HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 6:19 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Yes, Division does have street parking but also had the sidewalk width I was indicating. I was going to use a Parisian example but didn't want an apples-orange comparison.
But the example you gave is not an apples to apples comparison either, one street is far less commercial than the other which is why one is two lanes with wider sidewalks.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
The folks who contend that car ownership will largely go away in 15-20 years are smoking some strong stuff.
The folks who contend that autonomous vehicles will be proven practical, successfully implemented and universally adopted in 15-20 years are smoking some strong stuff.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:35 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The folks who contend that autonomous vehicles will be proven practical, successfully implemented and universally adopted in 15-20 years are smoking some strong stuff.
edit, missed autonomous lol

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:47 PM
The City

I'm loving that Clayco project. Logan square still has some horribly underutilized or auto-oriented lots, but slowly we are eating away at them

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Here we go again with blowing benign statements about sea change shifts that are already in process totally out of proportion again. I never said anything about ownership of cars ending and I certainly never said that autonomous vehicles would be "universally adapted" in 20 years. I observed that this technology is coming and will be here in the next two decades. When it arrives things change forever because it fundamentally alters what cars do and how we interact with them. It doesn't take total rejection of car ownership or universal adaptation of new technology to fundamentally shift society, it only takes a small, but significant, percentage of society choosing these new lifestyles or technologies to have a huge impact. If 10% or 20% of car owners today shift to Uber like autonomous car services by 2035, that creates a huge shift in overall demand for parking, traffic patterns, and automobile ownership models. It doesn't take everyone, it only takes a few.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 8:39 PM

Not sure if this was talked about yet:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...w-west-loop-hq
Quote:
Condos planned next to new McDonald's West Loop HQ

Peerless Real Estate Investment plans two 109-foot-tall buildings with 28 units each at 15 N. May St. and 1111 W. Washington St., according to a zoning application filed with the city. The condos would be big, with three and four bedrooms and as large as 5,000 square feet,

Peerless needs a zoning change from the city for its project, which will cost $50 million. That process begins with meetings with community groups and aldermen, who traditionally have veto power over developments in their wards.

Complicating matters for Peerless, its project straddles two Chicago wards, the 25th, represented by Ald. Danny Solis, and the 27th, represented by Ald. Walter Burnett.

Neighbors of the West Loop, meanwhile, thinks the Peerless project, at 109 feet, is too tall. The group's development committee wants the project to be no taller than a Belgravia Group condo project under construction a block away, which rises 100 feet, Matt Letourneau, chairman of the committee, said in an email.
So they want it to be no taller than the 100 foot building nearby - so 109 feet is too tall? Kind of weird, but yeah...I guess if it's 100 feet it won't be the end of the world. That's still OK density, height, etc.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 8:48 PM

that 9 feet is the deal breaker huh

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 9:18 PM

Here's a sketch of what the two suspects look like. The West Loop NIMBYs are going make sure that these two will get the proper punishment they deserve

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:09 PM

Lol seriously, what a waste of space these people are. I can't wait until demand gets so pent up in the West Loop that all efforts to stop tall buildings are crushed by more connected and established developers. The highrises are creeping slowly in. Once the ones along 290 are done and that one across from the Parker that was just proposed is built, it's going to be awfully hard to say no to other landholders who want more density.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:14 AM
Chicago

Harpo Studios Demolition - 1058 W Washington

July 26, 2016

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:19 AM
Chicago

CA Washington - 27 N Aberdeen

July 26, 2016

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:37 AM

Quote:
I suppose occupancy is not really a public policy concern, but do we have real, hard evidence that TOD occupants own fewer vehicles or drive fewer miles? The minimum parking rules we're so anxious to sweep away were, after all, put in place for a reason.
Yes, we do--in the sense that there's lots of evidence that people will own fewer cars and drive less if they have less access to free parking. I believe this has a review of some of the literature: http://www.cnt.org/publications/stal...-affordability

Parking requirements were developed for "a reason," but that reason was certainly not an analysis of car ownership rates in 1950 or whatever, and an application of that level of ownership by neighborhood. Requirements have been mostly one-size-fits-all, and premised on fairly suburban levels of ownership: up until the TOD law, you had to build the same number of spaces next to the Wilson Red Line as on the city limits in Dunning.

On top of that, it's not a one-way influence: the number of parking spaces available greatly affects the number of cars people have. If we had never required off-street parking, obviously some developers would have built it anyway, but car ownership rates would probably be lower than they are now.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:49 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto View Post
If we had never required off-street parking, obviously some developers would have built it anyway, but car ownership rates would probably be lower than they are now.

But where's the empirical proof that people living in no-parking buildings—and I'm one of them—have lower auto ownership rates than those in similar buildings with onsite parking? There's nothing in the CNT study about that; it only looks at whether some existing spaces are going unused.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:48 PM
The City

^ Where was the empirical proof in the 1950's that 1:1 parking spaces per housing unit in Chicago was reflective of actual car ownership, thus justifying the mandated ratio?

You are placing the burden of proof on a more recent policy that reverses an older policy which had never been justified to begin with. I'm hoping you're understanding what I'm trying to say

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Where was the empirical proof in the 1950's that 1:1 parking spaces per housing unit in Chicago was reflective of actual car ownership, thus justifying the mandated ratio?

You are placing the burden of proof on a more recent policy that reverses an older policy which had never been justified to begin with. I'm hoping you're understanding what I'm trying to say
There is a misconception that, like Athena, off street parking ratios sprung fully formed from the 1957 zoning code in some attempt to leave-it-to-beaverize the city.

Although less onerous ratios, (1/1 low density 1/3 high) they became a requirement in 1940.
The original '57 code's ratios were also less. (3/4 high density 1/2 efficiencies)

1/1 didn't start until 1971 when the census told us the nearly 50% of the total Chicago population drove themselves to work.

Parking ratios evolved in response to existing auto ownership, not the other way around.

Current census estimates say there are 1.1 cars per household.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but this is only Phase I, which has zero usefulness. Walk along the lakefront trail by Ogden Slip and you will see the stub end of the bridge just hanging in mid air, with no work begun on the connecting piece (Phase 2) that makes it useful.
Are their any details or renderings for Phase 3? I have never seen any detailed description for how they are going to punch through the bridge houses on the Michigan Ave bridge.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:14 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Are their any details or renderings for Phase 3? I have never seen any detailed description for how they are going to punch through the bridge houses on the Michigan Ave bridge.
There was a rendering floating around. It's not that difficult, the bridge houses are built on a steel frame so you just have to strip the stone away and create an opening for the northbound lane of the path.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
^ I hope they can pull it off, but they seem like they are woefully underprepared for this kind of thing.

They're also looking at St Adalbert's in Pilsen and Epiphany Church in West Loop, for simultaneous expansions. That's crazy. Well-managed nonprofits just don't expand that fast. Each one of those sites is a highly complex project, and their org chart is pretty lacking in people with the right experience in construction, project management, or even fundraising. It seems like just a bunch of musicians.

The Academy's applied for state grants to renovate St Adalberts, so I'm hoping they get the grant and do the needed restoration work to keep the building standing before it topples onto 17th St.
skepticism warranted. fencing has gone up. people seem to think demo is imminent.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/7/26/...pdate#comments

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
But where's the empirical proof that people living in no-parking buildings—and I'm one of them—have lower auto ownership rates than those in similar buildings with onsite parking? There's nothing in the CNT study about that; it only looks at whether some existing spaces are going unused.
All other variables being equal, buildings with on-site parking reduce the threshold of ownership. There is a certain amount of friction that has to be eased before car ownership will be worth someone's while. Of course, if there is exclusive primacy of the commute to their employment in their decision-making, and they are dead set on living where they live, then they're likely to grind through the friction and search for a street space every time they need to access their vehicle. But there must be a large amount of those whose situations place them very near the threshold of ownership, in which cases our current parking policy is pushing them to own, when they'd be quite comfortable not owning a vehicle. The TOD residents may bring vehicles into the fold, but perhaps they'll bring enough of them to create the pivotal amount of friction in the street-parking domain to get the marginal cases to ditch their cars, whether they live in a TOD or not.

Last edited by Jibba; Jul 27, 2016 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 5:15 PM

Edit: repost

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development