HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 8:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

i saw that place. over by chanatry's. any good?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 1:54 AM

Anyone have the 2009 homicide rate for Rochester, NY?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 1:21 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Finally, some good news for the Elmira area. Elmira has been on a slide for quite a while, even before this recession hit. I hope this is a good omen for the city. (From the Ithaca Journal)

Elmira Heights rail car maker to add 575 jobs
Manufacturer CAF USA lands $298M Amtrak contract
By G. Jeffrey Aaron •jgaaron@gannett.com • July 23, 2010, 7:45 pm

Elmira Heights rail car maker CAF USA has landed a $298 million contract to build 130 single-level rail cars for Amtrak, as part of Amtrak's long-term fleet renewal plan.

The five-year deal, which will mean the creation of 575 jobs at the Elmira Heights location, calls for CAF to perform all manufacturing and final assembly at the local facility. CAF will manufacture the stainless steel car shells and handle the final assembly of the cars, with the first scheduled to roll off the assembly line in October 2012.

The 130 passenger rail cars include 25 sleeping cars, 25 diners, 55 baggage cars and 25 baggage/dormitory cars that will be primarily used on interstate trains. They will replace and supplement Amtrak's existing fleet. In addition, Amtrak will begin to retire some of its oldest cars still in service, many of which date back to the 1940s and '50s.

The first year of the contract will be paid for with $29.8 million from Amtrak's current revenues, which the company said are running above estimates. Amtrak will look to finance subsequent years of the deal with other sources, such as loans or Congressional appropriations.

CAF USA is a subsidiary of the Spanish railway equipment maker CAF S.A., with a century of experience in designing and manufacturing all types of rail vehicles. But the forte of the Elmira Heights plant was making subway cars, which was a point of concern for Amtrak, said George Miner, president of Southern Tier Economic Growth.

"Amtrak uses passenger trains and there was some concern about CAF USA doing subway trains," said Miner. "But CAF has a lot of experience making passenger rail cars in Spain, and that's what we told Amtrak."

Chemung County and STEG had been working with CAF on securing the Amtrak deal for about a year, said Miner. In addition to the Elmira Heights manufacturer, Alstom Transportation Inc. in Hornell, Kawasaki in Yonkers, and Bombardier in Plattsburgh, were all vying for the contract. But because of a requirement that all of the contract-related work happen in the United States, Alstom and CAF rose to the top.

The Amtrak contract was one of several that the company, STEG and Chemung County were trying to land, said Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli.

"We knew there was a possibility that this would come through and it's great news for the community because it's a very large contract," Santulli said. "The plant is owned by CAF, but they have been going through some slow periods. They have a lot of feelers out there and we've been providing information on their ability to deliver, should they get the contracts. It's a very large plant there with tremendous potential."

CAF USA had recently secured a $118 million contract with the city of Houston's transit system for 29 new cars. But the work has been delayed until January, said Miner, when the local company should begin recalling its laid off workers.

"They should be calling about 125 to 150 people back to work for the Houston contract and then more to work on the Amtrak contract," Miner said. "But the Amtrak deal is not a two- to four-year deal. It's starting off with $298 million and will keep growing and growing as long as they can perform. It they do well, it (could) grow bigger and bigger."

Company officials couldn't be reached Friday afternoon to discuss when they would begin ramping up hiring for the Amtrak contract.

CAF USA came to Elmira Heights in 2001 when it paid about $7 million for the former Adtranz factory, making it the fourth rail car maker since 1986 to occupy the facility. CAF's first U.S. contract was a $339 million deal with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority for 192 rail cars. But since then, it has survived locally on a series of relatively small contracts and recently has been operating with a skeleton crew.

"This is a very exciting and pivotal moment in the history of CAF USA," company Vice President Virginia Verdeja said in a prepared statement. "As we move to consolidate our presence in the U.S., we view this contract as merely the first in what we hope will be many opportunities to partner with Amtrak. We look forward to combining our maximum effort and expertise with the leadership and vision that the current administration has shown where passenger rail service is concerned in the U.S."

Here's the link: http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...o+add+575+jobs

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 6:29 AM
Posh

I doubt anyone remembers, but about 3-4 years ago here I promised Rochester forumers that if I ever bought a digital camera, it would be a Kodak. Well, last week I bought a Kodak Easyshare Z981 and it arrived today. Great camera! So I thought y'all would be interested to know I kept a 3-4 year promise.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:27 AM
Closed account

IMO, the problem with upstate NY is the economy. The cost of living simply is not even to the jobs offered. I do believe things can be turned around if they bring in companies.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 11:21 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Great to hear you a man of your word 007.

Not a major news story, but Cortland has been having some tough times lately so this is a glimmer of hope ( From YNN TV news):

http://ithaca-cortland.ynn.com/conte...siness-tenant/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 9:52 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Some good news for Upstate, even if it's kind of backing into a compliment (from the Ithaca Journal):

Missing the boom proves a boon upstate, N.Y. Fed chief tells Cornellians
Region didn't have so far to fall, Dudley says

Quote:
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all doesn't apply to gains from the housing boom leading up to the 2008 crash, said the president of the New York Federal Reserve Bank in a lecture Monday at Cornell University.

To the contrary, the fact that upstate New York missed out on the rapid growth in the housing market several years ago means it is now avoiding the crippling losses felt by much of the rest of the country, he said.

"Upstate is less dependent on housing, which means it didn't participate in the boom -- maybe that's not fun then, but it's good during the bust years," William Dudley said. "Housing prices didn't rise much ... and there was very little construction employment. When the housing boom turned to bust," upstate wasn't as heavily affected.
Here's the article: http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...ls+Cornellians

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:49 PM
Old Fart Forumer

It's a baby step, but New York needs to keep its young folks from leaving.

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/537...tewide-summit/

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 9:21 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Well so much for keeping the young folks at home. From the Ithaca Journal:

Poll: 1 in 3 young NYers plans to leave NY

10:00 AM, May. 13, 2011
Written by
Michael Gormley
The Associated Press

ALBANY -- A New York poll provides grim evidence of a continuing exodus from the state, once the national leader in manufacturing and other high-paying jobs.

The NY1-YNN-Marist College poll released Thursday night finds 1 in 3 New Yorkers under age 30 plans to move to another state at some time, while 1 in 4 adults overall plans an exodus from the Empire State within five years.

"Right now, many young people do not see their future in New York state," said Marist pollster Lee Miringoff. "Unchecked, this threatens to drain the state of the next generation."

According to the survey, most of those who plan to move will do so because of economic reasons including jobs, the cost of living, and taxes. Although the recession has been officially over for months, many New Yorkers still feel the worst is yet to come.

Thirty-seven percent of New Yorkers polled feel the economy is getting worse, up from 31 percent in February's poll. The number who feels the economy is improving dropped to 16 percent, from 19 percent in February.

About half believe the economy is about the same as it was four months ago.

Miringoff said New Yorkers apparently don't see themselves in a sluggish rebound with the rest of the country, but in a sluggish economy that won't quickly change.

The American Legislative Exchange Council reported that New York lost 1.9 million residents from 1998 to 2007, most of them young and educated.

The poll questioned 941 adults from April 25 to April 29. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 points.

Here's the link:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...sectionstories

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 11:54 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Article about young folks and Upstate, but I'm not sure about the connection between the title and the examples in the article. From the Ithaca Journal:

CU study denotes changes affecting upstate

7:16 PM, Jun. 3, 2011
Written by
Rachel Stern

Young professionals are not leaving upstate New York at a higher clip than most other places in the country, said Robin Blakely-Armitage, a Cornell University Community and Regional Development Institute senior extension associate.

The real problem is that upstate's young adults are not returning to the area when they are ready to start families, she said.

"In upstate the challenge is attraction back," she said. "We have heard a lot of the 25-34 age group wants to return, but the challenge is finding good employment. They know the environment is great, quality of life is great, but the challenge for them is: 'Am I going to find suitable employment.' "

It is myths, such as that one, that Blakely-Armitage hopes are clarified through a new chart book, "Upstate New York in Profile: Trends, Projections, and Community and Economic Development Issues." Blakely-Armitage is the lead author of the book that outlines key demographic, economic and social trends in upstate New York.

The book will serve as a resource at the "State of Upstate New York Conference: Resiliency, Partnerships and Innovations," in downtown Syracuse on June 8 and 9. The conference is open to the public.

Produced by the Community and Regional Development Institute at Cornell, the book covers several key areas: Economic development, workforce trends, local and regional government, schools and youth, health care, income and poverty, environment, land use and natural resources, community energy and agriculture and food systems. Data in each section are first reported for the state as a whole, and then compared to the data for upstate New York. Upstate is defined as the 53 counties north of Westchester and Rockland Counties.

The book uses data from the decennial U.S. Census for the years 1990, 2000 and 2010, and from the American Community Survey. There is also primary data collected by the State of Upstate survey. The survey was designed by the institute and was conducted in January 2011. It was a telephone survey administered to 600 upstate households.

Blakely-Armitage hopes the chart book provides good information that enables people to make informed decisions.

"We all get caught up in headlines that are often misperceptions or wrong," she said. "Having good information and good data is the starting point for how to approach a problem."

For example, the chart book shows poverty rates in upstate are going up. The book will get policy makers on the same page with what the trends are, Blakely-Armitage said. Then, discussions can take place about how to go about changing things.

The book also shows that upstate has differed from the rest of the state in that manufacturing was the largest employer in the region by the year 2009. In upstate in 2000, manufacturing employed 14.5 percent of the labor force, but by 2009 that had dropped to 10.2 percent.

For the state as a whole, manufacturing declined from 8.6 percent in 2000 to 5.9 by 2009.

Upstate also differs from the rest of the state in terms of racial makeup. In 1990, more than 69 percent of the population was white in New York State. By 2009, that number decreased to a bit more than 60 percent. Asian and Pacific Islanders increased from 3.8 to 7.3 percent in that time period and Hispanics increased from 12.4 to 16.8 perfect. African Americans increased as a percent of the population from 14.4 to 15.2 percent.

In 2009 in upstate, however, 84.7 percent of the total population was white. African Americans comprised 7.8 percent of the population and Hispanics 4.9 percent.

"The chart book is not a prescription for policies," Blakely-Armitage said. "But it puts people on the same page with what the trends are so they are not misinformed about what is going on. We are hoping to give people a broad overview of basic trends."

Here's the link:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...text|FRONTPAGE

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 11:01 PM
Old Fart Forumer

A brief news report concerning a conference about Upstate NY. A bitt of cautious optimism. From YNN tv:

http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top...re-of-upstate/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 7:09 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Seems like a good idea, but I'm not going to hold my breath that it will stop the outflow (from the Ithaca Journal):

Quote:
Tax cap: Will it stop the exodus?

Poll shows 26% plan to leave N.Y. within five years
5:46 PM, Jul. 16, 2011

Written by
Jon Campbell

Just 10 miles south of the parking lot at National Pipe & Plastics sits Pennsylvania, where the average resident pays 60 percent of the property taxes New Yorkers pay.

National Pipe & Plastics, whose PVC piping is known and used nationally, has called Vestal its home since 1970, but the temptation to set up shop across the state line is constant.

With the state's property taxes skyrocketing over the years, some New York residents and businesses are faced with a perpetual dilemma: tighten their belts or flee to a state where their dollar goes further.

Full article:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...text|FRONTPAGE

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 7:18 PM
33 Gates Circle

Upstate New York isn't discussed much here, but it has been turning around slowly but surely. You have SolarCity moving into Buffalo, 43North, a lot of infrastructure improvements all across the state, business incentives for job creation (i.e. StartUp NY), etc. Hopefully there are some people here who are from the area!

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Upstate New York isn't discussed much here, but it has been turning around slowly but surely. You have SolarCity moving into Buffalo, 43North, a lot of infrastructure improvements all across the state, business incentives for job creation (i.e. StartUp NY), etc. Hopefully there are some people here who are from the area!
I agree and here is a great website that shows what is going on in Upstate NY: http://innovationtrail.org/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast