HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:16 AM

Great year Guys. Well done.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:10 PM

At the end of the day it was a great run. If Maurice would have taken my calls I think I could have helped the team but I feel like the hockey gods did everything they could to sway the series. We were just as good as they were, we just never got a bounce. Now Chevy needs to go to work and make sure this team remains relatively unchanged without breaking the bank and we try again next year.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:14 PM

You will see changes next year. I doubt the third pairing is going to stay the same, I suspect Enstrom is on his way out, and there's no guarantee Statsny will stick around. There's also no guarantees on the third and fourth lines. New players will be moved in. But if done properly the team should be improved next year.

I should say though that I have never been convinced that Maurice is going to be the guy who can take them to the next level.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
You will see changes next year. I doubt the third pairing is going to stay the same, I suspect Enstrom is on his way out, and there's no guarantee Statsny will stick around. There's also no guarantees on the third and fourth lines. New players will be moved in. But if done properly the team should be improved next year.

I should say though that I have never been convinced that Maurice is going to be the guy who can take them to the next level.
I see Enstrom and Stastny as definitely not returning but with Roslovic, Appleton and Vaselainen waiting to get full time rolls on offense and Morrow, Niku, Kulikov, Morrisey on our left side defense. I think we are in great shape on both ends of the puck without having to make any real changes. We jsut need to make sure to manage the cap this year so we can sign everybody next year also. We have at least 8 major signings to make the next 2 years.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:42 PM

I hope kulikov stays healthy.

Last edited by dennis; May 22, 2018 at 3:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 6:27 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:

No chance Stastny will be back. He’s way overvalued now, so some other team can and will overpay for him.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:44 PM

Which is unfortunate because he fit so well.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:27 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Which is unfortunate because he fit so well.
And it doesn't look like Enstrom will be back either. Unfortunate end to a good career in Winnipeg. His wife basically tweeted goodbye to Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
No chance Stastny will be back. He’s way overvalued now, so some other team can and will overpay for him.
Or do you trade Little in order to be able to afford him. I think Chevy would consider that.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:40 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Or do you trade Little in order to be able to afford him. I think Chevy would consider that.
As of right now, the Jets have about 20 million in cap space. You would have to do some creative accounting given that Trouba, Morrissey and Helle are due for big pay raises.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:59 PM

Enstrom's NMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
And it doesn't look like Enstrom will be back either. Unfortunate end to a good career in Winnipeg. His wife basically tweeted goodbye to Winnipeg.
Just think, had Enstrom not waived his NMC he'd have been picked up by Vegas and would be going to the SCF. He's kicking himself two ways now (how was anybody to guess Vegas was going all the way). I wonder if Maurice even considered any of this before scratching him that third game?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Just think, had Enstrom not waived his NMC he'd have been picked up by Vegas and would be going to the SCF. He's kicking himself two ways now (how was anybody to guess Vegas was going all the way). I wonder if Maurice even considered any of this before scratching him that third game?
That's not how waiving his NMC worked. Chevy bribed Vegas not to take Enstrom by giving them a first round pick which is why they took Thorburn. If Enstrom didn't agree to waive his NMC then the Jets would have been forced to protect him and Vegas wouldn't have been able to take him anyway.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:25 PM

In the expansion draft, players with NMC's were auto-protected by them team and counted towards your quota. Buff and someone else on Winnipeg were in the same positon and there's no way around it.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
That's not how waiving his NMC worked. Chevy bribed Vegas not to take Enstrom by giving them a first round pick which is why they took Thorburn. If Enstrom didn't agree to waive his NMC then the Jets would have been forced to protect him and Vegas wouldn't have been able to take him anyway.
you are correct, I was braindead for a minute there (or else my mind just went on some weird tangent).

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 11:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Enstrom is gone. He skipped the press conference and headed back to Sweden. He was also critical of Maurice for benching him, in what is likely his final game as a Winnipeg Jet. His wife also posted on instrgam a goodbye message, thanking TNSE, the Jets players, and the city of Winnipeg for their support and ended it with saying "we will miss you." Toby is likely going to play the remainder of his career in Sweden.

There is no way Myers stays. Trouba is likely to be signed. and the Jets cannot afford 3 RHD making over $5 million per season. He will be traded, and Poolman will get a chance to be a regular in the lineup as a bottom pairing defenseman. Look for Sami Niku to replace Enstrom, on the left defensive side. The Jets will more than likely sign Morrisey to a long term contract in the neighborhood of $5-5.5 million.

Stastny is not staying, unless the Jets trade Little, but that is a long shot. Perreault will probably be on the market, to make room for younger players with ELC to come in (i.e. Roslovic, Vesalainen, or Appleton). The Jets need to resign Lowry, Tanev, and Armia. Next season, they need to sign Connor and Laine (and possibly Wheeler), so they may try to get it out of the way over the summer, especially Laine's contract. Dano will be released, and possibly Petan.

As for goaltending, Hellebuyck will be looking for a big raise ($5.5 million?) That leaves us with the dilemma of what to do with Mason, and his $4 million + contract. His trading value is at an all-time low, and he has one season left on his contract. Hutchinson will be dealt as he does not want to be here, and I have no confidence in Comrie as a backup. In an ideal situation, Mason would be dealt, and replaced by a cheaper reliable backup.

As for Maurice, he is a good coach, but not an elite coach. Gallant schooled him, and he made some questionable decisions like leaving Hendricks in the lineup too long, not taking Copp out for a few games, and not playing Roslovic more. He also sat out Kulikov despite him being ready to go at the beginning of the Vegas series, only to throw him to the wolves in the final game. He should have took Chiarot out.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:38 PM

i agree with most of the above except remove Armia from the lineup. he lead the team in "takeaways" but that no reason to keep him. remember in 2020 there's another expansion draft where we will lose a player to Seattle

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Enstrom is gone. He skipped the press conference and headed back to Sweden. He was also critical of Maurice for benching him, in what is likely his final game as a Winnipeg Jet. His wife also posted on instrgam a goodbye message, thanking TNSE, the Jets players, and the city of Winnipeg for their support and ended it with saying "we will miss you." Toby is likely going to play the remainder of his career in Sweden.

There is no way Myers stays. Trouba is likely to be signed. and the Jets cannot afford 3 RHD making over $5 million per season. He will be traded, and Poolman will get a chance to be a regular in the lineup as a bottom pairing defenseman. Look for Sami Niku to replace Enstrom, on the left defensive side. The Jets will more than likely sign Morrisey to a long term contract in the neighborhood of $5-5.5 million.

Stastny is not staying, unless the Jets trade Little, but that is a long shot. Perreault will probably be on the market, to make room for younger players with ELC to come in (i.e. Roslovic, Vesalainen, or Appleton). The Jets need to resign Lowry, Tanev, and Armia. Next season, they need to sign Connor and Laine (and possibly Wheeler), so they may try to get it out of the way over the summer, especially Laine's contract. Dano will be released, and possibly Petan.

As for goaltending, Hellebuyck will be looking for a big raise ($5.5 million?) That leaves us with the dilemma of what to do with Mason, and his $4 million + contract. His trading value is at an all-time low, and he has one season left on his contract. Hutchinson will be dealt as he does not want to be here, and I have no confidence in Comrie as a backup. In an ideal situation, Mason would be dealt, and replaced by a cheaper reliable backup.

As for Maurice, he is a good coach, but not an elite coach. Gallant schooled him, and he made some questionable decisions like leaving Hendricks in the lineup too long, not taking Copp out for a few games, and not playing Roslovic more. He also sat out Kulikov despite him being ready to go at the beginning of the Vegas series, only to throw him to the wolves in the final game. He should have took Chiarot out.
I don't think Myers is going anywhere, he may have a $5.5 million cap hit but his salary is only $3 million. Not to mention he has a NMC. If we can sign next years players under the cap then there is no need to move him. When the Laine, Connor, Wheeler contracts come up we will have Myers and Mason heading out making $10 million in Cap space available.

The team loves perrault and I don't think he will be shopped. The team has always made it very hard for young players to get into the line up... probably too hard lately. Look at Connor and Roslovic. Niku, Vaselainen, Appleton will be put into the worst position to succeed just like Connor was at the beginning of the year.

Tanev will be back maybe not Armia but neither are integral parts of this team. There are plenty of players that could replace these two such as Lemieux.

I feel like Mason will be staying to be a solid backup for us and possible trade bait, if he plays well, at the deadline.

You are 100% right about Maurice. He is such an intelligent speaker but his decisions are suspect but he's the coach we have for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Stastny is not staying
I've heard from several different (unconnected) people that Stastny is building a house at Beaverbrook and Grosvenor.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:04 PM

^ Good urbanist-minded infill location... clearly he reads this forum

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 5:37 PM

They will do their best to keep Statsny and he wants to stay. He's one of the reasons they got through the first two rounds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan