HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:23 PM

Internet Archive
Internet Archive

A couple of screenshots from that incredible noirish Columbia process footage of a train running through the Valley--I guess it's the Southern Pacific, with clouds of steam streaming past the lens on occasion. There are signs indicating Van Nuys and Newhall; there are farm-equipment dealers, light industry, filling stations, tourist courts, cafes--fantastic pre-boom Valley scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
A friend recently sent a link to this vintage 1946 Columbia reel. I thought it was really neat and then thought the gang her might enjoy it. http://archive.org/details/PET0981_R-5
It is a film taken from the train while moving out of the LA area at night. Hope you like it
JoeW

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 10:03 PM

A couple more nice photos from the flickr account of ozfan22, who has a nice collection:

1899-Los Angeles View by ozfan22, on Flickr

1897-Los Angeles Freeway by ozfan22, on Flickr
Description:
Early travel through the Cahuenga Pass, which connected Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley, was done on bicycles by some. This area would later become Cahuenga Blvd., just south of Whitley Terrace.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 11:52 PM

Wow, great job in decoding the 1887 balloon aerial David/3940dxer. That took some work....but it was worth it.

originally posted by 3940dxer

_____

Thanks for the airline information G_W and austlar1. I think it's great that the airlines named special routes
of course this was back when flying was highly romantic.

Also G_W, that is the first color photograph of Grand Central Air Terminal that I've seen when it was a working airport.
It's hard to believe the terminal sits empty today.

below: The 'Angels of Flight' still stand guard at the terminal.

http://www.dipity.com/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:24 AM

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/D...wdate=&hidate=

Your guess is as good as mine. The photograph is dated April 1st 1947.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:46 AM

Tempest Storm and Betty Rowland

Tempest Storm's birthday image coupled with the image of the Follies marquee showing Betty Rowland as the headliner seems to have led to some confusion. These two lovely ladies are not the same person. Betty Rowland was born Betty Jane Rowland (1916) and Tempest Storm, born Annie Blanche Banks (1928).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:04 AM

A Certain Cinema
Cornel Wilde in Shockproof, 1949.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Regarding Franchot Tone and his toney background. I briefly attended boarding school with Jeff Tone, who was Franchot Tone's son by the woman he left for Payton. I remember once when Franchot Tone visited the school and was an honored lunch guest who was introduced to all the impressionable boys at the school by the headmaster. There was no mention that Mr. Tone had this drawn out and ugly affair with the trollop Barbara Payton. We were left with the impression that Franchot Tone was an aristocratic and wealthy movie star of impeccable background. His son, Jeff, was golden and beautiful. He seemed to have such a glamorous life with homes and parents in NYC and Beverly Hills. Who knew about his agrieved mother and all the scandal!

Jean Wallace with Franchot...and then Cornel...

Jeff Tone (Thomas Jefferson Tone, who died in 2005) was one of two sons of Franchot and actress Jean Wallace, who was not without her unstable habits--
one suicide attempt with pills and another with a butcher knife when Jeff and his older brother were young--but not the crazy übertramp that Payton was.
(Franchot sure could pick 'em.) Jean seemed to get her act together when she married the thousand-times more attractive Cornel Wilde in 1955 (and who
wouldn't be happy married to him?)...at least until their bitter divorce 25 years later.

Jean had an alot of different looks over the years....

Lower pictures: A Certain Cinema; StirredStraightUp; A Certain Cinema; A Certain Cinema; A Certain Cinema; franchot.exblog.jp

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
This morning I re-discovered this old 1887 aerial balloon may and spent a few hours trying to decode the main downtown streets. Here's what I came up with -- please correct me anyone, if you notice any errors or important omissions. (I oriented it vertically for publication here, to save viewers from massive amounts of scrolling.)

Whoa ! Mjr altitude for an early manned balloon ! The street w/question mark twixt Grand and Hope would be Bunker Hill Ave. You do mean to indicate that the courthouse is over 3 inches @ Fort n Temple I gather--Sorta light triangle (the lawn? or excavation) at that intersection

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I like the street activity in this postcard of the Angelus Temple.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zilf/53...57594063877166
Once saw article in LAT of female leaper here on Aimee's front sidewalk back in the 30's --

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
[IMG]--"but not the crazy übertramp that Payton was".
You know I love you all dearly, especially you Gaylord_Wilshire, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the disparaging remarks
about Barbara Payton.

None of us can possibly understand what was going on in her mind.
For all we know she could be struggling with an undiagnosed bipolar disorder.
___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 2, 2012 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
"with the trollop Barbara Payton." -austlar1

You know I love you all dearly, especially you Gaylord_Wilshire, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the disparaging remarks
about Barbara Payton.

None of us can possibly understand what was going in her mind.
To me she seemed to be struggling with an undiagnosed bipolar disorder.

Give her the benefit of the doubt and let her rest in peace.

I'm really not interested in Barbara Payton at all, other than as a sad noir footnote. I'm not sure why we're now expected to venerate her, and I definitely won't try to give her a psychiatric evaluation, any more than I would Mickey Cohen, Virginia Hill, Hazel Glab, Betty Short, Brenda Allen or any of the other characters we've discussed. Are there to be only genteel references to the dark side of Hollywood figures of the noir era on a thread called Noirish Los Angeles?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:35 AM

I was down in Hollywood today and went by the apartment complex that E_R asked about a few pages back. I was able to get inside and spoke to a guy who was in the process of moving out. It's a pretty cool place. This is the first time I've attempted to upload pictures... I hope it goes well...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'll post these now and see if I did it right. If all goes well, I have some shots of inside the units and more of the courtyard. You old pro's at this are great to put up with the new kids

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:06 AM

Those are excellent Sean! The place really does seem enchanting. I've been waiting for someone to explore this mysterious place. Kudos

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I'm really not interested in Barbara Payton at all, other than as a sad noir footnote. I'm not sure why we're now expected to venerate her, and I definitely won't try to give her a psychiatric evaluation, any more than I would Mickey Cohen, Virginia Hill, Hazel Glab, Betty Short, Brenda Allen or any of the other characters we've discussed. Are there to be only genteel references to the dark side of Hollywood figures of the noir era on a thread called Noirish Los Angeles?
Gaylord_Wilshire:
I apologize for my post. There should be no censorship in a public forum. It was a stupid mistake on my part.

That said...who in the heck is Hazel Glab?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 2, 2012 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:41 AM

This is the front side entrance located to the right of the Historic Building sign. The mailboxes are located here and it seems to be the main in-out for the tenants.

The courtyard is full of neat things like this

Alot of units have stainglass windows

Cool turrets

The courtyard areas are very shaddy

Some of the units

Not real happy with these inside shots. The units are very small and I couldn't quite get the shots. The doorways are low and narrow, but the details are awsome.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:48 AM

Quote:
G_W
I apologize for my post. There should be no censorship in a public forum.

Who in the heck is Hazel Glab?

____
E_R, thanks, still getting a handle on the uploads, don't know why some went sideways (I do too sometimes). Hazel Glab was a real cookie... defo book worthy.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Shaw View Post
E_R, thanks, still getting a handle on the uploads, don't know why some went sideways (I do too sometimes). Hazel Glab was a real cookie... defo book worthy.
Great shots Sean!

and speaking of Hazel, we discussed her bizarre life a few months back on here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4812

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:34 AM

I recently came across this 'foreboding' apartment building on the southeast corner of 9th & Gramercy Place.

google street view

below: Studying the facade I believe the multitude of rust colored 'diamonds' are the end braces of a seismic retrofit.

google street view

below: I lightened this image to see what is carved above the entrance but the damn utility pole was in the way.

google street view.

My guess is that it says 'Chateau Du-Val' but nothing came up when I googled that name.

Wouldn't you absolutely love to rummage through the basement of this place? It sends my imagination soaring!

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:08 AM

Art deco apartments get $3.1 million renovation
Los Angeles—Chateau Du-Val, LLC, a 40-unit building here, was sold to an individual investor, Richard Stromberg, for $3.1 million. Charles Dunn Co. brokered the transaction.

"Chateau Du-Val was constructed in 1929 and is truly art deco in design, including a slate roof and leaded glass windows," said Albert Shilton, Charles Dunn senior managing director. "Aside from the unique architecture, the building wasn't rent controlled so the buyer could renovate the units and raise the rents to market," he added.

http://www.housingfinance.com/aft/ar...onal_news.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:52 PM

Great find, e_r.

Mayor Shaw--may I call you Frank? Well, Art Deco, it ain't. It's Chateauesque...that style very popular in L.A. in the '20s. Maybe the interiors are Deco... anyone care to go knocking? Btw, GREAT tour of the Normandie Towers.

Another Chateauesque building I hadn't noticed before is the Chateau La Martine at 627 S. Normandie...

LAPL

Google SV
The few interior shots I've seen of the La Martine--tiny ones online--reveal that its interiors are in concert with its
exterior. I'm always surprised to find domestic architecture still so close to Wilshire. I guess it depends on the block.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:55 PM

re: Barbara Payton

Hi Jon Paul and ethereal_reality,
If you have any questions about Barbara Payton (or about any of the places she lived at) please feel free to contact me at my email address:jod6cindy@aol.com, and I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
Thanks again for your interest and for your hospitality.
Sincerely,
John O'Dowd

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos