thanks rypinion. I believe your right about the partial At grade intersections, but how many are controlled by lights? I'm talking about the one on Lag. And the Perimeter. Maybe there is a logical reason to install lights instead of stop signs but Its beyond me.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Which interchange in particular are you talking about?

At grade intersections as part of interchanges are quite popular in North America - they are called Partial Cloverleafs. They prevent the potential accidents where you have people leaving and entering the highway from the same lane (weaving).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial...af_interchange
The cloverleafs with arterial roads (such as Portage Avenue, Pembina Highway and Main Street) should be converted to parclos to remove the weaving from the Perimeter, while the arterial road does not need to be free-flowing there. The only cloverleaf that needs to remain free-flowing is with Highway 1E (assuming Highway 1W is bypassed from Portage Avenue and Highway 75 is bypassed from Pembina Highway), and that should be done with additional flyover ramps.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Thats a Very cool article, thanks rypinion. I believe your right about the partial At grade intersections, but how many are controlled by lights? I'm talking about the one on Lag. And the Perimeter. Maybe there is a logical reason to install lights instead of stop signs but Its beyond me.
i believe a good example of what you're talking about is pembina @ jubilee. NB pembina having to stop to let jubilee file-in makes the overpass there 50% redundant! altho, just a block away in all directions is a light-controlled intersection anyway, so it doesn't even matter...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 9:18 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
that's the first one on his list
Lol...d'uh to me. Sorry , I've got a cold. Sometimes the hamster falls asleep in the wheel.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
i believe a good example of what you're talking about is pembina @ jubilee. NB pembina having to stop to let jubilee file-in makes the overpass there 50% redundant! altho, just a block away in all directions is a light-controlled intersection anyway, so it doesn't even matter...
It eliminates a southbound traffic light for Pembina Hwy. Perhaps when the third northbound lane is added to the Pembina underpass it will allow for elimination of that traffic light? Then again, the majority of the traffic from Jubilee ends up turning left at Harrow or Stafford anyways which could make for a dangerous traffic situation with traffic from Jubilee trying to cut across a couple of lanes of 60+kph traffic.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 9:22 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
That one at 59 and the Perimeter used to actually be completely free-flow but just before they built the last section of the Perimeter they added the lights. My guess is that it was a hell of a lot cheaper than to actually finish the interchange. It's supposed to be the most complex one in Manitoba when finished but that can't be too difficult to imagine. Maybe two grade separations rather than one. lol.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 11:39 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
That one at 59 and the Perimeter used to actually be completely free-flow but just before they built the last section of the Perimeter they added the lights. My guess is that it was a hell of a lot cheaper than to actually finish the interchange. It's supposed to be the most complex one in Manitoba when finished but that can't be too difficult to imagine. Maybe two grade separations rather than one. lol.
Your guess is 100% true. I find that mess to be among the most annoying joke Winnipeg/Manitoba has ever built.

If they can't do it right they should put up a 4-way stop and get it over with. This way they can save money by not having to wire up traffic lights.

Winnipeg/Manitoba really needs to start taking highway transportation much more seriously, including inner city expressways. I am happy to see a number interchanges announced in the last year, but there is a very long way to go, before Winnipeg can say they have anything even close to a modern roadway system.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I am happy to see a number interchanges announced in the last year, but there is a very long way to go, before Winnipeg can say they have anything even close to a modern roadway system.
What is now considered a modern roadway system will soon be a thing of the past. Cities with massive freeways and interchanges built in the 50s/60s are soon going to need major structural repairs. With interchanges and bridges costing 10s of millions, how do you expect city's that are already strapped for cash to pay for this infrasturcture? Borrowing? Property Taxes? Maybe tolls are the only choice...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:01 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
It eliminates a southbound traffic light for Pembina Hwy. Perhaps when the third northbound lane is added to the Pembina underpass it will allow for elimination of that traffic light? Then again, the majority of the traffic from Jubilee ends up turning left at Harrow or Stafford anyways which could make for a dangerous traffic situation with traffic from Jubilee trying to cut across a couple of lanes of 60+kph traffic.
Yes, they were just trying to speed the flow of traffic by eliminating the left turns between Pembina and Jubilee. They weren't trying to create a high speed freeway interchange. It was a cheap place to build a highway overpass because the railway underpass was already there and most of the land was empty.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:03 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Your guess is 100% true. I find that mess to be among the most annoying joke Winnipeg/Manitoba has ever built.
It's just temporary until funding can be obtained for a full rebuild. It was either that or not have Highway 101 built around Transcona.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan