HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:39 AM

The perimeter restriction at LGA is 1,500 miles one way. (Denver is a grandfathered exception): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaGuardia_Airport

This calculates the distance between YWG and LGA as 1,292 miles:

http://tjpeiffer.com/crowflies.html

Therefore, given that YWG does have pre-clearance facilities, LGA is technically possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 12:47 PM

DFW like ORD is a AA hub. ATL as a DL hub may work, but already 3-4 dailies to MSP. SLC didn’t last long. It’s unusual for US majors to fly over their hubs for secondary / smaller markets.

I think we need to build on frequencies that we have: ORD, MSP MCO and DEN. A bit more LAS, PSP and PHX in winter would be nice. A weekly tag on to OGG or HNL via YYC or YVR could work. CP Air used to do this.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:15 PM
ILYR

Winnipeg Airports Authority Inc. 2018 First Quarter Results

Passenger traffic increased by 2.94% percent compared to the first quarter of 2017.

Winnipeg Airports Authority also saw an increase in cargo landings in the first quarter of 2018.

Full press release found here: http://www.waa.ca/media/news/article...ults-unaudited

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
DFW? It's funny because I was just talking to someone today about how Dallas is big, and not too far, but so far off of our mental maps in Winnipeg. It would be great for South American connections or just AA connections, but I have only heard of a handful of people ever going there for work or pleasure. I would think a direct to Atlanta or even Nashville (not just because of hockey) would do better. This is just opinion based on anecdotes.
Nashville is crazy right now. I have family there so we go there a lot. I would love a direct flight for that reason alone, but realistically it is in a massive boom. I believe it is now the bachelorette capital in the states, and broadway has a unique iconic vibe kind of like the strip in vegas. The music scene alone should be bringing them a ton of new direct flights from all over.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:54 PM

So, is anyone going to be Swooping down to Hamilton or Abbotsford on that new airline's cheap fares? If so, have you figured out a way to get to Toronto or Vancouver that isn't a) expensive, b) slow or c) both?

The fares are tempting but the prospect of dragging my luggage on a 1 hour plus bus ride (not to mention having to wait God knows how long if you miss the bus) diminishes the appeal of the whole thing. Who are these people going to and from Abbotsford and Hamilton so much that it can keep an entire airline afloat?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:19 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So, is anyone going to be Swooping down to Hamilton or Abbotsford on that new airline's cheap fares? If so, have you figured out a way to get to Toronto or Vancouver that isn't a) expensive, b) slow or c) both?

The fares are tempting but the prospect of dragging my luggage on a 1 hour plus bus ride (not to mention having to wait God knows how long if you miss the bus) diminishes the appeal of the whole thing. Who are these people going to and from Abbotsford and Hamilton so much that it can keep an entire airline afloat?
I've wondered the same thing. I have flown to Abbotsford a few times on Flair and rented a car. But, depending on the price of the car rental, it is still sometimes more expensive than flying with AC or WJ into Vancouver. Hamilton I did once and never again. It is not worth the hassle to get into Toronto. I would prefer to spend a bit more and actually get into TO.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:

Would hiring a car potentially work out?

That's the fastest way, but it would have to make fiscal sense. If it ends up being cheaper that might be an option, depends on how fortuitous car rentals may be for you

I have family in Oakville and good friends on the east border of Surrey so Hamilton and Abbotsford work out well for myself

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:48 PM

^ The only way I could readily see myself using Swoop to go to Abbotsford or Hamilton is I wanted to go to Niagara Falls on a little vacation. But I just did that two years ago and I don't feel the urge to go back just yet.

I dunno... maybe if I had the sudden urge to see a Bomber road game in Hamilton? That would probably be it. As enticing as the fares are it just isn't worth the hassle if your destination is either Toronto or Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

How difficult would it be to catch a GO train in the Hammer? Asking because I don't know.

Edit. Just checked it's not easy.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
How difficult would it be to catch a GO train in the Hammer? Asking because I don't know.

Getting in and out of the "Hammer" Munro airport is a pain in the ass unless renting a vehicle! Spend the extra and just fly YYZ!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

That's the surprising thing about it, they don't make it easy to use YHM.

I've used LCC airports in Europe and they've generally had good shuttle bus systems to get you out to whatever far-flung airport the LCCs use. There does not appear to be anything of the sort at YHM, though.

Not much chance that I'll be using Swoop anytime soon, I suppose. It's tough to beat the relative convenience of YYZ.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 7:57 PM

The only way it really makes sense to fly Hamilton to go to Toronto is if you were having to rent a car anyway, so you're still saving on the flight costs.

I guess you could argue the same for Abbotsford, but I've heard that route can suffer crazy delays due to construction, accidents, or rush hour at times.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 11:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:

This is about stomping Flair. Nothing else. If it makes money, that's nice too. It can also be used as a sun airline to compete with AC Rouge, Sunwing and Air Transat, since low cost is the key on those routes.

That being said, as others have mentioned, a car rental is the best option. Especially if you have a destination other than downtown Toronto or Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:17 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ding-1.4720879

Quote:
The Ground Services Equipment building will support ground handling and cargo companies operating at the airport, the authority said. Those services were previously housed in a cargo area farther away from the main terminal.

Moving them to the new space will free up area in the old cargo building and save time and fuel, Rempel said. It could also help attract more tenants to the airport, he said.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:32 PM

^ Where is the existing cargo area? I thought the cargo airlines had their own facilities, like Air Canada's at the foot of Sargent Ave.?

Also, the map shown in the CBC story contains what looks like eventual plans to expand the apron a bit to the east. If that means an expansion to the undersized transborder gate area sooner rather than later, then that would be good news.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
^ Where is the existing cargo area? I thought the cargo airlines had their own facilities, like Air Canada's at the foot of Sargent Ave.?

Also, the map shown in the CBC story contains what looks like eventual plans to expand the apron a bit to the east. If that means an expansion to the undersized transborder gate area sooner rather than later, then that would be good news.
I think this development is rental space for businesses that rely on air cargo.
Not necessarily ones that move air cargo.

That hatched area was paved last year at the same time the old terminal location was paved over.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 9:04 PM

^ Really? I suppose I never noticed that area having been paved over.

And thanks for filling me in on the cargo building. That makes sense.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 9:15 PM

According to the Free Press, there is a small expansion planned at St. Andrews Airport, the general aviation airport just north of the city.

Quote:
St. Andrew’s Airport is undergoing the first expansion since it was certified by Transport Canada in 1964.

The small aircraft airport is spending $2.3 million to build new roadways, extend a taxiway and build a new apron area to make way for 10 new lots.
An interesting factoid from the article is that St. Andrews is the 17th busiest airport in Canada by movement... that's out of 700+.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...486758421.html

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 12:49 PM

It's an expansion to the airside industrial park. Adding ten lots in the first phase on the south side of the existing business park. Each lot will have road access and airside access. I guess there is demand for this sort of thing?

Oh I guess it's all in the article. I assumed I couldn't read it, but it opened.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
It's an expansion to the airside industrial park. Adding ten lots in the first phase on the south side of the existing business park. Each lot will have road access and airside access. I guess there is demand for this sort of thing?
I was surprised to read that this was the first expansion to the St. Andrews Airport facilities (other than companies building hangars, etc.) since it was built in the 1960s.

It seems like a busy little airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan